• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallaby Watch 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pete King

Phil Hardcastle (33)
He is not a Wallaby yet, but he was at best an average super player at the start of the year and his rate of improvement has been consistent and significant.

The players you have mentioned are hardly demanding selection.

BDA

Jim Lenehan (48)
Skelton is positioning himself well to take over the role that Timani played in the squad for the Wob last season. Whilst there was always debate about Timani's worth to the team, Link clearly saw a need for a player with Timani's attributes, namely size, weight, physicality and ability to bend the line. He had obvious short comings, similar to Skelton. You could only get about 40 good minute out of him and he weakens your lineout.

To be honest I'd already prefer Skelton to Timani. He is much more lively and dynamic with ball in hand. He also seems to be pretty effective at disrupting mauls.

He probably needs another Super season next year in order to refine his game a bit, and get some more experience, but I wouldn't be surprised if we see Link playing him off the bench at some stage this year (ala timani last year).

I think Jones should be first off the block, but Skelton surely must be on Link's radar.

Tomikin

David Codey (61)
Who cares about 'complete' players. I want rugby players and Skelton has Wykes beaten in every aspect but the lineout. He is twice the player Timani was and he is not close to reaching his full development.

Horwill, Simmons, Jones and Skelton are my lock picks for the French series.
Sam Carter has played all over every lock this year... You see where still first.. If Skelton gets the gig in front of him there's something seriously seriously wrong.. The guy isn't first picked lock for his team FFS

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
As a complete lock Wykes is the better player as a xfactor player Skelton has it over him all day.

Who cares about 'complete' players. I want rugby players and Skelton has Wykes beaten in every aspect but the lineout. He is twice the player Timani was and he is not close to reaching his full development.

Reactions: BDA

BDA

Jim Lenehan (48)
Saying that Wykes in a more complete player than skelton is a bit tough. Wykes is in, what his 5th, 6th year of Super rugby. He has like 40 or 50 more caps than skelton . Skelton had only 6 caps in 2013. IN 2014, He's already stood out more than Wykes.

One thing that also needs to be considered is that the NZRU had their eye on Skelton but he has for the time being decided to remain in Australia. As the lock with clearly the most potential we should be looking to lock him in as an aussie rep.

Im not advocating playing a guy for the sake of claiming him but i wouldn't like to see us miss the boat. Hell Pyle probably should have got a cap last year and seemingly wasnt willing to wait around any longer.

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)

All of Wykes stats are better than Skeltons bar the run metres where we all know Skelton excels but as a lock to only have 3 lineout wins is not good enough. compare that to Wykes 21 it shows what we all know Skelton is good with the ball in hand but goes missing both on defence and at lineout time (which the last time I checked is one if the primary roles of a lock).

But I'm not sure why it matters Wykes Is way done the list but is a better player that people give him credit for.

Tomikin

David Codey (61)
Saying that Wykes in a more complete player than skelton is a bit tough. Wykes is in, what his 5th, 6th year of Super rugby. He has like 40 or 50 more caps than skelton . Skelton had only 6 caps in 2013. IN 2014, He's already stood out more than Wykes.

One thing that also needs to be considered is that the NZRU had their eye on Skelton but he has for the time being decided to remain in Australia. As the lock with clearly the most potential we should be looking to lock him in as an aussie rep.

Im not advocating playing a guy for the sake of claiming him but i wouldn't like to see us miss the boat. Hell Pyle probably should have got a cap last year and seemingly wasnt willing to wait around any longer.
Yours stuffed when you wanna select someone so NZ don't have him and like in oz his down the list.. Give him more years.. Maybe a super sub ..maybe

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

BDA

Jim Lenehan (48)
Yours fucked when you wanna select someone so NZ don't have him your fucked.. And like in oz his down the list.. Give him more years.. Maybe a super sub ..maybe

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I wrote that I'm not advocating picking him so NZ dont, but it is a factor to consider. I personally think he is ready to join the squad and as you say, perhaps get a bench spot at some stage this year, but no more.

Pfitzy

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Part of me believes this whole debate about locks is a bit fucking pointless, because Link is just going to pick Simmons and Horwill regardless of performance. Simmons is apparently the only forward in Australia qualified to run a lineout, and Horwill is likely to be captain. Both have history with Link.

I think the locks picked at this stage for the Froggies will be Simmons, Horwill, Douglas, and Jones, for various reaons, but any of those could surprise me.

I don't believe 100% that Skelton is ready yet for a team like the All Blacks, where his aerobic limits are going to be stretched. Perhaps in the event of an injury, give him a run off the bench at the Frogs and see how he holds up.

And if Link is serious about picking on form, then depending on the game plan he decides to run, he's going to need to pick these guys based on real form, because 2015 is coming and while shit can change, you need to ground about 6 or 7 second-row capable blokes into the system you want to run.

I tell you what though, how fucking monsterrific would a second row of Coleman and Skelton be o_O

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
I guarantee the Force will not finish the second best side in the Aus conference.

I hope you brought some salt. It is not at all unrealistic that you have to eat those words. Given the Force's run to the finish line, you would think the Tahs and Brumbies would both have to win 4 of your final 6 to finish ahead of the Force. If we win 4 out of our 7, which is a possibility since we play the four lowest teams on the ladder, you will every win you can get. Since you guys play each other in one of the games, it could run close.

Pfitzy

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Two of those games in in South Africa though, and while they may be low on the table, those teams will play balls-out in front of their home crowds.

But yeah the Force are in with a shot and I'd love three Aussie teams in the finals.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I hope you brought some salt. It is not at all unrealistic that you have to eat those words. Given the Force's run to the finish line, you would think the Tahs and Brumbies would both have to win 4 of your final 6 to finish ahead of the Force. If we win 4 out of our 7, which is a possibility since we play the four lowest teams on the ladder, you will every win you can get. Since you guys play each other in one of the games, it could run close.

I don't expect the Force to get a win in SA.

T

tranquility

Force have traditionally always done well in South Africa. They now have more South Africans than ever, so I can't see them playing worse over there. Time will tell.

Status
Not open for further replies.