• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallaby Watch 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tomikin

David Codey (61)
I think it is all highly academic. 3rd string hooker for probably 1 game. If it's any more than getting a guy in for some experience in Wallaby-land to see what he's got, I'd be amazed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Im guessing also he could be there like today where they others have to travel from brisbane\melboure\perth to sydney then get out to the bush.. meaning he could be straight into it. now even.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Im guessing also he could be there like today where they others have to travel from brisbane\melboure\perth to sydney then get out to the bush.. meaning he could be straight into it. now even.
The Tahs are joining the camp on Wednesday.

Pfitzy

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Which means Bathurst or Orange I believe.

Like Ryan joining camp in Sydney for the French series - cheaper this way.

caymantim

Herbert Moran (7)
I was going to say that I thought Latu filled TPN's shoes more than adequately on Sat nite but I figured I would get shot down pretty harshly to suggest he be brought in to the squad!

He's still only 3rd in line though and if TPN is only out for one game then one would assume it's more for the experience, he certainly does have future Wallaby appeal..

Going ok? One of his throws was almost 45 degrees towards the Tahs and they STILL lost that lineout... hopefully that can be corrected with a coach that spends more than 5 minutes on set piece. ;)

emuarse

Chilla Wilson (44)
If you're going like for like, Saia would be the best option.
His defence is the best of the remaining hookers, and it would suit the style of rugby Link will have us playing. Chopping out someone's ankles and dropping them makes it much easier to either pilfer, or drive straight on through the ruck and take the space behind it to prevent the cleanout, and then you're good to go in counter attack.

Just like what Taf brings. Hanson/Charles/Latu etc don't offer that low tackle. Interesting that Link has gone with Latu.

Saia is in the Premiers rugby preliminary final for GPS against Sunnybank this weekend, unless of course he's carrying an injury. But he was certainly much involved last weekend in GPS's win in the semi-final over Brothers, so he has match fitness.
I'd guess that if both Nathan Charles & James Hanson were injured in training, that Saia F'aingai would be on the express train into the starting XV lineup.

emuarse

Chilla Wilson (44)

But Waratahs are not required to join until Wednesday.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Saia is in the Premiers rugby preliminary final for GPS against Sunnybank this weekend, unless of course he's carrying an injury. But he was certainly much involved last weekend in GPS's win in the semi-final over Brothers, so he has match fitness.
I'd guess that if both Nathan Charles & James Hanson were injured in training, that Saia F'aingai would be on the express train into the starting XV lineup.
saia was pretty average this season, lots of cheap penalties and little quality

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Yeah, but if the choice is Latu, Leafa, Tessman, Mann-Rae, Saia, Anae, Roach etc. You're gonna pick Saia.

If it was a starting role possibly, but to hold the tackle bags for two weeks?

Look I don't see Latu as anything other than a good young hooker that needs plenty of work

Now if Hanson or Charles go down during the next two weeks Saia could end up on the bench for the first Bled, but purely on previous accomplishments and experience

Highlander35

Steve Williams (59)
I did mean it like that FP. Think there may have been some crossed wires from me. For the sake of convenience, Latu should be there, at least for the first couple of weeks.

Pfitzy

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Saia isn't even the best hooker at the Reds. Dominating Brisbane Premier rugby isn't what you'd call a glowing recommendation for national selection. Or even national tackle bag holding duties.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Laurie Weeks has been called into the squad for Sio.

Apparently they were planning to use Sio at THP ?!?!? so they've called in a THP to replace him.

Sio is crocked and is heading home.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Laurie Weeks has been called into the squad for Sio.

Apparently they were planning to use Sio at THP ?!?!? so they've called in a THP to replace him.

Sio is crocked and is heading home.

Kepu and Alexander can play LHP I guess in a pinch, it does show that Link is no fan of fatcat at the moment. (clearly not enough S15 winners bias around)

Cowen & Slipper will be the LHPs

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
Someone who knows the dark arts better than I should probably comment on the logic of moving Sio to THP.

Good news for Weeks. Hopefully he gets a run for 10 minutes when we're 20 points up.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Kepu and Alexander can play LHP I guess in a pinch, it does show that Link is no fan of fatcat at the moment. (clearly not enough S15 winners bias around)

Cowen & Slipper will be the LHPs

It's a strange selection though given I don't think Sio has played THP at Super Rugby level ever and if he has, it was surely brief.

For someone who was clearly the second choice LHP, it seems strange to revert him to THP as that would presumably put him behind Kepu and Alexander and out of the matchday 23.

Obviously that's moot now given he's out injured.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I don't think Sio was seriously a Wob THP, I think we are reading too much into Weekes's selection as a direct replacement

A mutterer

Chilla Wilson (44)
tbh i dont think fatcat has actually done enough to force his way into the side. he has put in some solid performances, and did well on saturday, but even in the afterglow of the win on saturday i'd be hard pressed to agree he should be there.

Status
Not open for further replies.