• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallaby Watch 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
I reckon is Palu starts we'll see Higgers on the bench as a change of pace type reserve. McCalman has been the better player over the course of the season, but I reckon he might be seen either as a starter or not in the 23.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
I'm hoping Beale is being consider as a back 10 / bench player, with Foley as the go to guy.

For the world cup our 10s might be Foley and Cooper, with Beale providing coverage. The only good thing about Beale being named at 10 is that we wont see him at 12 and I think it makes more sense for Foley to be pick in front of him at 10.

Westie

Sydney Middleton (9)
Interesting that we've gone from picking wingers to having a bunch of utility backs, Cummins excepted.

On the 10/12 allocations

Maybe McKenzie wants to build on the shape to the wallaby game from last year and having To'omua (Lilo if injured) at 12 outside Foley (Beale if injured) is the way he wants to play it.

That gives him robust defence/carries and ball-playing/kicking options at 12 with some spark at 10.

To'omua has earned next crack.

bleedgold

Frank Row (1)
I wouldn't argue with either AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) or Fardy given the role temporarily either.

BUT why would we want a temporary captain 18 months out from a RWC?

Let's lock in Hoops or Squeeky and let them lead us to a RWC triumph!

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
Just because Benn Robinson isn't in this squad doesn't mean he wont be in the WC. He wasn't picked first up last year either, but he finished the year in the starting side. Link knows what he offers. Hopefully it will motivate him to up his game

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Surely Link would play To'omua at 10 ahead of Beale...

Surely....

Surely not! The Wallaby gameplan requires an expansive 10 and a conservative 12, as we saw on the last EOYT. The Brumbies gameplan requires a conservative 10 and 12, as we have seen this year. So, To'omua is first choice 10 for the Brumbies but first choice 12 for the Wallabies. Based on the EOYT I would imagine To'omua was almost the first one picked, even before Folau.

The players I feel sorry for are Lilo and McCabe. Had the Brumbies not continued with Jakeball, they could have played Lilo 10, To'omua 12 and given Lilo free rein at 10. Had they done so, Lilo would have been first choice 10 before Beale and Foley if he reproduced his 2012 form. But his skillset is not a good fit for a conservative 12 and when he plays it you can see he's not naturally comfortable with it.

You have to feel sorry for McCabe. Can't get a start at Canberra and still makes the Wallaby squad. I doubt he got much sleep in the last couple of nights.

Benaud

Tom Lawton (22)
I assume for captain they want someone likely to start in the WC.

Hooper being the youngest player in the squad probably doesn't help his chances. He's also a decent chance of being usurped in his position by Pocock next year too. The plus side of that is if he is usurped by Pocock, he'll probably be the captain so it'll be a simple replacement. I like the idea of naming whichever one ends up on the bench as vice captain too!

Moore is really the only other option but he'll probably only play 50-60 mins most games.

lewisr

Bill McLean (32)
I wouldnt read too much into those 'listed positions' that the ARU put up. Unless Link named the squad like that in the press conference?

They just seem to fuck that up all the time. I remember them having photos of james slipper as Quade Cooper and other weird positional crap last year.

Pretty fair squad I think, no real surprises and some reward for good form mixed with incumbency.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
I assume for captain they want someone likely to start in the WC.

Hooper being the youngest player in the squad probably doesn't help his chances. He's also a decent chance of being usurped in his position by Pocock next year too.

There is also a good chance Gill could surpass him. Just because he is the best in his position today doesn't mean we should lock him in for the next 2 years, especially with the 7 jersey having so many good candidates. Even Colby has a small chance to surpass him.

Status
Not open for further replies.