• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallaby Watch 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Train Without a Station

There is also a good chance Gill could surpass him. Just because he is the best in his position today doesn't mean we should lock him in for the next 2 years, especially with the 7 jersey having so many good candidates. Even Colby has a small chance to surpass him.

Better not name anybody captain then! What if somebody better comes along next year?!

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Yeah, I think this has cost Robinson in the last couple of years. If the Tahs focused heavily on their scrum, I'd bet that Robbo would be in the squad.

It says a lot about the Tahs focus (which I don't think is a bad thing for Super Rugby) that the only prop picked is the bench prop who is a better scrummager but not as good around the field.

Don't think it's his scrum work at all. He was playing shit around the park the past 2/3 years - this year I reckon he has improved a fair bit. Thats one of the reasons I wanted him in the squad.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Better not name anybody captain then! What if somebody better comes along next year?!

My argument is there is no point in naming a long-term captain. As mentioned by earlier posters who wished the captain to remain the same come RWC.

I don't see any major issues in naming Hooper Captain for now and changing it later on if another candidate steps up.

Westie

Sydney Middleton (9)
It seems to be paying off for Cheika too, the Waratahs currently boast the best defensive record and one of the highest breakdown retention % in the comp. Shift of focus to more important things in his eyes.

Interesting idea until you get found out. Ask Eddie Jones.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
So no opposition coaches are studying the Tahs strengths and weaknesses? It's still rugby.

Huh? The point is having a dominant scrum isn't much an advantage in Super Rugby. Look how many times a team is dominant and yet is told to get the ball out before a penalty is awarded. Why focus on something that will probably net little reward? Especially at the expense over more important things like defence and the breakdown.

This is different to Test rugby where a functioning scrum in vital.

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
see the article posted by GaffaChino regarding the injury. It was Strauss, it was a late hit, for no reason and it's cost a promising young player a chance at making the Wallabies...I stress chance.
Godwin tweeted it was done during the game nothing to do with the tackle.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
So no opposition coaches are studying the Tahs strengths and weaknesses? It's still rugby.

I'm sure other teams are targetting our scrum. In recent years we had a dominant scrum but our forward pack was getting beaten in the loose both in terms of physicality and breakdown work.

Now we're doing the opposite and winning more games.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Greg Growden is predicting that Beale gets selected at 10 for the first test.

When I challenged him and said that Foley was surely more likely, he said he doesn't think so and has known Link for a long time.

Will be interesting to see what happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.