• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallaby Watch 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I wouldnt read too much into those 'listed positions' that the ARU put up. Unless Link named the squad like that in the press conference?

They just seem to fuck that up all the time. I remember them having photos of james slipper as Quade Cooper and other weird positional crap last year.

Pretty fair squad I think, no real surprises and some reward for good form mixed with incumbency.

That is how it was named by Link and released by the ARU.

I agree not to read a lot into it. I imagine if there was a category for utility backs, Beale, McCabe, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) and Horne would have all been listed there.

lewisr

Bill McLean (32)
That is how it was named by Link and released by the ARU.

I agree not to read a lot into it. I imagine if there was a category for utility backs, Beale, McCabe, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) and Horne would have all been listed there.

Rightio, I just cant find a replay of the presser anywhere. Interesting that's for sure, considering beale hasn't played 10 since last year.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
An interesting thought. Had Cooper not been injured I wonder who would have been dropped from Beale, Foley, McCabe, Lealifano.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Rightio, I just cant find a replay of the presser anywhere. Interesting that's for sure, considering beale hasn't played 10 since last year.

To'omua hasn't played 12 since last year.

AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) hasn't played anywhere but 13 since last year.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
Pretty good squad, happy to see Carter and Charles make it. Pek's an OK inclusion and I'm happy for him, but i'd be surprised if we see him this year. Maybe in the 23 at some point, but in the 15, unlikely.

I think they could afford to lose a lock and add and extra back. For me that's Horwill out and Mogg in.

As to the Captain, I think we get too caught up in who it is. NZ have a pretty stable option because of GOAT's mythical status. The Wallabies havent had anyone similar since Eales. I'm happy for it to be a fluid thing, we pick the best option at the time and if someone gets a roll on they become the permanent captain. But at this stage we could safely pick Moore or Hooper and just see where it goes.

scaraby

Ron Walden (29)
Why are we arguing about numbers on backs? When was the last time anyone stayed in their deignated position for the whole game? The new game is more like NFL where you get a defensive set piece team, a kick return team an attacking set piece team etc etc. You have to have different options on the field at all times unlike NFL where you can stop the clock and replace the whole team. Beale is your WTF was that team!! but he gets it done :)

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Just because Benn Robinson isn't in this squad doesn't mean he wont be in the WC. He wasn't picked first up last year either, but he finished the year in the starting side. Link knows what he offers. Hopefully it will motivate him to up his game

Only in Waratahs not the Wallabies, I think

BDA

Jim Lenehan (48)
Really happy with the Squad the only outrage I have is Ryan being in the extended training squad in place of Longbottom. The last thing we need to be doing is spending time developing a TH that cant scrummage.

Nice to see Speight, Neville and English in the Extended squad.

I really like that Jones, Skelton and Carter were all chosen. I hope they all get some game time against the French.

It would be great if we could win the first two games of the series, so that we could see everyone get a run.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Really happy with the Squad the only outrage I have is Ryan being in the extended training squad in place of Longbottom. The last thing we need to be doing is spending time developing a TH that cant scrummage.

That's probably the idea though.

If Ryan can improve his scrummaging he becomes a very good option.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I actually remember Paddy Ryan scrummaging very well in his debut vs France off the bench. Won a couple penalties IIRC. All the Waratah props are doing badly in terms of the scrum probably because Cheika barely does any scrum work which he alluded to.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I actually remember Paddy Ryan scrummaging very well in his debut vs France off the bench. Won a couple penalties IIRC. All the Waratah props are doing badly in terms of the scrum probably because Cheika barely does any scrum work which he alluded to.

Yeah, I think this has cost Robinson in the last couple of years. If the Tahs focused heavily on their scrum, I'd bet that Robbo would be in the squad.

It says a lot about the Tahs focus (which I don't think is a bad thing for Super Rugby) that the only prop picked is the bench prop who is a better scrummager but not as good around the field.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
It seems to be paying off for Cheika too, the Waratahs currently boast the best defensive record and one of the highest breakdown retention % in the comp. Shift of focus to more important things in his eyes.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
It seems to be paying off for Cheika too, the Waratahs currently boast the best defensive record and one of the highest breakdown retention % in the comp. Shift of focus to more important things in his eyes.

The scrum has gradually improved too as the season has gone on. If we'd played that Lions scrum early in the season we'd have lost every scrum.

Certainly the biggest improvement from last year is how much better our breakdown is. That has paid big dividends.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Like the squad and especially like the fact that we've rewarded some good young pigs with an opportunity. If Jones and Skelton keep improving at the rate they are they could be outstanding test footballers. I'm also happy for Foley to get a gig, because I think he's been pretty excellent for the Tahs over the last couple of seasons, the same with Nathan Charles too. Early in the season I wouldn't have had Horne anywhere near the squad but he's done the yards and totally earned a recall. Some tough decisions for Link in the starting line up I think.

And Squeak/Hooper for captain and vice captain (or vice versa, doesn't bother me). Both are outstanding players, great team men and would be good leaders.

Status
Not open for further replies.