• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallaby Watch 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tomikin

David Codey (61)
Oh how times have changed how many people here have said McCabe never to see Gold again.. His terrible unlucky to not be starting at 12 for Brumbies and probably been the form 12 in oz this year..

Onya Patty

Sent from my HTC_0P6A1 using Tapatalk

T

Train Without a Station

I'm thinking

1. Slipper (RED)
2. Moore (BRU)
3. Alexander (BRU)
4. Simmons (RED)
5. Horwill (RED)
6. Fardy (BRU)
7. Hooper (WAR)
8. Palu/Higginbotham/McCalman - probably will come down to the wire there
9.White (BRU)
10. Cooper (RED)
11. Cummins (FOR)
12. To'omua (BRU)
13. Kuridrani (BRU)
14. Ashley-Cooper (WAR)
15. Folau (WAR)

16. Charles (FOR)
17. Sio (BRU)
18. Kepu (WAR)
19. Carter (BRU)
20. Jones (REB)
21. Genia (RED)
22. Lealiafano (BRU)
23. McCabe (BRU)

My concern is that we have no coverage for 8. I don't see the French posing an issue if we lose a 7, though in the RC I would be carrying a reserve 7.

Dirty Dirties

1. Polata-Nau (WAR)
2. Longbottam (FOR)
3. Skelton (WAR)
4. Palu/Higginbotham/McCalman
5. Phipps (WAR)
6. Beale (WAR)
7. English (REB)

I haven't included Godwin as we have a fair bit of cover at 12 and his personal form this year has dropped from last year. I'd carry 2 of the 8 options in the squad and really can't decide which way I'd go. I'd be using Jones as a reserve 6 and Carter as a reserve lock. I'd be using McCabe to cover 13 out and Lilo as a reserve 12.

I wouldn't have Beale in the team. He's not going to come on at 15 and he's probably the 4th best 12 option in the squad.

I think that gives us the best scrummaging unit, definitely a strong line out. If Higgers was to start I think our line out would be an absolute weapon in fact.

That we have a strong kicking game between White, Cooper and To'omua and we also have a strong defending, hard running backline, whilst To'omua still provides the second playmaking option.

I've thrown English in as the last squad member as a bit of a roughie. Showed some great early form, has pace, size, and tackle breaking ability and could develop a lot being in the squad.

Based on more than just a few games form, I think that's a fair reflection in the squad break up too.

Brumbies: 6 Starters, 4 Bench, 0 Squad
Force: 1-2 Starters, 1 Bench, 1 - 2 Squad
Waratahs: 3 - 4 Starters, 1 Bench, 4 - 5 Squad
Reds: 4 Starters, 1 Bench, 0 Squad
Rebels: 0 - 1 Starters, 1 Bench, 1 - 2 Squad

Brumbies dominate the numbers as they should.

Force seem a little unlucky, but you have to consider that a number of their best performers have either been internationals, or Hodgson who should not be picked over Hooper. This isn't a RWC Squad, if there is an injury, you just replace them.

Waratahs have a high representation. They have a few non-playing squad members which is probably also a fair representation of where they are at - Good but a lot of 2nd best options in Aus.

Reds only have experienced Wallabies with a reasonable claim to a spot. Personally got no real attachment to Genia at the moment. If Phipps was picked over him I wouldn't see it as a bad call either.

Rebels have a couple of players who have put in stand out performances for them. The only other potential players with a claim I think are Burgess and Inman. Burgess hasn't done that much since returning to Aus and Inman misses out due to the deluge of midfield options playing just a little better that offer some versatility.

farva

Vay Wilson (31)
How about a probables v possibles squad:

Slipper Sio
Moore Chales
Alexander Longbottom
Simmons Jones
Horwill Carter
Fardy Cottrell
Hooper Hodgson
Palu McCalman
Genia Phipps
Cooper Foley
Cummins Coleman
To'omua Godwin
Kuridrani Inman
Tomane Morahan
Folau Beale

TPN Hanson
Kepu Ah-Nau
Robinson Alo-Emile
Skelton Neville
Higgenbotham McMahon
White Burgess
Lealiifano McCabe
AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) English

Would be a good game to see, and would give us some idea of who should be in the final squad, given quite a few positions are up for grabs (1, 3, 4, 5, 8, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14)

chiraag

Larry Dwyer (12)
This is really the series that we need to be bringing in potential young prospects to test them at international level. Get a few games under their belt at this level against slightly lesser opposition in the frogs, and they won't be getting thrown in the deep end against NZ or SA or in the RWC if they're shown to not quite be up to it. So this is the team I'd like to see:

1. Slipper
2. Moore (c)
3. Alexander
4. Simmons (unfortunately, for his lineout calling)
5. Jones
6. Fardy
7. Hooper (vc)
8. McCalman
9. White
10. To'omua
11. Cummins
12. Godwin
13. Kurindrani
14. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
15. Folau

16. Charles (hopefully he fixes his throwing in the next few games)
17. Sio
18. Longbottom
19. Coleman / Skelton (Carter unlucky, but less of an impact player)
20. Cottrell
21. Genia
22. Quade / Foley
23. McCabe / Morahan

...and then depending on how they go in the first game or two, more experienced players could be brought back in for those that possibly haven't covered themselves in glory, but at lease would bow have some international experience under their belt and time in the squad.

There's obviously a bit of Force bias there because of my allegiances, but they deserve to have some decent representation given their performance this year. They all have the right attitude as well, unlike Beale, JOC (James O'Connor), Horwill, Genia, etc.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
squad of 32 apparently.

Such a hard question. Don’t know how many forwards they will take. Starting 8, 5 reserves, extra hooker, extra prop, extra lock, extra backrow?

So:

Alexander, Sio, Slipper, Kepu and Longbottom
Moore, TPN and Charles (over Hanson?)
Locks are buggers to pick at the moment. Horwill, Simmons, Jones, Carter and I’m going to throw in Skelton as a project player.
Backrow will be Hooper, Fardy, McCalman, Higginbotham, probably Palu (although injuries are a concern) and backup openside is tough. He’d have to go Hodgson I’d suggest.

Leaves only 13 backs – Genia, White, Cooper, To'omua, Godwin, McCabe, Tevita, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), Cummins, Izzy, Lealiifano, Mogg and …dunno..maybe an extra scrummie in Phipps?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I think Beale will make the squad ahead of Godwin. Leali'ifano could miss out as well. His form hasn't been great since returning.

One out of McCalman, Higginbotham and Palu could miss the squad for a youngster like Cottrell.

Besides that I think you'll probably be pretty close.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
You'd expect there'll be a third halfback in the squad purely so they're at the match and can suit up if one of the two halfbacks gets injured in the warm up. Same with a third hooker.

Benaud

Tom Lawton (22)
squad of 32 apparently.

Such a hard question. Don’t know how many forwards they will take. Starting 8, 5 reserves, extra hooker, extra prop, extra lock, extra backrow?

So:

Alexander, Sio, Slipper, Kepu and Longbottom
Moore, TPN and Charles (over Hanson?)
Locks are buggers to pick at the moment. Horwill, Simmons, Jones, Carter and I’m going to throw in Skelton as a project player.
Backrow will be Hooper, Fardy, McCalman, Higginbotham, probably Palu (although injuries are a concern) and backup openside is tough. He’d have to go Hodgson I’d suggest.

Leaves only 13 backs – Genia, White, Cooper, To'omua, Godwin, McCabe, Tevita, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), Cummins, Izzy, Lealiifano, Mogg and …dunno..maybe an extra scrummie in Phipps?

This looks pretty much spot on to me. The only difference is I think they'll only pick 4 locks, leaving 14 backs, with Beale added to your list.

The missing lock will be interesting. Simmons and Jones are the only 2 I could confidently predict will be there.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Michael Hooper seems to be more and more of an obvious choice because he is the only candidate who has no questions over his starting position and also plays 80 minutes unless injured (which works against Moore).

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Questions until pocock is fit again.

That would be the worst logic of all time though. You're not going to make someone captain in 2014 because there is a chance that a player who was excellent in 2011 and earlier and has been injured for the majority of the 2.5 seasons that followed could come back.

Meanwhile, there are questions in the current year over whether the other candidates are secure in their positions.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I think the choice for captain is rather obvious..........

Scott+Fardy+Wales+v+Australia+International+BD0X6cQrnEhl.jpg

;)

oztimmay

Tony Shaw (54)
Staff member
That would be the worst logic of all time though. You're not going to make someone captain in 2014 because there is a chance that a player who was excellent in 2011 and earlier and has been injured for the majority of the 2.5 seasons that followed could come back.

Meanwhile, there are questions in the current year over whether the other candidates are secure in their positions.
I'm not just talking about captaincy, I'm talking about a place in the team. Hooper might be able to do it this year, but who's to say Poey gets his groove back and returns to the 2011 form.

It's like anything in this game I guess - nothing is certain and we won't know until it happens. I bet link has someone pencilled in for the role already.

Status
Not open for further replies.