• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallaby Watch 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Sharks hooked it (although I thought illegally - the flanker stuck his foot into the tunnel and did it - is that OK??)

I was wondering about that too........

He managed to get his foot around and hook it back in, but I suppose since he's using his feet it's ok?

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I was wondering about that too....

He managed to get his foot around and hook it back in, but I suppose since he's using his feet it's ok?
I guessed it was OK, as the ref did not seemed fussed, but I was curious if flankers are really allowed to stick their foot around the prop into the tunnel to hook. Under the legs, sure.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
A quick squiz at the LB, Law 20.9(f) states: Locks and flankers: Staying out of the tunnel. A player who is not a front row player must not play the ball in the tunnel.

Looks like the Sharks flanker got away with that one. I suspect Jackson's marker (there's a ref's assessor at every Super match) will bring that Law to Glen's attention; it'll now be mulled over in every Australian referees' association meeting!

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
I raised it in the game thread too. The flanker clearly had to drop his bind to slide up and hook it, so he should have been done for that too.

Slim asked which other props are in contention, Longbottom was excellent last night for the Force.

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
There are some guys who seem to play a lot better for the Wallabies than they ever do for their Super Rugby sides. In my opinion, Adam Ashley-Cooper is a good example of this. Can't think of any other good current examples at the moment.

Anyway, I reckon Longbottom would be one of those guys who would step up big time at Wallaby level.

Benaud

Tom Lawton (22)
AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)'s stocks definitely went up with the Tomane injury. Kuridrani, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), Cummins and Tomane were becoming an awfully difficult quartet to fit into 3 places. If there is ever an upside to an injury, it solves that dilemma.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Lock stocks lood good. I still think Simmons and Horwill will start. Link will take the combination and it is one he knows very well. Douglas and Pyle no longer count or shouldn't count. That leaves Carter, Jones and Coleman for the reserve lock spot in my view. None of those options would look out of place. I would add Skelton and I think he has a big future but I would like to see him prove able to play a full eighty of super rugby before being exposed to test rugby.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Lock stocks lood good. I still think Simmons and Horwill will start. Link will take the combination and it is one he knows very well. Douglas and Pyle no longer count or shouldn't count. That leaves Carter, Jones and Coleman for the reserve lock spot in my view. None of those options would look out of place. I would add Skelton and I think he has a big future but I would like to see him prove able to play a full eighty of super rugby before being exposed to test rugby.

I think Simmons will most likely start, but I'm unsure about Horwill............

Simmons offers something with his line out calling and reasonable work rate..........

Regardless, there are quite a few young locks making a name for themselves this year..........

I agree about Skelton though.......... I think he has the maximum impact for a minimal amount of time, whereas the other contenders offer more over a match.........

Anyways, it's almost a shame that the RWC isn't another year or two off, but a lot of these guys should be a at their peak by Japan, if they don't head north before then..........

farva

Vay Wilson (31)
Horwill shouldn't be anywhere near the Wallabies this year.
He didn't perform last year and is not performing now.
I'd have Simmons, Carter, Skelton, Jones as the locks. If we want a fifth, Coleman.
In the backrow, look at Hooper, Gill (if fit?), McMahon, Fardy, McCalman, Cottrell.
Front row of Slipper, Longbottom, Alexander, Sio, Robinson, PAE.
Hookers of Moore, TPN and Charles.

lewisr

Bill McLean (32)
To'omua to 10. Shocking night from Quade against the saders. Can't see link turning it around in the week or two he has with him. Bring him on from the bench and play some form into hom

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

farva

Vay Wilson (31)
Should go on, there are a few incumbents out of form. Horwill, Kepu, Higgenbum, as examples.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Horwill shouldn't be anywhere near the Wallabies this year.
He didn't perform last year and is not performing now.

I'm puzzled by people saying he's back in form. He's so ineffective at the breakdown, he seems to have lost all strength and aggressiveness. Often he just flops onto the breakdown or comes in from the side or often the oppositions side as he's overrun the ruck. He's Kepu-like atm.

Tomikin

David Codey (61)
I don't know I fully expect it to be Horwill and Simmions in the second row, but wouldnt it be nice to see Jones and Carter get the gigs.

Front Rows the same, I think Benny A's playing well but it might be nice to see a front row of Slips Moore Longbottom

Back row of Fardy, Hoops and Benny McCalmen..

Backline of White, To'omua, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), Goodwin, Kirindrani, Badge, Izzy..

Some giant wake calls needed.. But I full expect to see.

Slips Moore Alexander
Horwill Simmons
Fardy Palu Hoops
Genia, Quade, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), To'omua, kirendrani, Badge, Izzy

Pete King

Phil Hardcastle (33)
There are some guys who seem to play a lot better for the Wallabies than they ever do for their Super Rugby sides. In my opinion, Adam Ashley-Cooper is a good example of this. Can't think of any other good current examples at the moment.

Anyway, I reckon Longbottom would be one of those guys who would step up big time at Wallaby level.
Have you watched any tahs games this year??? he has easily been the consistently best back!

farva

Vay Wilson (31)
Slipper. Moore. Longbottom
Carter. Jones
Fardy. McCalman. Hooper
White. To'omua
Godwin. Kuridrani
Cummins. Folau. Beale

TPN. Sio. Alexander. Simmons. Skelton
Genia. Lilo. McCabe

You can thank me later.

Status