• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallaby Watch 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pedrolicus

Dick Tooth (41)
Think it would be a mistake tyo leave Benn Robinson out of the mix - his experience is invaluable. Slipper has started all last year and Sio looks to be favorite to be the reserve LHP but I am a bit concerned about Scott's relative inexperience at Test level to have him in lieu of Robbo.

Maybe Sio's experience will be increased with the Frogs and EOYT sufficently.

Yeah, there's a strong top three. Sio is the most exciting applicant because of his age and power at the contact zone and the scrum. He has played well at test level, but also poorly at times. I think he was protected last season when he was dropped for the spring tour, seeing him as a future stalwart, management may have wanted to protect his scrummaging reputation while he develops. That time is over now and he will be tested, if he comes up short then Robinson is straight in there.

It's really good to have 3 decent loose heads, I'm more worried about who our 3rd best tight head is though. There will be injuries and we can't afford more than one in both the tight head and hooker positions.

Alex

Jimmy Flynn (14)
According to the SMH, Skelton has won THREE lineouts this season. How many would he win in Test matches? Shudder....
If I wanted to attack the opposition lineout there are few players I could think of that I would prefer to have lifting me. If you are defending at the front you need to be quick into the air with a good vertical leap (Mowen is as ggod as we have at this). But you also need a back lifter that gets you up high and fast. Willie could be the man for this.

Alex

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Yeah, there's a strong top three. Sio is the most exciting applicant because of his age and power at the contact zone and the scrum. He has played well at test level, but also poorly at times. I think he was protected last season when he was dropped for the spring tour, seeing him as a future stalwart, management may have wanted to protect his scrummaging reputation while he develops. That time is over now and he will be tested, if he comes up short then Robinson is straight in there.

It's really good to have 3 decent loose heads, I'm more worried about who our 3rd best tight head is though. There will be injuries and we can't afford more than one in both the tight head and hooker positions.
Where do we think Toby Smith rates - he is eligible but injured isn't he.

I have also been very impressed by the way Pek Cowan seems to have improved his scrummaging this year. He was always a great little worker that never quite had it at scrum time. I haven't seen all his games but have been quite impressed with what I have seen from the Forec front row. Any thoughts from the old props on the site?

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I think Toby Smith and Pek Cowan are probably an injury or two away from being considered..........

Slipper and Sio would have to be the first choice loose heads, and while Robinson hasn't been in great form he's got quality test experience.........

T

Train Without a Station

Who knows, but if he was on the field with Simmons, Higginbotham and Fardy for example, would it matter very much? It all depends on the combinations.

If Skelton was the 15th name penciled in on the team sheet based on the other 14 names I don't think he is a bad option.

If you start basing other selections on suiting his perceived weaknesses, I don't think he should be there

Alex

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Our loosehead depth is great, the tighthead not so much.
My recollection is that Slipper has gone alright on the TH side in the past - certainly not appreciably worse than the LH side. In the circumstances I wonder why we don't look to develop him there?

If I recall correctly, Greg Holmes debuted for the wallabies as a LH so giving Slipper a season of super rugby at TH should have been an option.

Tomikin

David Codey (61)
My recollection is that Slipper has gone alright on the TH side in the past - certainly not appreciably worse than the LH side. In the circumstances I wonder why we don't look to develop him there?

If I recall correctly, Greg Holmes debuted for the wallabies as a LH so giving Slipper a season of super rugby at TH should have been an option.
I also remember Alexander being a better LHP before being moved

Sent from my HTC_0P6A1 using Tapatalk

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Right now this is my 23

1. Slipper
 2. Moore
 3. Kepu
 4. Jones 
5. Fardy
 6. McCalman 
7. Hooper (c)
 8. Palu
 9. White
 10. Cooper 
11. Cummins
 12. To'omua
 13. Kuridrani
 14. Ashley-Cooper 
15. Folau

16. Polota-Nau
 17. Sio
 18. Alexander
 19. Skelton 
20. Higginbotham
 21. Genia
 22. McCabe
 23. Beale

I'd have Skelton coming on for Palu and moving Fardy to 6, McCalman to 8. Palu jumps at the front and I reckon you could keep Skelton at the front pod and use him as an option on the ground. I reckon having Skelton behind our tighthead in the last quarter of the game could be crucial. Kepu and Cooper keep their spots purely on EOYT form.

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
Well the Cooper v To'omua question may have been answered tonight cooper off after 10 with a shoulder injury didn't look good.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
Wish they would just announce the squad. AB's is out. Surely Ewen knows who is in his 30?

What's an AC3 tear take to come good. 3-4 months? That would be Cooper out until the EOYT.

D-Box

Cyril Towers (30)
But if they belt the French would you change a winning team?

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

scaraby

Ron Walden (29)
Only 4-6 weeks for AC grade 3. That's not too bad. He should be in the frame for the 4 nations .
Seeing it was a 50:50 on his form anyway I think we can safely assume that he won't be back until post RC unless the guys who play early stuff up. Sooooo....... If Link goes To'omua does that mean WHite's 9 .....I think so.
So White,To'omua,Beale,AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper),Badger,Izzy,no idea.....could even be foley at10 if tahs do we'll with To'omua playing 12 and Beale on bench but Ithink everyone is underestimating Beales influence when Tahs go we'll. He's assisted on a lot of Tahs tries and his defence is nowhere near as bad as the armchair critics would have you believe. Tried test player I think Link will go with him now. Lets watch tomorrow......at the ground guys....

Status
Not open for further replies.