• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallaby Watch 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Highlander35

Steve Williams (59)
i havent seen many/any? rebs game but what is max lahiff like? is he even starting? he is eligible for wobs but any chance he is good enough/on the radar?

Lahiff's been playing funny buggers.

Looked pretty good playing for Hawkes bay in the NPC, played an OK first game, followed by a shocker against the Force, and has been bouncing in and out between injury and form. Ah-Nau seems to currently be seen as the 2nd choice Loosehead/3rd choice Tighthead, ahead of Lahiff in both.

Played well of the bench against the Sharks though. May be that he retains his spot when T. Smith returns.

Highlander35

Steve Williams (59)
PAE has played every game so far. 7 appearances from the bench, 2 starts when Weeks has been injured. He's effectively gotten 4 starts however, in the games prior to the ones where Weeks was concussed, he left the field early in the first half, so Paul still got 60-odd minutes under his belt.

Got the same problems some young props have, that yo-yoing question of weight on to increase scrum impact, or weight off to increase around the ground impact. Good boy though. More than happy with where he's at right now. Not gonna be a Wallaby till next cycle though

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Alexander and Sio are at 5 tightheads lost each - the most in the competition. So the majority are with those guys out there - it's not a reserve props issue.

It's taking a stat in isolation but you've also gotta recall none of those were included in last week's capitulation, where we lost every single scrum feed we had.

It appears that the idea of the Brumbies having a dominant scrum is just a memory now. It may have had a basis in reality once, but that is long gone. Alexander and Sio are at the forefront of that reality.

This week is huge for them. If they get dominated again, I can't see any rational basis left for their consideration at Wallabies level.

Where are you getting your stats from?

I don't think that's accurate.............

And you might want to actually watch some rugby instead of reading some stats page, because in the same match the Brumbies gave up 3 tight heads (in the last 15 minutes) they'd spent the previous 65 minutes dominating the Chiefs scrum...........

Anyways Benaud, we've already had this discussion....... and as I said then, the Brumbies obviously have a serious issue with tight 5 depth and fitness...........

I'm not sure what your obsession with the Brumbies' scrum is?

Tomikin

David Codey (61)
Where are you getting your stats from?

I don't think that's accurate.....

And you might want to actually watch some rugby instead of reading some stats page, because in the same match the Brumbies gave up 3 tight heads (in the last 15 minutes) they'd spent the previous 65 minutes dominating the Chiefs scrum.....

Anyways Benaud, we've already had this discussion... and as I said then, the Brumbies obviously have a serious issue with tight 5 depth and fitness.....

I'm not sure what your obsession with the Brumbies' scrum is?

Yeah, if you watched the rugby you'd see the Brumbies scrum toasted all the oz scrums so fair except you could say the Reds went well.. if you watch the 3 tight heads against the chiefs the scrum was fine the ball hit a boot and shot off..

The Crusaders pasted us.. But again over the course of the season we have had one of the better scrums.. Oh we also had two penalty tries from scrums .

Sent from my HTC_0P6B using Tapatalk

Benaud

Tom Lawton (22)
That's the Fox Sports stats.

Yeah, they definitely beat the Waratahs in the scrum. But that's part of the concern. I've mentioned a bit the inadequacy of Aussie props generally. Usually the counter is "but the Brumbies scrum is the best". Well everything we've seen shows it isn't the best, or even close. Statistically it is pushing the worst at Super level so far, although that would be overstating the reality. The fact is it is just a run of the mill Super XV scrum. The best scrums just don't have the worst tighthead stats over the season to date or lose 7 of their 9 feeds in the last fortnight. That seems like an obvious point, but nevertheless one that is missed by a few.

With that in mind, there is strong chat around all 3 Brumbies front rowers being picked for the Wallabies. One is already certain, and rightfully so. Picking the other 2 means we go in with a run of the mill Super rugby front row at Wallaby level, which is a frightening prospect.

So when guys like Alexander, who has been the worst offender recently, get mentioned as certain Wallabies, it's worth debate. As I said, it's a huge game for him against the Sharks this week. If he can stand up against a top scrum like that, then the recent stats might be passed off as an aberration and he's right in the mix. If he can't, he's becoming an awfully difficult player to justify selecting.

T

Train Without a Station

It's the best in the context of the competition for the wallabies spots so that's all that fucking matters in this thread. Clearly there isn't any consistently better options and to write them off based on 2 average games is lunacy.

Tomikin

David Codey (61)
That's the Fox Sports stats.

Yeah, they definitely beat the Waratahs in the scrum. But that's part of the concern. I've mentioned a bit the inadequacy of Aussie props generally. Usually the counter is "but the Brumbies scrum is the best". Well everything we've seen shows it isn't the best, or even close. Statistically it is pushing the worst at Super level so far, although that would be overstating the reality. The fact is it is just a run of the mill Super XV scrum. The best scrums just don't have the worst tighthead stats over the season to date or lose 7 of their 9 feeds in the last fortnight. That seems like an obvious point, but nevertheless one that is missed by a few.

With that in mind, there is strong chat around all 3 Brumbies front rowers being picked for the Wallabies. One is already certain, and rightfully so. Picking the other 2 means we go in with a run of the mill Super rugby front row at Wallaby level, which is a frightening prospect.

So when guys like Alexander, who has been the worst offender recently, get mentioned as certain Wallabies, it's worth debate. As I said, it's a huge game for him against the Sharks this week. If he can stand up against a top scrum like that, then the recent stats might be passed off as an aberration and he's right in the mix. If he can't, he's becoming an awfully difficult player to justify selecting.

So who are you picking in front of him..and have you watched him at all this season ? I'm curious as it sounds like you haven't watched him at all ?

Tomikin

David Codey (61)
It's the best in the context of the competition for the wallabies spots so that's all that fucking matters in this thread. Clearly there isn't any consistently better options and to write them off based on 2 average games is lunacy.
Specially if you watched the Chiefs match his talking about for 65 mins they were all over them..

Benaud

Tom Lawton (22)
Yeah I've watched all the Brumbies games to date. I've focused on the stats primarily here because they highlight the end results, which have been surprisingly bad for a team with such a highly regarded scrum. So I figure they're worth mentioning in a thread like this given the entire front row is considered likely to play for the Wallabies this year.

Who to pick ahead is the more difficult game. We'll see how they go against the Sharks first. I think Bob Dwyer mentioned Slipper and a couple of the Rebels. Slipper presumably starts somewhere. Tighthead is one option. I'll be keeping a closer eye on the Rebels props over the coming weeks. Robbo, Kepu and Cowan are all worth watching too. The beauty of Slipper's versatility is only one really needs to stand out to nail down a starting spot and Slipper can play the other side.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
I think that the debate here on Alexander in particular is a good indicator of where he is at. IMO like for much of his test career, he is inconsistant. The good is pretty good, the bad ... well just woeful.

As said elsewhere, there just isn't a THP in Oz with better form unless you look at Longbottom over the past few weeks, or take Slipper's form at LHP and drop in TH (though I've been unconvinced about that in any event).

Tomikin

David Codey (61)
Yeah I've watched all the Brumbies games to date. I've focused on the stats primarily here because they highlight the end results, which have been surprisingly bad for a team with such a highly regarded scrum. So I figure they're worth mentioning in a thread like this given the entire front row is considered likely to play for the Wallabies this year.

Who to pick ahead is the more difficult game. We'll see how they go against the Sharks first. I think Bob Dwyer mentioned Slipper and a couple of the Rebels. Slipper presumably starts somewhere. Tighthead is one option. I'll be keeping a closer eye on the Rebels props over the coming weeks. Robbo, Kepu and Cowan are all worth watching too. The beauty of Slipper's versatility is only one really needs to stand out to nail down a starting spot and Slipper can play the other side.

No worries :) I would love for better THP coming out in front of Benny A.. But if you watched any OZ Super Rugby teams his been the form THP for Oz front rowers, and not been too shabby around the park..

People have just got sick of him being pasted every 3 games at international level.. Refs watch for him etc..

Tomikin

David Codey (61)
I think that the debate here on Alexander in particular is a good indicator of where he is at. IMO like for much of his test career, he is inconsistant. The good is pretty good, the bad . well just woeful.

As said elsewhere, there just isn't a THP in Oz with better form unless you look at Longbottom over the past few weeks, or take Slipper's form at LHP and drop in TH (though I've been unconvinced about that in any event).

If Longbottoms got the form Im all for putting him on the bench and giving him 30 mins behind Kepu/Alexander and if he shows he is up to it then give him a start..

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
If Longbottoms got the form Im all for putting him on the bench and giving him 30 mins behind Kepu/Alexander and if he shows he is up to it then give him a start..

I've got to say as a very long term fan of Kepu, I just don't think he has the form to warrant selection. He has been walking a hell of a lot during games and his scrummaging has been as inconsistent as Alexander. Longbottom may well be an option , I just dont know. Ryan however has toured and would get he nod ahead of him I think.

Tomikin

David Codey (61)
I've got to say as a very long term fan of Kepu, I just don't think he has the form to warrant selection. He has been walking a hell of a lot during games and his scrummaging has been as inconsistent as Alexander. Longbottom may well be an option , I just dont know. Ryan however has toured and would get he nod ahead of him I think.
I watched Ryan go out the arse of too many scrums .....It's criminal that Link had to spend months getting Kepu in shape for tests then his regressed back.. I would hate to throw a new debut in at THP so yeah that's why off the bench for sure

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Not much mention of Benn Robinson. Guess no-one will be surprised about seeing him dropped from the squad?

I honestly haven't seen too many Tah's games but I'm surprised their aren't more Tah's fans pushing for him to be in the squad.
What, blindly push for him despite the fact he's been poor? Interesting concept.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
What, blindly push for him despite the fact he's been poor? Interesting concept.

Being a Tah's fan i thought you would have in-depth knowledge of that concept. Anyways thats enough Tah bashing from me.

Am I the only one who isn't concerned about our scrum?

I doubt we will dominate teams but I also doubt they will dominate us. I see a lot less scrum penalties at Test level with these new scrum laws. For example Alexander seems far less of a liability now that the initial hit is reduced. 2 years ago I wouldn't want him anywhere near a scrum, now im confident he can hold is own.

Status
Not open for further replies.