• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallaby Watch 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
We have the exact same discussion at this time every year. People will go bananas for player X, who has been showing good form for his provincial side but has no test experience. Test veteran Y, on the other hand, may not be setting the house on fire but is in decent shape and is a proven performer at the top level.

Each player has merit, and we argue here until we are blue in the face. I reckon Player Y ends up being selected 80% of the time.

For the last two years player X has been Pyle. At least in this example the decision to go with player Y has been the correct one and this year player X is well down the pecking order. IMHO prior performance at test level counts for a lot.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Where you won’t see a smile is if Australia loses the match. Whatsmore, if the Moore captaincy has taken immediate hold, there won’t be the slightest shred of mirth on any Wallaby face.

“He’s probably one of the last old-school guys getting around,” explains an ex-Wallaby teammate.

“He could never understand blokes getting around after games we’d lost laughing and smiling and all that stuff. He absolutely hates losing.

“He takes the responsibility of playing for Australia very seriously.”

It had already faded significantly, but the appointment of Moore as Test captain will mark the precise moment the age of indifference disappears completely from within the Wallabies ranks.

Gone will be the signs of apparent apathy after defeat, lax discipline before games will be no longer and any ego-driven, me-first behaviour within the team environment will be rewarded with an on-the-spot performance review.
A blunt one.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/rugby/w...eading-wallabies/story-e6frf55l-1226938994930

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
I don't disagree with you, but Genia has the runs on the board at test level. If he was out of form I could see an argument for him to be replaced.

Re Ginea V White, the latter has had the advantage of been behind a pack moving forward. Always makes a half look much better than a half behind a pack often on the back foot.

hammertimethere

Trevor Allan (34)
1. Scott Sio
2. Stephen Moore (c)
3. James Slipper
4. James Horwill
5. Rob Simmons
6. Scott Fardy
7. Michael Hooper
8. Wycliff Palu
9. Will Genia
10. Bernard Foley
11. Nick Cummins
12. Matt To'omua
13. Adam Ashley-Cooper
14. Rob Horne
15. Israel Folau
16. Tatafu Polota-Nau
17. Sekope Kepu
18. Pek Cowan
19. Luke Jones
20. Scott Higginbotham
21. Nic White
22. Pat McCabe
23. Kurtley Beale
The team that the Roar selected.
http://www.theroar.com.au/2014/06/02/roars-wallabies-xv-face-france/

I could cop the shit out of this

hammertimethere

Trevor Allan (34)
He also has the advantage of a better passing and kicking game....

Incorrect x 2 (well maybe 1 and a half). Genia's passing game was fucking excellent against the highlanders as was his execution of judiciously timed attacking kicks. Shouldered responsibility for clearing out of the reds 22 (because Lucas's right boot is a pop gun) too and did ok. Those talents have been on display inconsistently over the last 6 games to be sure but we know they are there.

White has had a good season. Fair enough, his team has played better. His long kicking game is superior to Genia's absolutely. He also kicks goals. It's not like he hasn't played a bad game (see brumbies in SA 2014) but he's been good mostly.

It is patently untrue to say black and white that Nic's "Passing and Kicking" is better than Will's.
His passing is good, Will's is at least as good and mostly better.
His long kicking game is excellent, Will's is only reasonable.
His short kicking game is decent, Will's is excellent.
His running game is ok, Will's is outstanding.
His control of the ruck base, tackling and general skills are very very good, but Will by and large can do all those things better and has displayed that for the Wallabies many times.

Is Nic a great player? Yep
Has he usurped Genia as the Wallabies no. 1 half back? No, but he is closer than he was last year.
At this stage, Will is still top dog and I would suggest that similarly to last year he will be pushed all the way by white, maybe even benched for him for a few games but will start 90% of the time if fit.

How lucky are we to have the pair of them?

T

Train Without a Station

Will pulled out just the performance necessary to justify his starting position Friday night. Which is why I don't want him to start. Strengthens my impression that he was the Red more interested in his Wallabies aspirations than the Reds.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
It is patently untrue to say black and white that Nic's "Passing and Kicking" is better than Will's.
His passing is good, Will's is at least as good and mostly better.
His long kicking game is excellent, Will's is only reasonable.
His short kicking game is decent, Will's is excellent.
His running game is ok, Will's is outstanding.
His control of the ruck base, tackling and general skills are very very good, but Will by and large can do all those things better and has displayed that for the Wallabies many times.

You seem to be comparing White with a Will Genia that existed a couple of years ago...........

White's speed to the breakdown, decision making, ball distribution and kicking has all been significantly better than Genia's all year...........

Genia showed on the weekend that he still has the attributes to be a great player, but it's too little too late to be deserving of a starting spot, particularly when both White and Phipps had stellar performances.........

Some time on the bench might vitalise Genia, and his experience is still worth a lot..........

something

Jim Clark (26)
white coming on for the last 20 and down by 2 could be invaluable. long & accurate kicking game against tired defence + the ability to kick long penalties is pretty handy for a bench player.

(i'd still prefer white to start)

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
If the Gabba crowd can go from booing Michael Clarke to cheering him I'm sure Squeaky will be fine at Suncorp. Negative crowd mentality is a lot like mob mentality - works off the power equivalent of one brain cell & easily forgets.

Can't complain about the C & VC selections.

Status
Not open for further replies.