• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallaby Watch 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
As a long term Palu critic, I have to say I agree that he was playing very strongly before his most recent injury. If he comes back to that form, he should either start or be on the bench. Think it is all to do with him playing closer to the gain line and hitting the ball at pace. He is hard to stop when he plays like that, but for a few years he was standing much too drop and invariably being tackled behind the gain line, often by up to ten metres. Start with Palu and have Skelton coming on for the last 20 or so at lock would give the Wallabies a lot of go forward.

I think the injury was actually very minor. He missed one week because of it and then they used it as an excuse for a couple of weeks before they made it public that he was on personal leave because his father died.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Not much mention of Benn Robinson. Guess no-one will be surprised about seeing him dropped from the squad?

I honestly haven't seen too many Tah's games but I'm surprised their aren't more Tah's fans pushing for him to be in the squad.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Not much mention of Benn Robinson. Guess no-one will be surprised about seeing him dropped from the squad?

I honestly haven't seen too many Tah's games but I'm surprised their aren't more Tah's fans pushing for him to be in the squad.

He's been poor.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I think he's improved in the last month, but over the course of the season, Slipper has easily been the best and Sio has been more consistent and is part of a routinely stronger scrum.

I think Benn Robinson is playing quite well right now but I expect that Sio has earned another crack.

You'd think that Robinson is definitely in the squad though.

Reactions: BDA

Benaud

Tom Lawton (22)
It looks like an important week for the Brumbies scrum after recent struggles. I suspect Link will be expecting them to hold their own against the Sharks if Sio and Alexander are going to be seriously considered for Wallaby berths.

I notice on Fox dream team, Moore has 7 tightheads lost, more than double any other hooker in the comp! Given he is a certain selection, I assume that means the props outside him are on their very last strike.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Robinson who was once known as the best scrummager in Aus seems to have dropped that tag which is disappointing. I understand why last season he wasn't up to standard as he was returning from a long injury. However after originally being dropped from the wallaby squad and now getting decent game time I would have thought he would be improving a lot by now.

BDA

Jim Lenehan (48)
I think it's worth keeping in mind that a lot of the older players seem to take a while to get going in the Super season. Robbo is one. I thought he improved over the last few weeks and hopefully he continues that upward trend. The problem with Robbo is that he is really only chosen for his scrummaging and unless he stands out as clearly better in the scrum than the likes of Slipper and Sio, he wont be chosen.

Tomikin

David Codey (61)
I think the Crusaders game has been the only time all season that Alexander has been dusted up in the scrum. Aside from that he's been very good.

Whilst I'm not against moving Slipper to the TH side, I don't think he's immune to copping it on the TH side as well. The new scrum laws have made playing THP very difficult.

I think Alexander's form has been excellent this year and his scrummaging has improved whereas Kepu's form is definitely down. He was excellent on the EOYT though and could certainly retain a starting spot on that basis.

I don't see how you could pick Kepu when his struggling to be the first choice tighthead at the tahs squad yeah.. But on form Benny A gets first crack.. Or go left field and select a rookie or slips

Sent from my HTC_0P6B using Tapatalk

Highlander35

Steve Williams (59)
Weeks.

:p

In all seriousness, with the exception of Alexander, there's not been a standout at Tighthead. Putting in a Longbottom or a Weeks is just as worthwhile option instead of going for same old same old.

And if they fail? Whatever. Kepu and Ryan are still there, and Slipper can switch sides.

What's the worst that could happen? Losing 0-3 to the Frogs?

Sent from my LG-P713 using Tapatalk

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I don't see how you could pick Kepu when his struggling to be the first choice tighthead at the tahs squad yeah.. But on form Benny A gets first crack.. Or go left field and select a rookie or slips

I agree that Kepu's form has been up and down and at the moment he's not making much of an impact around the field, but he is known as a good scrummager and he played arguably his best test rugby on the EOYT. I still think he's likely to be in the matchday 23.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Weeks.

:p

In all seriousness, with the exception of Alexander, there's not been a standout at Tighthead. Putting in a Longbottom or a Weeks is just as worthwhile option instead of going for same old same old.

And if they fail? Whatever. Kepu and Ryan are still there, and Slipper can switch sides.

What's the worst that could happen? Losing 0-3 to the Frogs?

This sounds like an argument to pick Kepu as Alexander's backup!

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
I notice on Fox dream team, Moore has 7 tightheads lost, more than double any other hooker in the comp! Given he is a certain selection, I assume that means the props outside him are on their very last strike.

Once one of the Smith brothers comes on, the Brumbies scrum has had major, major issues. As Sio and Alexander are subbed before Moore, generally Moore is still on when the Brumbies scrum has gone to complete poo. Note that when Sio was out earlier, the Brumbies scrum struggled with Ruan Smith at LHP, and dominated with Murphy there.

The Smith brothers are still young in prop years, and have a long time to develop. But right now, their scrummaging, to me, is below even Daley's level.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Is Toby Smith Australian eligible or does he need to meet the three year residency test first?

Regardless, he's been out injured for quite a while and I highly doubt he'll get a look in this season even if he is eligible.

Tomikin

David Codey (61)
Once one of the Smith brothers comes on, the Brumbies scrum has had major, major issues. As Sio and Alexander are subbed before Moore, generally Moore is still on when the Brumbies scrum has gone to complete poo. Note that when Sio was out earlier, the Brumbies scrum struggled with Ruan Smith at LHP, and dominated with Murphy there.

The Smith brothers are still young in prop years, and have a long time to develop. But right now, their scrummaging, to me, is below even Daley's level.

I think you will find it was JP and we went alright with him there I thought.. I think the scrum has struggled more when Benny A has come off..

Highlander35

Steve Williams (59)
This is the third game Smith will have misses, 2nd consecutively.

Either born in Australia, or has an Aussie parent.

I like him, but Slipper and Sio are easily ahead of him. I'd have him ahead of Pek Cowan, about level with Robbo.

Not played any Tighthead for the Rebels, and as far as I'm aware, didn't play it for the chief's or Waikato either.

Benaud

Tom Lawton (22)
Alexander and Sio are at 5 tightheads lost each - the most in the competition. So the majority are with those guys out there - it's not a reserve props issue.

It's taking a stat in isolation but you've also gotta recall none of those were included in last week's capitulation, where we lost every single scrum feed we had.

It appears that the idea of the Brumbies having a dominant scrum is just a memory now. It may have had a basis in reality once, but that is long gone. Alexander and Sio are at the forefront of that reality.

This week is huge for them. If they get dominated again, I can't see any rational basis left for their consideration at Wallabies level.

T

Train Without a Station

For Fucks sake can we starting referring to the Smiths with their front names. I can't tell who's talking about Toby, Ruan or JP!

something

Jim Clark (26)
i havent seen many/any? rebs game but what is max lahiff like? is he even starting? he is eligible for wobs but any chance he is good enough/on the radar?

Status
Not open for further replies.