• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallaby Watch 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I somewhat do agree with your comments about JOC (James O'Connor)'s utility value. That being said I think you overstate it a little. JOC (James O'Connor) in defence at 12 is as much of a liability as Beale. If he wasn't able to contain a previously limited McCabe and a perennially limited Tom Carter, I don't like his chances against guys like Davies, Nonu, etc.

Weren't you the one telling people not to hark back to Beale's form in 2010 etc?

T

Train Without a Station

Fair call, but when has JOC (James O'Connor) proven to be a better defender at 12, much like Beale has since been an inferior player?

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Tackling ability and defensive ability are two separate things. Don't confuse them. JOC (James O'Connor) can be a very good tackler. He can also be a very bad defender.

I assume you're referring to the differences between physically making the tackle and defensively putting yourself in the position to make the tackle? Because on both occasions you mentioned he was run over the top of.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Fair call, but when has JOC (James O'Connor) proven to be a better defender at 12, much like Beale has since been an inferior player?

Maybe the reality of the situation is that if we pick a 5:3 bench, the three backs will be a halfback, someone like McCabe who is reliable and can cover multiple positions and someone like a Beale of JOC (James O'Connor) who can also cover multiple positions and who could break a game open in the last 20 minutes when you're chasing the game and you need someone to do something a bit special.

T

Train Without a Station

It's being in the position to make the tackle, rather than miss the tackle or not complete it, it's being able to shut down the players options and cut down there space.

In a backline move, with even Julian Savea charging down the wing at JOC (James O'Connor), in the train tracks I'd feel confident of JOC (James O'Connor) making the tackle on him. With a fair bit of space and the decision making required in the midfield, less so. Much easier for a player to get to contact in a dominant position when they have time and space.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Tackling ability and defensive ability are two separate things. Don't confuse them. JOC (James O'Connor) can be a very good tackler. He can also be a very bad defender.
Being in a good team environment with well-drilled defensive structures can fix that if the first part of the puzzle is in place.
Problems?
1. JOC (James O'Connor) is used in such a utility fashion that he hardly seems to play one position for long enough to make it his own. As we all know, the defensive requirements in different backline positions vary a lot.
2. He's JOC (James O'Connor), and hasn't really shown he can be told.

He really could be a sensational player. My gut feeling is that he won't reach the heights he should.

T

Train Without a Station

I agree Cyclo. Most of JOC (James O'Connor)'s defensive issues come from the unnoticed, unglamorous parts of it.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
I agree about JOC (James O'Connor)'s versatility and I would rate JOC (James O'Connor)'s defence way above Beale. I really don't think they can be compared in that manner. I would be much more confident in playing JOC (James O'Connor) in the 12 channel before Beale. Positioning he might need to work on but tackling wise he is good.

10. To'omua
12. JOC (James O'Connor)

That would be a nicely balanced combo on attack and defence. JOC (James O'Connor) whilst not dominate but can tackle, whilst To'omua dominate.

I wouldn't have 10. Cooper 12. JOC (James O'Connor) as then you got 2 non-dominate tacklers.

But in reality, I'd still prefer 10. Cooper 12. To'omua any day but at least you get options if Cooper goes down.

As a winger JOC (James O'Connor) is world-class and has proven this at last RWC. As a 10, he is okay.

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
JOC (James O'Connor) played too many positions in the backline, simple as that. I also think Dean's conservative structure didn't help.

JOC (James O'Connor) played- 10,12,13,14,15

If you look at the great players, most of the time they stayed in one (maybe two) positions. Ella, Campese, Lynagh, Horan, Little, Moon, Slack, etc.

Personally, I think JOC (James O'Connor) isn't a 10. He does better when receiving the ball. I still hope to see him play decent rugby.

His biggest task is performing off the pitch.

I know this is another cliché post about the Wallabies past, but I just felt like having a whinge.

It is what it is

John Solomon (38)
JOC (James O'Connor) played too many positions in the backline, simple as that. I also think Dean's conservative structure didn't help.

JOC (James O'Connor) played- 10,12,13,14,15

If you look at the great players, most of the time they stayed in one (maybe two) positions. Ella, Campese, Lynagh, Horan, Little, Moon, Slack, etc.

Personally, I think JOC (James O'Connor) isn't a 10. He does better when receiving the ball. I still hope to see him play decent rugby.

His biggest task is performing off the pitch.

I know this is another cliché post about the Wallabies past, but I just felt like having a whinge.
Summary- JOC (James O'Connor) needs to learn how to become a 'giver' and not just a 'receiver' both on and off the field.

Tomikin

David Codey (61)
So anyone interested in a team picked based only on what the player plays for his club.. I thought about it today here would be mine at the moment. (and are not injured)

Slipper
Moore
Alexander
Fardy (He plays more lock)
Simmons
Cottrell
Hooper
Palu (But with Cottrell do we need another lineout option ? ? )
White
To'omua
Coleman ? ? ?
McCabe
AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
Badge
Izzy

I think Badge and Coleman both play 11 so 14 might have to be someone else ?

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
Matt Hodgson

It is no idle claim to suggest that the Force captain is arguably Super Rugby’s player of the season. While leading from the front as one of the competition’s best captains, Hodgson has made 162 tackles, 36 more than any other player with less than two matches.

TACKLES
Matt Hodgson 162 (10 appearances)
Jacques du Plessis 126 (12)
Boom Prinsloo 124 (12)
Warren Whiteley 123 (10)
Shane Christie 120 (9)

Matt Hodgson

What to say in a few words regarding a man who by numbers alone should be one of the first players picked for the Wallabies this year. His 20 turnovers represent a brilliant ability to reset himself after making one of his 162 tackles to cause havoc for most ball carriers.

TURNOVERS WON
Matt Hodgson 20 (10 appearances)
Jack Lam 15 (11)
Marcell Coetzee 15 (10)
Deon Fourie 12 (11)
Luke Braid 12 (9)
Michael Hooper 12 (10)

http://www.sanzarrugby.com/superrugby/news/the-player-elite-super-rugbye28099s-stat-leaders/

T

Train Without a Station

They are. Unfortunately he plays the same position as a 22 year old who won last years John Eales medal.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Agree TWAS, but those stats are compelling. What I would like to see however are the qualifying factors. Run metres and ball carries in particular. We should also note the differences in the play between the Force and the Tahs which could contribute significantly to the various stats of players.

It should also be noted that the role of the 7 has moved on a bit from the total fetcher role it had evolved into IMO. I think it has gone a bit back to what it used to be, a link player, rapid ball runner, cover defender and sometime fetcher. I would have to say that Hooper is the more rounded player in that regard, but have no doubt in a defensive rear guard type game Hodgeson would be the man.

T

Train Without a Station

Total amount of tackle stats are misleading too.

What style is the team playing? If you are kicking the ball away playing low risk of course you will make more tackles. That's exactly how the force play.

Also where does a player defend? Does he defend in a high traffic, lower difficult area tight where he only has to put his body on the line or is he making difficult tackles when the attackers have plenty of space?

In attack though Hodgson whilst a hard worker isn't particularly quick nor skilful so he does not offer a great deal.

The pilfer numbers are hard to ignore though. Sure they play on less possession so there's more chance but he is racking up 2 every game.

Status
Not open for further replies.