• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallaby Watch 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
It's funny there was outrage from some Reds fans a few years ago when the Waratahs made up a portion of the Wallabies despite being low on the Super ladder.

With the Reds could get 5 of the starting Wallaby 15, I wonder if anyone will cry 'too many Reds' when the team is announced ;)

Of course the Reds in the side would deserve their place, as the Tah players did a few years back, but still...

Right now, I'd say James Slipper is the only one who 90% of people would agree deserves to be starting. He's had a very good season, and our lack of quality at prop makes him a certainty for mine.

Apart from that, Cooper and Genia being selected won't cause too many complaints. Quade has been very good apart from the last few games, and Genia is a proven performer, although I think he is in serious decline.

Apart from that, you have Horwill and Simmons, who are benefactors of lack of depth and inexperience in the second row.

Liam Gill in the squad, but not in the 23, along with possibly James Hanson, and that would be about it.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I think against the ABs you need to minimise your mistakes and basically grind them down, then have the capability to open them up in the last 15-20. We've seen how far ahead they are on fitness and experience.

Higgers' has X-factor, but sometimes has Y-the-fuck-did-you-do-that! factor.

Not sure about that, that was the "Deans" approach which led to us being close for 60 minutes and then getting run over.

I actually think you have to put them under pressure and make tough decisions, they have a few "Y-the-fuck-did-you-do-that" units as well under pressure

Benaud

Tom Lawton (22)
All 5 of the Reds in contention are contentious at this stage.

I don't think you could have Simmons or Horwill on form. It's just a matter now of how much you value test experience vs domestic form, and also team balance. Fardy and Jones look the main alternatives.

I think Slipper is a good chance but he'll only get one or two games before the first test so there's still some chance he could end up a benchy, at least first up.

Genia vs White is still anyone's guess. I'd say if anything White probably has a slender lead at this point.

I can't imagine Link not picking Cooper, although there are plenty pushing for To'omua at 10. Who knows?

In the end, all 5 Reds starting looks unlikely. I'd guess 3 - Cooper, Slipper and Simmons, with Genia and maybe Horwill on the bench. It's a good return for a team playing so poorly but all 5 have been adequate without being great this year and have good standing with the Wallabies.

Conversely the Force who are playing so well only have 2 blokes in contention - McCalman and Cummins - but that's the nature of picking the Wallabies based on more than just half a season's form.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
No.

The waratahs made up the majority if the wallaby line up, even though they were quite low on the ladder.

The reds will not make up the majority of the squad now and didn't back then.

Edit. - and on form I don't think any of the reds deserve to be in the wallaby squad.

Yeah, there is usually some lag between chucking the incumbent and picking the unit in form

T

Train Without a Station

No Benaud, that's the nature of picking based on Australian eligibility (Rules out Stynard, Steenkamp, Matthewson, Ebherson, Rasolea and a few others doesn't it) which due to the limits of quality players, not all Force players are, and that in a seasonal environment of test rugby, rather than one off, looking to the future means limiting opportunities for older players.

Further to that, the simple matter is the Force are getting the results, but ultimately barring those in contention, the remainder don't really have the talent (or at least haven't had the opportunity to show it) to be successful test footballers. They are essentially playing like a very well drilled and coached (Fuck - Who would have said that about a team with Michael Foley as coach) team, but really aren't capable of unlocking defences.

Further to that, the positions where the Force seem to have quite talented players, we arguably have the best depth (2, 6, 7 and 12) and therefore may miss out.

Their best players have probably been Charles, Hodgson, Godwin and Matthewson. One isn't eligible, one is behind the reigning John Eales medallist whose form is peaking at the right time of the year, one is behind a few other options and one is simply not getting the opportunity to show his talent like he did last year.

hammertimethere

Trevor Allan (34)
Just thought I would have a look at how many penalties Simmons has given away with everyone taking about how much of a penalty magnet he is I was surprised to see he has only given away 10 this year which is the same amount as Horwill that has them as equal 21st in the comp.

Was also interesting to see to two players who sit at the top of that list...Higgers and Fardy with 18 and 17 a piece food for thought.

But think about the type and timing of those penalties. I mean there is giving away penalties by competing like a mongrel dog at the breakdown consistently and getting your timing wrong sometimes i.e Fardy, and then there is the pointless, brain-snap penalties given away when you are scrambling in defence or 3-4 phases into a promising attack that absolutely kill any momentum your team has created (Simmons recently gave away three exactly like this in 10 mins vs the blues which directly contributed to them getting the upper hand in the first 25 mins even though the Reds weren't giving up much ground at the gain line).

The type, timing and place on the field where those penalties are given away is at least as important to note than the absolute number

T

Train Without a Station

Haha now you mention it that sounds right. I'd call him the big SA fucker, but that doesn't narrow it down that much either.

something

Jim Clark (26)
But think about the type and timing of those penalties. I mean there is giving away penalties by competing like a mongrel dog at the breakdown consistently and getting your timing wrong sometimes i.e Fardy, and then there is the pointless, brain-snap penalties given away when you are scrambling in defence or 3-4 phases into a promising attack that absolutely kill any momentum your team has created (Simmons recently gave away three exactly like this in 10 mins vs the blues which directly contributed to them getting the upper hand in the first 25 mins even though the Reds weren't giving up much ground at the gain line).

The type, timing and place on the field where those penalties are given away is at least as important to note than the absolute number

aye, i couldnt agree more. simmons (similarly to saia Fainga'a) seem to give away penalties at crucial times or within kicking distance for the opposition. As opposed to someone pushing there luck with the rules and sometimes (17 times) not getting away with it ala fardy

BDA

Jim Lenehan (48)
I'd actually say that at least 3 of those 10 penalties by Simo were for playing the opposition line-out jumper in the air. It's a really dumb "simo like" penalty to give away, but it also reflects Simmons aggressive (and often effective) attempts to disrupt/steal opposition line-out ball (one of his strengths really).

T

Tip

I think McCalman's form shades Higginbotham and he is a bit unlucky to miss out. Higgers certainly hasn't recaptured his early 2013 form though.

To be fair, neither has Palu. Higgers has shaded Palu this year in an under-performing Rebels side.

4. Simmons
5. Fardy
6. Higgers
7. Hooper
8. McCalman

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
To be fair, neither has Palu. Higgers has shaded Palu this year in an under-performing Rebels side.

4. Simmons
5. Fardy
6. Higgers
7. Hooper
8. McCalman

I thought Palu was really strong early in the season and is just coming back after missing a couple of games following his father's death.

In my opinion, Palu should be picked because he has proven to be a strong number 8 for the Wallabies over a number of years whereas neither McCalman and Higginbotham have done that.

Ignoto

Greg Davis (50)
I haven't been tracking the Force as closely as most have been. So, with McCalman's name once again being thrown around in the mix for the Wallabies, what's so different about him this time round compared to the previous years? In the past he's always been sound at a Super level, but his physicality would never transfer into the golden stage.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I haven't been tracking the Force as closely as most have been. So, with McCalman's name once again being thrown around in the mix for the Wallabies, what's so different about him this time round compared to the previous years? In the past he's always been sound at a Super level, but his physicality would never transfer into the golden stage.

He's bulked up on last year and has been an absolute standout.

I would say his form and physicality has been significantly better than Higginbotham and Mowen this year.

I don't think McCalman has been playing this well in Super Rugby when he's previously been selected for the Wallabies and I don't think Higginbotham is playing as well as the first half of last year (which was career best form for him).

Whoever doesn't make the side will be unlucky.

BDA

Jim Lenehan (48)
Had a look at Barbarian's team this morning. I think its pretty decent but I'm a bit concerned about the fact that people are still picking Alexander as our starting tighthead. I certainly think that there is a place for Alexander in our world cup squad and I don't mind him as a back up option. He is an experienced prop that has shown he can generally hold his own against most LH props.

The problem is that he has shown time and time again that it about 1/3 of his games at test level he implodes. And its not just one or two bad scrums, its total annihilation.

Yes he has been in generally good form in the super comp, but that doesn't mean anything has changed. Case and point - last week's game where he was obliterated by crockett. A good LHs know that once you touch him up a bit, he just rolls over for the remainder of the game.

For me Kepu has shown to be much more solid at TH over the last 18 months. He seems to have less games where he gets owned in the scrum. I think the trick with Kepu is getting him motivated, and I have faith that Link can do that.

However, whilst he might be a solid scrummager, his form does not and probably should not warrant a starting spot. I definitely agree with Link's approach in leaving out players that are out of form.

So the conundrum is, do you choose Kepu, who is more solid at TH but out of form, or Alexander who is in some form but will definitely cause our scrum to implode in at least one of the tests next month.

What are the alternatives.

If I was Link I'd seriously consider playing Slipper at TH. Slipper is probably the best prop we have. Yes I agree he is a better LH than TH and if Kepu was in any sort of form I'd play Slipper at LH but we have decent depth at LH. Robinson and Sio are both worthy of inclusion in the squad and both should be able to hold up the scrum. Slipper has rotated pretty regularly this season and has been pretty solid at TH, despite having to move back and forth during games.

A front row of Sio/Moore/Slipper come world cup time would be ominous. The question is, can Slipper hold his own against the best teams at TH. The series against France might be the time to find out, and it would be consistent with Link picking in form players.

thoughts?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I think the Crusaders game has been the only time all season that Alexander has been dusted up in the scrum. Aside from that he's been very good.

Whilst I'm not against moving Slipper to the TH side, I don't think he's immune to copping it on the TH side as well. The new scrum laws have made playing THP very difficult.

I think Alexander's form has been excellent this year and his scrummaging has improved whereas Kepu's form is definitely down. He was excellent on the EOYT though and could certainly retain a starting spot on that basis.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
I thought Palu was really strong early in the season and is just coming back after missing a couple of games following his father's death.

In my opinion, Palu should be picked because he has proven to be a strong number 8 for the Wallabies over a number of years whereas neither McCalman and Higginbotham have done that.
As a long term Palu critic, I have to say I agree that he was playing very strongly before his most recent injury. If he comes back to that form, he should either start or be on the bench. Think it is all to do with him playing closer to the gain line and hitting the ball at pace. He is hard to stop when he plays like that, but for a few years he was standing much too drop and invariably being tackled behind the gain line, often by up to ten metres. Start with Palu and have Skelton coming on for the last 20 or so at lock would give the Wallabies a lot of go forward.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
Ha! About as physical as Rob! Benny has been better this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.