• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallaby Watch 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Athilnaur

Arch Winning (36)
White should get the Wallaby jersey but we better have a pack that is physically up to it. The Brumbies pack very rarely gets owned and White gets good service but when the Rebels owned the Brumbies pack, White was dreadful. Well out of his comfort zone and he didn't respond well.

Sorry Ruggo, couldn't read the rest of your post; too mesmerised. Warms my heart reading those words.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
If we send in a couple of newbies against the Frogs in the second row they will be eaten alive.
More likely that Jones will be introduced from the bench as a 5/6 option. That will allow us to have an 8 as the back row reserve. Palu to start with Higgers on the bench would be my go.
Agree that Coleman and/or Skelton should be in the squad and given some test time if possible.
It is time to think about changing the guard in the second row but throwing the young blokes in cold against the French doesn't sound like the way to do it.
McCabe is too slow for the ing but should be in the squad as a centre reserve/option.
Looking forward to the announcement of this one.

scaraby

Ron Walden (29)
If we send in a couple of newbies against the Frogs in the second row they will be eaten alive.
More likely that Jones will be introduced from the bench as a 5/6 option. That will allow us to have an 8 as the back row reserve. Palu to start with Higgers on the bench would be my go.
Agree that Coleman and/or Skelton should be in the squad and given some test time if possible.
It is time to think about changing the guard in the second row but throwing the young blokes in cold against the French doesn't sound like the way to do it.
McCabe is too slow for the ing but should be in the squad as a centre reserve/option.
Looking forward to the announcement of this one.
they had a Lions tour last year and didnt look out of place and have played agst AB and SA opposition all year... I think the days of scarey French tactics are gone...too many cameras on the field :)

BDA

Jim Lenehan (48)
Will there be only 31 players announced?

My guess would be:-

Props
Slipper
Sio
Kepu
Alexander
Robinson
Longbottom

Hookers
Moore
TPN
Charles

Locks
Horwill
Simmons
Jones
Skelton

Backrow
Hooper
Fardy
Palu
Higgers
McCalman
Cottrel

Halfbacks
Genia
White

Flyhalf/Centre
Cooper
To'omua
Kuridani
McCabe
Beale
Lilo
Godwin

Outside Backs
Honey Badger
AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
Folau

The bolded names are maybes from my point of view. I expect Link will try to go with a squad that looks something like his world cup 31. Looking at that group I'd be pretty happy if our squad looked something like that at the WC. We are a bit short on outside backs at the moment, with Speight, Tomane and O'Connor unavailable. Fitting all of those guys into a WC squad will not be possible so some will miss out. obviously link would also take a third half back to the world cup

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
Will there be only 31 players announced?

My guess would be:-

Props
Slipper
Sio
Kepu
Alexander
Robinson
Longbottom

Hookers
Moore
TPN
Charles

Locks
Horwill
Simmons
Jones
Skelton

Backrow
Hooper
Fardy
Palu
Higgers
McCalman
Cottrel

Halfbacks
Genia
White

Flyhalf/Centre
Cooper
To'omua
Kuridani
McCabe
Beale
Lilo
Godwin

Outside Backs
Honey Badger
AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
Folau

The bolded names are maybes from my point of view. I expect Link will try to go with a squad that looks something like his world cup 31. Looking at that group I'd be pretty happy if our squad looked something like that at the WC. We are a bit short on outside backs at the moment, with Speight, Tomane and O'Connor unavailable. Fitting all of those guys into a WC squad will not be possible so some will miss out. obviously link would also take a third half back to the world cup
Not many arguments from me with that squad. For outside backs, Kuridrani and McCabe can also play wing if required, and McCabe is also pretty damn hot at 15. Just can't see both Reds locks making the Rwc, so might be a good opportunity to replace one now with Sam Carter or Caderyn Neville.
I am confident Speight will bolster the outside backs later in the year, so would not be in the least interested in JO'C if he only signs for one Super season.

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
Really like that squad only thing prob missing is a back up 7 we all know what happened the last time we went to a RWC with out one hopefully link wont make the same mistake.

You would prob have McCabe as an outside back i think he would be a great wing or Full back option.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Absolutely. We need to have a back-up 7 in every squad picked, especially the RWC squad.
Also we need a couple outright speedsters as wing options if possible. I know the patch is looking a little bare right now but maybe JOC (James O'Connor), Speight and Tomane will be available next year along with a couple of young up and comers.

BDA

Jim Lenehan (48)
I agree we need a backup 7 for the WC, but I wouldn't pick one for the test series in June.

The back-up 7 at the world cup is likely to be Pocock, and he isn't available until next year. Until then I expect Hooper to be named captain and predict he'll play probably every minute of the series.

In the circumstances, I see no reason to add a number 7 to the squad. I'd prefer to see us blood Cottrell given his outstanding form and see how he goes.

The only 7s that spring to mind are Gill and Hodgson. Gill hasn't been too bad but on form you'd have to give Hodgson the nod, and to be brutally honest, I see no reason to bring him into the fold when he clearly wont be a part of the world cup squad.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I think Beale will almost certainly be in the Wallaby squad, will be quite likely to be in the matchday 23 and unlikely to be in the starting 15.

AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) is a walk up starter in my opinion. Whether he plays 13 or 14 is still a bit up in the air. I think the injury to Tomane makes it more likely that he plays 14 and Kuridrani stays in the starting side rather than having AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) at 13 and having to find a second winger to partner Cummins.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
If Beale's on the bench (covering 10/12/15) that would allow a 6/2 split. Looks very tempting. Bit tough on McCabe, but not everyone can be squeezed in.

BDA

Jim Lenehan (48)
No way should Beale be in the starting side. Right now I'd be leaning toward Lilo on the bench as he's a better goal kicker.

Reactions: gel

Pete King

Phil Hardcastle (33)
1 Slipper
2 Moore
3 Alexandar
4 Jones
5 Carter
6 Fardy
7 Hooper
8 Higgenbottom
9 White
10 Cooper
11 Cummins
12 To'omua
13 Kudraini
14 AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
15 fOLAU

16 TPN
17 SIO
18 lONGBOTTOM
19 Skelton
20 mCcALMAN
21 Genia
22 McCabe
23 Beale
i BELEIVE THIS MATCH DAY 23 WOULD BE THE BEST ONE TO PICK WITH THE RWC IN MIND. I think that building towards this should be objective 1 of this years tests.

Higgers has been out of form but as others have mentioned is has easily the most potential. White/cooper will need time to develop....

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I think you could raise a pretty good argument currently that out of McCabe, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) and Kuridrani, McCabe and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) are the two most in form players of the three (and by some margin).

You could play AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) at 13, McCabe at 14 and put Kuridrani on the bench.

I think Link has shown a pretty consistent 5:3 split and I predict that will continue.

Wanting to put someone like Skelton on the bench could push things towards the 6:2 split though with Beale as the only non halfback.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Id be very disappointed to see Beale in the starting XV. Would much prefer to see McCabe or Foley over Beale. I don't rate Beale much at all - I really only rate his counter-attacking abilities in broken play but not much else. As a play-maker he is highly over-rated - he crabs across field and almost never straightens the attack, his defence at times is comical, and attitude (especially under pressure) is always questionable. Give me McCabe any day, or give Foley a crack if you like a playmaker type.

Status
Not open for further replies.