• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallaby Watch 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pete King

Phil Hardcastle (33)
How can you compare McCabe to Beale, it's so pointless. It's up to the coaches to decide their style of play they want from a 12 and then pick the player that suits that role. Is Beale a better tackler and runner than McCabe? Fuck no. Is McCabe a better passer and kicker than Beale? Fuck no.
why not have both on bench and then let the game dictate who and when to bring on.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I'll just put it out there. When was the last 2 games we beat the ABs?

2011 Suncorp - Beale winning try at the end
2010 Hong Kong - JOC (James O'Connor) winning try at the end and Beale's try assist to Mitchell

OK..........

Now pick one of the following emoticons which describes his most recent performances against the All Blacks:

a):eek:
b):oops:
c):mad:
d):rolleyes:
e) All of the above

Pete King

Phil Hardcastle (33)
16 TPN
17 Sio
18 Longbottom
19 Skelton
20 McCalman
21 Genia
22 McCabe
23 Beale

Tough tight encounter Q Cooper carrying loosely and down on confidence, forwards struggling to make the gain line
Out trots Mcabe and skelton - To'omua into 10 mcabe to 12 QC (Quade Cooper) pulled. skelton straight swap with Carter.

open running game backline struggling a little with cohesion looking to get izzy involved. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) to 13 Beale to 14 kudriani benched. counter attacking options a plenty and beale can pop up at 12, 10 at will from 14

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
OK....

Now pick one of the following emoticons which describes his most recent performances against the All Blacks:

a):eek:
b):oops:
c):mad:
d):rolleyes:
e) All of the above

I'm guessing this emoticon most closely describes Christian Leali'ifano in the first test against the Lions.

:confused:

This game will just go in circles and remind us of all the painful rugby watching we've tried to forget in recent years.

T

Train Without a Station

Sorry, but saying Beale should be picked on the basis that he doesn't really fit into the team with who we've got now, but he scored a great try in 2010 so he is a match winner is retarded logic.

What position does he come on at?

10? He's not a better 10 than Cooper. He's not a better playmaker than Cooper.

12? He'd be a liability in defence. De Villiers and Nonu would steam roll him.

15? Unless Folau is injured you aren't going to replace him. People talk about Beale's counter attack but I don't consider it to be better than Folau.

13? No.

Wing? What's he going to do? Come on, play out of position and get in the way of Cooper and To'omua? He's not a better typical winger than any other options.

Somebody like McCabe offers more versatility in that he covers everywhere from 12 out and has played all positions ably and Lealiafano can cover 12 and 12, has played 13 internationally.

Beale's a 15, playing 12 for the Tahs who's not gonna come on at 15 and you don't really want to come on at 10 and to offer what he's good it will likely find himself continuously out of position on the wing.

Beale strikes me as one of those players that can look good and do good things on the field, but can make it difficult for those around as he doesn't always fulfil the standard role of some positions he plays.

Benaud

Tom Lawton (22)
I'm not sure we need another back on the bench outside Genia and McCabe anyway. McCabe covers 12 out and To'omua covers 10 if Quade goes down. I'd be seriously considering the extra forward.

Pete King

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Sorry, but saying Beale should be picked on the basis that he doesn't really fit into the team with who we've got now, but he scored a great try in 2010 so he is a match winner is retarded logic.

What position does he come on at?

10? He's not a better 10 than Cooper. He's not a better playmaker than Cooper.

12? He'd be a liability in defence. De Villiers and Nonu would steam roll him.

15? Unless Folau is injured you aren't going to replace him. People talk about Beale's counter attack but I don't consider it to be better than Folau.

13? No.

Wing? What's he going to do? Come on, play out of position and get in the way of Cooper and To'omua? He's not a better typical winger than any other options.

Somebody like McCabe offers more versatility in that he covers everywhere from 12 out and has played all positions ably and Lealiafano can cover 12 and 12, has played 13 internationally.

Beale's a 15, playing 12 for the Tahs who's not gonna come on at 15 and you don't really want to come on at 10 and to offer what he's good it will likely find himself continuously out of position on the wing.

Beale strikes me as one of those players that can look good and do good things on the field, but can make it difficult for those around as he doesn't always fulfil the standard role of some positions he plays.

Think your being a touch unfair there to Beale, I agree with you in terms of his weakness' in defence makes him a liability as a starting 12 and if an injury early in the game occured id be throwing the jersey the way of McCabe. But with 20 to go often from your reserve backs u are looking for a game breaker, the type of player that can turn on a touch of brillance to break a deadlock this is Beale everyday of the week over McCabe and just about all other players in aus barring Folau. Id argue that he has shown this quite a bit more then once in 2010.

I dont think its beyond the wallaby camp to devise a few plays (1,2) where he could come in off the wing and not be in the way. he has a good combination with AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) and folau also so dont think this should or will be discounted

T

Train Without a Station

I thought we'd moved past our "need" for "x-factor" and "game breaker" type players and focused on their best team and tactics that would yield to tries.

If we're playing the All Blacks, and McKenzie's game plan, with Coopers long passing, To'omua's straight running and second play making option, with hard running Kuridrani and Cummins outside him as well as an evasive AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) and freakish Folau isn't able to yield us well constructed tries, I can't see Beale doing it all on his own.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
There are obviously plenty of us who think Beale is both a good chance and choice for the bench and just as many who completely disagree.

I guess we'll all get our first bit of insight next week when the squad is announced and then assuming Beale, Leali'ifano and McCabe are all part of it, we'll then have to wait until the start of June for the first test team to be announced.

T

Train Without a Station

2 years ago it was a different context. There was no Folau which left Beale being the best or second best fullback. In addition To'omua had not really shown his true ability which made Beale a viable flyhalf back up too, with Barnes and Cooper the only other options.

This has changed though and Beale has slipped down the pecking order for both positions. In addition he is not currently playing in either for that matter.

Pete King

Phil Hardcastle (33)
I thought we'd moved past our "need" for "x-factor" and "game breaker" type players and focused on their best team and tactics that would yield to tries.

If we're playing the All Blacks, and McKenzie's game plan, with Coopers long passing, To'omua's straight running and second play making option, with hard running Kuridrani and Cummins outside him as well as an evasive AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) and freakish Folau isn't able to yield us well constructed tries, I can't see Beale doing it all on his own.
good argument. We have a host of good players why would we pick another one.

Not sure who would want to move past having a game breaker on the bench, often these players arent suited to playing 80 as beale and Skelton certainly arent. Bit both can offer plenty in a short period of time.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
why not have both on bench and then let the game dictate who and when to bring on.

1385220736258.jpg

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Anyways, I don't think it's McCabe v Beale we should be discussing, but rather Lilo v Beale..........

Beale would be ahead on recent form, but Lilo is recovering from ankle surgery and was an integral part of the team last year.........

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Anyways, I don't think it's McCabe v Beale we should be discussing, but rather Lilo v Beale....

Beale would be ahead on recent form, but Lilo is recovering from ankle surgery and was an integral part of the team last year...
On current form, I wouldn't pick either. Anywhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.