• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallaby Watch 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
He also said Godwin was in the team so maybe Lilo lucky to be there?
Yes that is my thinking Lilo and probably Horne lucky. Maybe McCabe. Hard to see who else would not have been in.
He also suggested that burgess was there but for the injury. I would suggest Phipps lucky to be in as well.
Love that English is getting a run in the squad. A great prospect.

T

Train Without a Station

I hope squeaky isn't captain. If by now not a single one of the many coaches he has had thought he was capable, especially considering the rotation and uncertainty of both wallaby and brumby captains in his time, I'd say it's likely he's just not the type that makes a good captain. He's the only common theme amongst him being overlooked.

BDA

Jim Lenehan (48)
he doesnt strike me as a stand-out choice as captain. iv never met the bloke but he seems pretty softly spoken (and not in the vein of John Eales)

WTF?

Tom Lawton (22)
I hope squeaky isn't captain. If by now not a single one of the many coaches he has had thought he was capable, especially considering the rotation and uncertainty of both wallaby and brumby captains in his time, I'd say it's likely he's just not the type that makes a good captain. He's the only common theme amongst him being overlooked.

My opinion is that squeaky won't be captain as was mentioned on Rugby HQ that the person picked needs to have the respect of the team. Not wishing to delve into the Dublin issue again too much but I think he did not come across well to a number of players that night. And most of those who faced discipline are in the squad and are likely starters.

Hooper for mine.

CTPE

Nev Cottrell (35)
For the record:
PROP
Ben ALEXANDER, ACT Brumbies, 29 yrs, 62 caps
Pek COWAN, Western Force, 27 yrs, 5 caps
Sekope KEPU, NSW Waratahs, 28 yrs, 38 caps
Scott SIO, ACT Brumbies, 22 yrs, 4 caps
James SLIPPER, Queensland Reds, 24 yrs, 49 caps

HOOKER
Nathan CHARLES, Western Force, 25 yrs, Uncapped
Stephen MOORE, ACT Brumbies, 31 yrs, 91 caps
Tatafu POLOTA-NAU, NSW Waratahs, 28 yrs, 46 caps

LOCK
Sam CARTER, ACT Brumbies, 24 yrs, Uncapped
James HORWILL, Queensland Reds, 28 yrs, 48 caps
Luke JONES, Melbourne Rebels, 23 yrs, Uncapped
Rob SIMMONS, Queensland Reds, 25 yrs, 37 caps
Will SKELTON, NSW Waratahs, 22 yrs, Uncapped

BACKROW
Scott FARDY, ACT Brumbies, 29 yrs, 10 caps
Scott HIGGINBOTHAM, Melbourne Rebels, 27 yrs, 23 caps
Matt HODGSON, Western Force, 32 yrs, 6 caps
Michael HOOPER, NSW Waratahs, 22 yrs, 28 caps
Ben McCALMAN, Western Force, 26 yrs, 29 caps
Wycliff PALU, NSW Waratahs, 31 yrs, 49 caps

SCRUMHALF
Will GENIA, Queensland Reds, 26 yrs, 55 caps
Nick PHIPPS, NSW Waratahs, 25 yrs, 14 caps
Nic WHITE, ACT Brumbies, 23 yrs, 10 caps

FLYHALF
Kurtley BEALE, NSW Waratahs, 25 yrs, 39 caps
Bernard FOLEY, NSW Waratahs, 24 yrs, 4 caps

CENTRE
Tevita KURIDRANI, ACT Brumbies, 23 yrs, 8 caps
Christian LEALI’IFANO, ACT Brumbies, 26 yrs, 13 caps
Matt To'omua, ACT Brumbies, 24 yrs, 10 caps

BACK-THREE
Adam ASHLEY-COOPER, NSW Waratahs, 30 yrs, 91 caps
Nick CUMMINS, Western Force, 26 yrs, 12 caps
Israel FOLAU, NSW Waratahs, 25 yrs, 15 caps
Rob HORNE, NSW Waratahs, 24 yrs, 15 caps
Pat McCABE, ACT Brumbies, 26 yrs, 20 caps

Super Rugby Franchise
NSW Waratahs, 11
ACT Brumbies, 10
Western Force, 5
Queensland Reds, 4
Melbourne Rebels, 2

Squad Ages
Oldest: 32
Youngest: 22
players > 30: 4
Average Age: 25.9

Caps
831 Test Caps
Most Capped: 91
> 50 caps: 4
> 30 caps: 7
< 10 caps: 5 (& >= 1 cap)
Uncapped: 4
Average Caps: 26

My first test 23 v French
1. Pek Cowan
2. Steven Moore (c)
3. Ben Alexander
4. Luke Jones
5. Will Skelton
6. Scott Fardy
7. Michael Hooper
8. Wycliffe Palu
9. Will Genia (VC)
10. Bernard Foley
11. Adam Ashley-Cooper/ Nick Cummins
12. Matt Tooma
13. Tevita Kuridrani/Adam Ashley-Coope
14. Rob Horne
15. Israel Folau
16. Nathan Charles
17. James Slipper
18. Sekope Kepu
17. Rob Simmons
18. Matt Hodgson
19, Scott Higgenbotham
20. Nick White
21. Kurtley Beale
22. Tevita Kurindrani/Nick Cummins
23. Pat McCabe

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
Don't think it was as clear cut as that mate.

I would actually be surprised if Moore wanted it to be honest. I cant believe I would ever be saying this but personally I think the best candidate at the moment is Horwill. He is a known quantity, experienced and I think the more recent experiences with the Reds difficulties may have made him wiser and the confidence boost may help his game. Link can also keep developing him towards what we need captain - wise for a WC.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
If he didn't believe, along with Blades' advice, that they could improve those aspects, I'm sure they would have ignored him completely.
Ryan has scrummed quite well before, but has fallen away markedly this year. I guess McKenzie and Blades see something above our pay grades. ;)

Someone somewhere (this thread?) drew attention to Cheika's (somewhat surprising) lack of interest in scrums so I found the link: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/u...by-test-yet-against-lions-20140514-zrc9w.html
Maybe Ryan is a victim of that and they reckon they can put the time in where Cheika can't/won't.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
My opinion is that squeaky won't be captain as was mentioned on Rugby HQ that the person picked needs to have the respect of the team. Not wishing to delve into the Dublin issue again too much but I think he did not come across well to a number of players that night. And most of those who faced discipline are in the squad and are likely starters.

^^^

Don't think it was as clear cut as that mate.

Micheal

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Beale is a far better defender than Foley.

Which is not to say he's good, just that he's much better than rubbish.

You have got to be taking the piss. Foley is a great defender at 10. Sure he doesn't put on big hits a la To'omua but he's a handy defender and rarely misses tackles. How could he have represented Australia in 7s as a weak defender?

And re: Beale's defense. Sure its not great, but I'd say people often get carried away with how bad it supposedly is. He certainly doesn't make dominant tackles, and every time he goes to make a tackle I'll admit I get a little bit nervous, but he seems to have stepped up and doesn't shy away from contact like he used to (and like Quade often does). He goes low, hangs on for all dear life and often gets the player down.

This site amazes me sometimes. Sometimes one person will post one thing, the next twenty will agree with him just to fit in, and before you know it its become a universal fact. Its a matter of time before we're flooded with posts that Genia's an incredible box kicker.

Anyway, overall I'm very happy with the squad. The pack will be undoubtedly strong, and our tight five should show considerable improvement from last year with fresh blood evoking a bit of healthy competition (although the front row, bar Moore, is still a worry).

In terms of the contentious fly-half spot, I've often said I would like to see To'omua starting, as I believe he provides the full package as the Kiwi flyhalfs have always seemed to do. He's a good defender, good in attack and a stable option in general.

That being said he's by far our best twelve, and I'm interested to see how Foley will fare if given the shot. He's got a similar game to him - not draw dropping, but stable. The combination could be a keeper but only time will tell.

The wing options look worrying - Horne, McCabe and Cummins are not renowned for their kicking games. Izzy, whilst he can kick, does so reluctantly, so it'll be interested to see how our back three will look in defence.

One thing I'm extremely excited thought is that all players seem to be good blokes, honest and hard working blokes. This squad has a good look to it in terms of the characters that compose it, and the combination of youth and experience. While two of the three amigos still linger, it seems that they aren't the people they once were and that the squad wouldn't put up with it if they ever showed signs of old ways.

This could be the beginning of an era. I'm excited. Carn the Wobs.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
My first test 23 v French
1. Pek Cowan
2. Steven Moore (c)
3. Ben Alexander
4. Luke Jones
5. Will Skelton
6. Scott Fardy
7. Michael Hooper
8. Wycliffe Palu
9. Will Genia (VC)
10. Bernard Foley
11. Adam Ashley-Cooper/ Nick Cummins
12. Matt Tooma
13. Tevita Kuridrani/Adam Ashley-Coope
14. Rob Horne
15. Israel Folau
16. Nathan Charles
17. James Slipper
18. Sekope Kepu
17. Rob Simmons
18. Matt Hodgson
19, Scott Higgenbotham
20. Nick White
21. Kurtley Beale
22. Tevita Kurindrani/Nick Cummins
23. Pat McCabe

Rob Simmons at tight head prop. Matt Hodgson at lock. Four/five back reserves. Needs a rethink.

Getwithme

Cyril Towers (30)
A little off topic but my team for the world cup
1. Scott Sio- Good boppa, does well at scrum time
2. Stephen Moore- It's Stephen Moore
3. Toby Smith- Good Scrummager, Fit
4. Luke Jones-Carts it up, bulk carries/lineout
5. Scott Fardy- Good over the ball, agile/lineout
6. Scott Higginbotham- Attacking weapon and can tackle a house down. Just don't give any penalties away
7. David Pocock (If not injured)- It's a fit David Pocock, that's right I remember
8. Wycliff Palu- Another impact man at 8. If he gets moving, like the last few weeks for the tahs, get out of his way
9. Will Genia- This was close. Gives me the shits when he tries too hard or does one of those stupid kicks but in form, the best in the world
10. Quade Cooper- Alot better game management/defence than previous. Not as quick feeted but still good
11. James O'Connor- Kicker, good finisher, provided he's not a idiot
12. Matt To'omua- Defends like a brick wall. Good distribution. They have a nice combo 10,12,13
13. Tevita Kurindrani- Good impact at 13. Has decent D
14. Henry Speight- Lighting in attack and good d. No need to be able to kick really when Izzy can and JOC (James O'Connor) is more than able
15. Israel Folau- It's Folau
16. Ben Alexander
17. Polata-Nau
18. Pek Cowan?
18. Rob Simmons
19. Michael Hooper
20. Nic White
21. Kurtley Beale
22. Rob Horne

Beefcake

Bill Watson (15)
You have got to be taking the piss. Foley is a great defender at 10. Sure he doesn't put on big hits a la To'omua but he's a handy defender and rarely misses tackles. How could he have represented Australia in 7s as a weak defender?

A long bow to draw in comparing the defender in 7s to that of 15s, let alone test rugby. Barnesy cuts a similar figure (before he retired) and who I would describe as a handy defender compared to the speed bump that is Foley. And those 7s credentials are hardly setting the Tahs on fire, but his combo with Beale seems to work well. So I can only assume Foley is the insurance policy, like Marty Holah was to Mcaw. Not that he doesnt deserve his place, but when you consider Links selection in the pivot, the player is either an artist or a surgeon, and his backups are accountants ala Barnes haha... But agree that its a fine team :)

Bairdy

Peter Fenwicke (45)
1. Slipper
2. Moore
3. Kepu
4. Jones
5. Simmons
6. Fardy (c)
7. Hooper (vc)
8. Palu
9. Genia
10. Beale
11. Cummins
12. To'omua
13. Kuridrani
14. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
15. Folau

16. TPN or Charles, 17. Sio or Cowan, 18. Alexander, 19. Horwill or Skelton, 20. McCalman, 21. White, 22. Leali'ifano, 23. McCabe.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Well Link has plenty of experience playing Beale at 10. In any case I imagine the 10 and 12 will be two of Foley, Beale and To'omua with the other on the bench.

To'omua will be 12.

One of Beale or Foley 10.

Good chance Lilo is the one on the bench.

Status
Not open for further replies.