• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Waratah Fan Forum

Waratah fan forum:

• Good idea

Votes: 27 60.0%
  • Bad idea

Votes: 18 40.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
so we've got people going because Drew's going, another cause there's nothing better to do and won't say anything bad about the team.

Are NSWRU going to get anything productive out of this? Is there anyway it can be productive?

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
I'm really not convinced about the whole concept... how many are going, will everyone get a chance to ask a question or just the loud ones?

What is it they'll achieve from an open forum as opposed to other ways of seeking feedback, such as contracting AC Nielsen or equivalent to survey members.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
so we've got people going because Drew's going, another cause there's nothing better to do and won't say anything bad about the team. Are NSWRU going to get anything productive out of this? Is there anyway it can be productive?

RR, for what it's worth, my own view is that the Tahs' management had absolutely no choice but to do something like this, for symbolic consultative purposes if nothing else. Having your fans boo the team in a generally winning match situation is a sign of serious fan anger, getting worse, and justified or not in the eyes of the team and coaches. Boil lancing was a must. Any competent team management would have had to do something similar, and quickly.

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
Just because the attendees who post on here aren't planning a tirade or a devils advocate session doesn't mean there wont be one.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
RR, for what it's worth, my own view is that the Tahs' management had absolutely no choice but to do something like this, for symbolic consultative purposes if nothing else.
Yep something like that. A thousand "Dorothy Dixes" and some party pies and some photos with players pressing the flesh.
A news conference confirming open and frank discussions that have been taken on board.
Both Phil & Hickey to re affirm their commitment to open/expansive/running game.
Job done.
Nothing will change, they will break my fucking heart again next year.

HodgoBerro

Bill Watson (15)
so we've got people going because Drew's going, another cause there's nothing better to do and won't say anything bad about the team.

Are NSWRU going to get anything productive out of this? Is there anyway it can be productive?

Hey free entertainment. Can't go wrong...

You tend to flit from flower to flower, Hodgo. Berrick is so yesterday.

Hmmm like a fashion trend, so who's next?!

meatsack

Ward Prentice (10)
My main concern with this, is that its something only core fans will attend. I think core fans have loyalty and belief and will attend most games anyway. The real concern is the semi-fans who probably won't turn up to a game if a team is getting bad mouthed. Unfortunately its the sem-fans opinions that the NSWRU is really after.

While there certainly are periods of play where the Tahs go 10-man rugby heavy, if you look at the stats overall, they play attacking rugby pretty well. There does seem to be a bit of a reputation that isn't totally true.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
RR, for what it's worth, my own view is that the Tahs' management had absolutely no choice but to do something like this, for symbolic consultative purposes if nothing else. Having your fans boo the team in a generally winning match situation is a sign of serious fan anger, getting worse, and justified or not in the eyes of the team and coaches. Boil lancing was a must. Any competent team management would have had to do something similar, and quickly.

The problem is, it isn't serious fan anger, thats all manufactured bs by the media. People on here and diehards may be pissed by the way they played against the cheetahs, but the booing was because everyone went "cheetahs, sweet, we will win by 50" and it didn't happen. It was and never has been the whole crowd booing and had they scored a late try and won The game there probably wouldn't have been booing at all.

T

TOCC

WJ, you cant seriously believe the whole thing is manufactured by the media, yes the media is a enabler, but the accountability is still on the Tahs.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member

This is PR bullocks, bring in the "fans", let them rank, listen, show you care, do whatever you were planning anyway

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
I read in the SMH today that apparently no members of the Waratahs Board or the NSWRU Board are
planning to attend. If true, what an abrogation of duty and accountability, putting the whole weight of this solely back upon coaches and players. These Board members absence IMO will speak volumes about the entire situation.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I read in the SMH today that apparently no members of the Waratahs Board or the NSWRU Board are
planning to attend. If true, what an abrogation of duty and accountability, putting the whole weight of this solely back upon coaches and players. These Board members absence IMO will speak volumes about the entire situation.

The old farts in blazers brigade in rugby has always been an issue, few ever do anything of value, most just get in the way

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
The problem is, it isn't serious fan anger, thats all manufactured bs by the media. People on here and diehards may be pissed by the way they played against the cheetahs, but the booing was because everyone went "cheetahs, sweet, we will win by 50" and it didn't happen. It was and never has been the whole crowd booing and had they scored a late try and won The game there probably wouldn't have been booing at all.

I don't know but to have a stab in the dark, the impression I get is the Warratahs fans are feeling disrespected by the franchise they support. The off field stuff and the on field stuff have been intertwined when they are probably seperate issues. It doesn't really mattrer how "unattractive" the Tahs play when you miss large portions of the game waiting in a linup at the bar or the dunny. I also don't know how wise it is to class the fans into diehards ect because that wont fill the SFS.

rugbysmartarse

Alan Cameron (40)
Not sure I agree Ruggo - the fans who are booing dont really give a shit about the off field boardroom inneptitude of the NSWRU - not sice the McKenzie sacking anyway. The fans are booing because they are not getting the spectacle they believe they payed for. The real issue is that with the way the media has gloried in the crowd dissatisfaction the event of a rugby match at the SFS has the reputation of being sub par, and the drift in drift out fan (which as posted above is the target demo) looks elsewhere for his saturday night thrills (mostly in the bermuda triangle between the rocks, king st wharf and the Ivy).

jay-c

Ron Walden (29)
i like many fans have not been happy with the amount of times the tahs kick away possession, some players i have been very critical of>
this overuse of this suggests the players are not encouraged to run with the ball or play whats in front of them.
but the backline play of the warratahs was criticized all through mckenzies era too- for good reason.
with the talent available this is unacceptable.

my issue with the board is with the marketing> it seems they have been doing the same thing over and over every year and expecting a different result... insanity anyone?
charging 50 bucks for a decent ticket and $6.50 for mid strength beers is not appealing to the masses>

FILL THE FKN STANDS> ive made this point before but id suggest nswru looks at filling the stands first, then figuring out how they can make money off it instead of ripping off the loyal supporters they have left
nswru should broaden its target market>
for the big nrl games buses are organised from distant suburbs> warratahs are NSW! if there is free buses organised from western sydney etc i didnt know about it(which is a problem in itself)>> how about nsw rugby organising to offer buses for pick up and drop off for places that arnt sydney if people can fill a bus? im sure a footy club could manage this without much trouble
how about a free bus organised from the shute shield games? with a 10 dollar ticket? they get a few thousand at these games and theres a few of these games on every saturday

*make it a night out> an american advisor would be worth contracting as they know how to throw a party> look at what the american influence did to xfactor in the uk> all of a sudden theres big light shows, big stars making appearances, big fireworks= big production

i understand many of my ideas involve giving away free/ cheap tickets to fill the stands but this model is one which would allow for increased profits over a 5 year+ period> going for the immediate gains of charging high prices for everything isnt attracting anyone new

im glad they have organised a fan forum because it tells me they want to fix the problem... but you know what it tells me what i dont like to hear?
that the board cant make their own decisions to fix the problem- which is exactly what they are being paid for>

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member

Well, I'd happily ask why they aren't there, but I suspect the coaches and players won't have an answer.
I was thinking of asking whether any of us, as fans, had the right to ask a question, given that none of us have played at that level? Would that be too obtuse?
I will be interested to see how it pans out, but hold few hopes it will achieve anything other than a chance for more platitudes about what they are trying to do on the field, despite the lack of any substantiating evidence.

Status
Not open for further replies.