• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallaby Watch 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

It is what it is

John Solomon (38)
Beale doesn't lack courage in defence, he's just technically inept.
Watch his lack of footwork and balance when he defends head on.
He doesn't get his body into a position to be able to move his feet quickly so many times he's left lunging in mid air when a step is put on him.

WTF?

Tom Lawton (22)
A little off topic but my team for the world cup
1. Scott Sio- Good boppa, does well at scrum time
2. Stephen Moore- It's Stephen Moore
3. Toby Smith- Good Scrummager, Fit
4. Luke Jones-Carts it up, bulk carries/lineout
5. Scott Fardy- Good over the ball, agile/lineout
6. Scott Higginbotham- Attacking weapon and can tackle a house down. Just don't give any penalties away
7. David Pocock (If not injured)- It's a fit David Pocock, that's right I remember
8. Wycliff Palu- Another impact man at 8. If he gets moving, like the last few weeks for the tahs, get out of his way
9. Will Genia- This was close. Gives me the shits when he tries too hard or does one of those stupid kicks but in form, the best in the world
10. Quade Cooper- Alot better game management/defence than previous. Not as quick feeted but still good
11. James O'Connor- Kicker, good finisher, provided he's not a idiot
12. Matt To'omua- Defends like a brick wall. Good distribution. They have a nice combo 10,12,13
13. Tevita Kurindrani- Good impact at 13. Has decent D
14. Henry Speight- Lighting in attack and good d. No need to be able to kick really when Izzy can and JOC (James O'Connor) is more than able
15. Israel Folau- It's Folau
16. Ben Alexander
17. Polata-Nau
18. Pek Cowan?
18. Rob Simmons
19. Michael Hooper
20. Nic White
21. Kurtley Beale
22. Rob Horne

No AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)? Should be one of the first picked, if not should def. be on the bench. You have picked a bunch of players who's form is not 100% at the moment (Kurindrani, Genia, Cooper) plus Pocock who could be anything when he gets back from injury, but not included one of the most consistent players in both Sky Blue and Gold. Are you picking on what form they will show next year?

What gives?

Pete King

Phil Hardcastle (33)
I'd have Squeaky Moore as captain with Hoops his deputy.
We need an uncompromising leader who will walk the walk and demand some spine.
Ask Victor Vito how compromising Michael Hooper is.... id be surprised if he isnt still sore from Hooper thumping him in defence.

Pete King

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Truth is Beale if given the chance will do the job v the french with the help of To'omua outside him and possibly hiding him in defence. I wouldnt be so confident with him there in RC or RWC. I dont think he has the ability to control the game like Foley. Dont get me wrong Foley is no world beater at the moment but he has a good kicking game and equally capable of keeping ball in hand.

BarneySF

Bob Loudon (25)
Beale doesn't lack courage in defence, he's just technically inept.
Watch his lack of footwork and balance when he defends head on.
He doesn't get his body into a position to be able to move his feet quickly so many times he's left lunging in mid air when a step is put on him.

And it's that technical ineptness that makes me feel that putting Beale at 10 would be a mistake. IMO, while he can certainly light up and do some miracle plays, don't recall him being able to 'settle' and take control. For whatever reason, I think Foley at 10 allows the unpredictability factor (sniping runs); a pretty solid kicking/passing game (able to put players in space, for example), but also the ability to take control of the backline and calm the ship a bit if needed. Plus with To'omua outside him, you have a rock/play maker as well. Bench for Beale please.

(Having said all that, if we're going to try Beale at 10, suppose would prefer it be against the Frogs rather an ABs/SAF!)

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I find it somewhat telling that the person picking Pocock at 7 in their RWC team also only picked 22 players.

If there's ever been a clearer sign that someone is picking on 2011 form, I haven't seen it!

I don't think anyone underestimates how good Pocock is at his best, but Hooper has been the most consistent player in the team for two years and is seemingly one of the two favourites to be awarded the captaincy in just over a week. The task for Pocock to get ahead of him within a season after two knee reconstructions is immense.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Agreed Hooper is tough but he's also young. A couple of years under Moore as his VC taking control of the team for the last 20 or so in each test would be a good apprenticeship.

BarneySF

Bob Loudon (25)
Truth is Beale if given the chance will do the job v the french with the help of To'omua outside him and possibly hiding him in defence. I wouldnt be so confident with him there in RC or RWC. I dont think he has the ability to control the game like Foley. Dont get me wrong Foley is no world beater at the moment but he has a good kicking game and equally capable of keeping ball in hand.

Swear I didn't read your post - even though I pretty much copy-typed it verbatim. ;)

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
On Beale's and Foley's defense, it is "10" standard, the variants are the Wilkos, Toomuas & Carters, not Beale & Foley who defend to the Larkham standard, meaning they will get run over every so often

I found it interesting to see how the Tahs handle having two ""10s" in the side

At defensive lineouts, Foleys stands at defensive Hooker, Hooper at 10 and Nau is a lifter, Beale plays 2nd fullback with Folau

Defensive scrums, not sure where Foley defends, but with AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) & Horne nearby he does OK, but Beale plays 2nd fullback with Folau

Foley to me is a good legs defender who can get run over at times, but he isn't timid or a shirker.

Beale seems less "keen" to put his body on the line, but he can when he puts his mind to it

It works and whilst not a great fan of the "hiding" defenders, the tahs system has them the best defensive side in the comp

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Actually by that argument - that is exactly why I'd want to put Foley at 10 as well - to have a look now.

Link talked of Foley as Cooper's back up last season a few times yesterday in various interviews; and when asked if Foley would have been in the squad if Cooper was available, he immediately said "yes"

BarneySF

Bob Loudon (25)
Link talked of Foley as Cooper's back up last season a few times yesterday in various interviews; and when asked if Foley would have been in the squad if Cooper was available, he immediately said "yes"

Somehow I think, if Dingo was still Coach, I would resign myself to Beale being a dead cert for 10. Or perhaps JOC (James O'Connor).

Richo

John Thornett (49)
You have got to be taking the piss. Foley is a great defender at 10. Sure he doesn't put on big hits a la To'omua but he's a handy defender and rarely misses tackles. How could he have represented Australia in 7s as a weak defender?

And re: Beale's defense. Sure its not great, but I'd say people often get carried away with how bad it supposedly is. He certainly doesn't make dominant tackles, and every time he goes to make a tackle I'll admit I get a little bit nervous, but he seems to have stepped up and doesn't shy away from contact like he used to (and like Quade often does). He goes low, hangs on for all dear life and often gets the player down.

This site amazes me sometimes. Sometimes one person will post one thing, the next twenty will agree with him just to fit in, and before you know it its become a universal fact. Its a matter of time before we're flooded with posts that Genia's an incredible box kicker.

As a Waratahs member, I have had the pleasure of watching Foley fall off and miss tackles plenty of times the last two seasons. Suggesting he was rubbish was overstating it, but he's not a "great defender at 10". Just my opinion from having watched him play a lot of 15-man rugby -- nowhere near as convincing as "he played 7s so he must be a good defender" but I'll live with it.

Now if you'll excuse me I have to go back to counting up how many likes different posts receive so I can fit in with the herd better.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I found it interesting to see how the Tahs handle having two ""10s" in the side

At defensive lineouts, Foleys stands at defensive Hooker, Hooper at 10 and Nau is a lifter, Beale plays 2nd fullback with Folau

I was rewatching the Lions game a couple of nights ago and TPN stands at 10 sometimes as well.

Maybe it is determined by how many players the opposition are using in their lineout at the time (or who is lined up as a potential crash ball runner).

CTPE

Nev Cottrell (35)
"Hawko: Rob Simmons at tight head prop. Matt Hodgson at lock. Four/five back reserves. Needs a rethink."

Yep some late night red wine counting there with two 17's & 18's = 25! :(

New day counting results in:
1. Pek Cowan
2. Steven Moore (c)
3. Ben Alexander
4. Luke Jones
5. Will Skelton
6. Scott Fardy
7. Michael Hooper
8. Wycliffe Palu
9. Will Genia (VC)
10. Bernard Foley
11. Adam Ashley-Cooper
12. Matt Tooma
13. Tevita Kuridrani
14. Rob Horne
15. Israel Folau
16. Nathan Charles
17. James Slipper
18. Sekope Kepu
19. Rob Simmons
20. Scott Higgenbotham
21. Nick White
22. Kurtley Beale
23. Pat McCabe

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
On Beale's and Foley's defense, it is "10" standard, the variants are the Wilkos, Toomuas & Carters, not Beale & Foley who defend to the Larkham standard, meaning they will get run over every so often

Correction. You mean his defence is in the same style as Larkham's. Not standard. He is no-where near Larkhams standard.Beale misses wayy to many tackles and often is left looking bamboozled.

Beale seems less "keen" to put his body on the line, but he can when he puts his mind to it

This is why we should pick Foley. I feel he is in a better mind space then Beale - he continues to grow and has gotten better at both defence and attack, whereas I feel Beale has gone backwards.

Glad to be proven wrong though.

Deputy Van Halen

Larry Dwyer (12)
I'm really looking forward to Higgers being named captain.

Not that I agree with that, this thread just needs a lot more outrage and drama. It's about the only thing I miss from the Deans era really.

Status
Not open for further replies.