• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallaby Watch 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
That's a joke imo.

He's not a very good Super Rugby player and now he's in the Test squad? He's throwing wasn't good and he got exploited at scrum time. Puzzling and ammunition for anti-Tahs.

Maybe he's just there as a training body I hope and not a 'squad member'.

Reactions: Tip

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
TPN is confirmed as only having a low grade medial strain. Only definitely out for Bledisloe 1.

Sio to have scans on his ankle.

Reactions: BDA

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
That's a joke imo.

He's not a very good Super Rugby player and now he's in the Test squad? He's throwing wasn't good and he got exploited at scrum time. Puzzling and ammunition for anti-Tahs.

If they're thinking TPN is back for Bled 2, maybe Link thought it was a good opportunity to bring in a young guy who has also been training and playing at full intensity. How hard do you think Fainga'a and Tessman would have been going lately?

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
I was going to say that I thought Latu filled TPN's shoes more than adequately on Sat nite but I figured I would get shot down pretty harshly to suggest he be brought in to the squad!

He's still only 3rd in line though and if TPN is only out for one game then one would assume it's more for the experience, he certainly does have future Wallaby appeal..

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
If you're going like for like, Saia would be the best option.
His defence is the best of the remaining hookers, and it would suit the style of rugby Link will have us playing. Chopping out someone's ankles and dropping them makes it much easier to either pilfer, or drive straight on through the ruck and take the space behind it to prevent the cleanout, and then you're good to go in counter attack.

Just like what Taf brings. Hanson/Charles/Latu etc don't offer that low tackle. Interesting that Link has gone with Latu.

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
The one thing that was really re-enforced on Saturday night was if you kick to a good Kiwi side make sure you have a shit hot chase to a contestable kick.

When Foley found grass we looked OK, when they were given a simple catch with little effective pressure, it was sphincter clenching.

I don't know what the wobs game plan will be, but shit, we don't want to get into a kicking contest that allows them the space to attack.

That's been the case since we lost the Bledisloe, poor kicking gifting the kiwi's plenty of counter attacking opportunity, and the other thing it gave them was field position. 2005-....um......last year? THis year maybe? of kicking that went up and down with no real purpose, landed in *insert deadly kiwi outside back*'s breadbasket and a shit chase.
Not being able to get out of our own half when we did have the ball was the other problem a lack of a decent tactical kicking handed us.

It is what it is

John Solomon (38)
These were the games where we became panicked and exhausted when in possession for too long. The good news is that our forwards have improved their ball carries so we can get out of trouble without resorting to aimless kicking. Palu's power and Hooper's footwork will get us over the advantage line that our old pick n drive tactics, and single isolated ball runners couldn't.

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)
I was going to say that I thought Latu filled TPN's shoes more than adequately on Sat nite but I figured I would get shot down pretty harshly to suggest he be brought in to the squad!

He's still only 3rd in line though and if TPN is only out for one game then one would assume it's more for the experience, he certainly does have future Wallaby appeal..

i am on the Latu bandwagon. the bloke has enormous upside. i am delighted that he's on the track up.

perhaps The Coach remembers how he and his two mates ascended to be the Wallaby front row in the coaching time of The Great Man?

JT0406

Allen Oxlade (6)
i am on the Latu bandwagon. the bloke has enormous upside. i am delighted that he's on the track up.

perhaps The Coach remembers how he and his two mates ascended to be the Wallaby front row in the coaching time of The Great Man?

Wow... I take it that McKenzie is selecting on form (played up to Super rugby final). It's not a bad decision (3rd string hooker) given he was the back up to TPN. He does have the potential and given he came on 42nd min on the 'big stage' and got through without to much disaster, I say credit given where credit due...

T

Train Without a Station

Whilst I don't really mind the selection of Latu over Fainga'a, that's a misleading and inaccurate statement.

In their time there was 2 provincial teams and less media coverage. Now there is 5 teams, 2 of which used their 4th choice hooker. I believe the brumbies used 5 in total: Moore, Siliva, converted Murphy, Holmes and Mann-Rea.

It's an unfair comparison as players have an under 20 World Cup every year to show their worth prior to coming to professional level.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I think it is all highly academic. 3rd string hooker for probably 1 game. If it's any more than getting a guy in for some experience in Wallaby-land to see what he's got, I'd be amazed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)
Whilst I don't really mind the selection of Latu over Fainga'a, that's a misleading and inaccurate statement.

In their time there was 2 provincial teams and less media coverage. Now there is 5 teams, 2 of which used their 4th choice hooker. I believe the brumbies used 5 in total: Moore, Siliva, converted Murphy, Holmes and Mann-Rea.

It's an unfair comparison as players have an under 20 World Cup every year to show their worth prior to coming to professional level.

sorry, but i can't see what is misleading. i can't see how a question in my second para can be inaccurate or misleading. re your last point, i made no comparison of anything to anything.

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)
I think it is all highly academic. 3rd string hooker for probably 1 game. If it's any more than getting a guy in for some experience in Wallaby-land to see what he's got, I'd be amazed.

me, too. he may get a minute in the RC if circumstances suit.

i am very pleased that a hooker beyond the tried list is being given a small entry and access to high class competition and coaching. i don't think many people are excited by Hanson, Charles and Little Finger, admirable triers that they may be. thus, looking further afield, as The Coach did last year, seems to me a good idea.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
The one thing that was really re-enforced on Saturday night was if you kick to a good Kiwi side make sure you have a shit hot chase to a contestable kick.

When Foley found grass we looked OK, when they were given a simple catch with little effective pressure, it was sphincter clenching.

I don't know what the wobs game plan will be, but shit, we don't want to get into a kicking contest that allows them the space to attack.

The first try wasn't so much a function of the kick but a poorly realigned and slow defensive line. As soon the ball was kicked I thought shit this is on since the line was so staggered. There was a definite lack of urgency to realign and maybe just a bit of complacency as they had been smashing the Saders up to that point.

I agree with the premise of your post but the telling factor which stood out from their previous 8 games was that staggered defensive line.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member

He should get some great kit out of it!

Status
Not open for further replies.