• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallaby Watch 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I really think Horne will get the spot over McCabe be it on the bench or wing. Remember Link first picked Horne as an 18 year old when he's never worked with McCabe before.

McCabe has the ability to play from 12 to 15, he has more flexibility than Horne from the bench

Horne is a centre playing on the wing (and he plays more centre than wing each week for the Tahs)

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
I heard the same arguments about the Brumbies / Sharks game.both sides will field quite a few players for the Boks and Wallabies.
With a comment like that, I would hazard a guess that you've not seen the game in question. There is no comparison. I am not exaggerating when I say that in 60 minutes of game time, not one scrum was decided without a penalty or short arm free kick; not one attacking raid was tried by Toulon; not one attacking raid by Castres made it to the Toulon 22 meter line; there were no more than one or two phases of play between stoppages, and every attacking piece ended in a penalty to the defending team. It was absolutely atrocious.

The replay is on Fox this afternoon. Check it out if you want to completely waste a couple of hours of your life and then come back with an informed comment.

BDA

Jim Lenehan (48)
The way I see it, if I had to start either McCabe or Horne on the wing I'd go with McCabe. But if I was looking for a bench option probably McCabe.

With that said, I expect Beale to be on the bench and he provides cover for 15 (although looks like he'll play 10 in the dying stages of the game instead).

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I definitely think the 13/14/bench is the trickiest selection remaining in the side.

AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)'s form has been emphatic all season and he played arguably his best game of the year against the Chiefs in what was probably the best win the Tahs have had for several years. He's the obvious choice for 13 and if he plays there, I think Horne will get the nod at 14 with Kuridrani on the bench.

If Kuridrani gets picked at 13, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) will be 14 and I think McCabe will be on the bench for his increased versatility.

I think Foley and Beale are 10/bench regardless of the other selections. I'd pick Foley at 10 but I'm still not convinced which way Link will go.

lewisr

Bill McLean (32)
is team announcement today or tomorrow? ABC was saying they were going to announce moore as captain today???

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
is team announcement today or tomorrow? ABC was saying they were going to announce moore as captain today???

Captain today, team tomorrow.

The captain is a tough one. Can certainly understand Moore being chosen as of all the guys in the squad his will be the least in question by the time the RWC hits. Pocock's return will always hang over Hooper (not that i think it is right), Cooper is injured and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) is the only other guy I would be confident of being in the XV that is a candidate.

Fowi

Chris McKivat (8)
1. Scott Sio
2. Stephen Moore (c)
3. James Slipper
4. James Horwill
5. Rob Simmons
6. Scott Fardy
7. Michael Hooper
8. Wycliff Palu
9. Will Genia
10. Bernard Foley
11. Nick Cummins
12. Matt To'omua
13. Adam Ashley-Cooper
14. Rob Horne
15. Israel Folau

16. Tatafu Polota-Nau
17. Sekope Kepu
18. Pek Cowan
19. Luke Jones
20. Scott Higginbotham
21. Nic White
22. Pat McCabe
23. Kurtley Beale

The team that the Roar selected.
http://www.theroar.com.au/2014/06/02/roars-wallabies-xv-face-france/

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I definitely think the 13/14/bench is the trickiest selection remaining in the side.

AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)'s form has been emphatic all season and he played arguably his best game of the year against the Chiefs in what was probably the best win the Tahs have had for several years. He's the obvious choice for 13 and if he plays there, I think Horne will get the nod at 14 with Kuridrani on the bench.

If Kuridrani gets picked at 13, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) will be 14 and I think McCabe will be on the bench for his increased versatility.

I think Foley and Beale are 10/bench regardless of the other selections. I'd pick Foley at 10 but I'm still not convinced which way Link will go.

There were some timely performances on the weekend, and Kuridrani's was one of them...........

I'm also of the opinion that AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) is without a doubt our best outside centre and his current form is excellent, but I think Link will continue with what he had last year..........

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
There were some timely performances on the weekend, and Kuridrani's was one of them.....

I'm also of the opinion that AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) is without a doubt our best outside centre and his current form is excellent, but I think Link will continue with what he had last year....

Yeah, I tend to think that Kuridrani's game against the Rebels got him over the line to stay in the starting side.

Hard to know whether moving AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) out of 13 is the best choice for the side though. If Tomane was available I don't think there'd be much of a discussion. If Speight was available there would be zero discussion.

Set piece magic

John Solomon (38)
Horwill deserves at least one test to prove that he will be better with an inform team that has a backline that can penetrate and a dynamic forward pack.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Aside from a poor game against the Brumbies, Luke Jones has stood out at lock in a struggling side all year.

I don't accept the premise that a player deserves a shot in the Wallabies to see if their form is better than they have been demonstrating on a weekly basis.

When are new players going to be blooded if we don't pick the best performing one to replace a poorly performing incumbent player?

Pfitzy

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Horwill deserves at least one test to prove that he will be better with an inform team that has a backline that can penetrate and a dynamic forward pack.

Sooooo you want to put a guy into a unit that is going to play well anyway to save his spot, when anyone else put in that position might do equally well?

As Braveheart says above (in not so many words) fuck him.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
1. Scott Sio
2. Stephen Moore (c)
3. James Slipper
4. James Horwill
5. Rob Simmons
6. Scott Fardy
7. Michael Hooper
8. Wycliff Palu
9. Will Genia
10. Bernard Foley
11. Nick Cummins
12. Matt To'omua
13. Adam Ashley-Cooper
14. Rob Horne
15. Israel Folau
16. Tatafu Polota-Nau
17. Sekope Kepu
18. Pek Cowan
19. Luke Jones
20. Scott Higginbotham
21. Nic White
22. Pat McCabe
23. Kurtley Beale
The team that the Roar selected.
http://www.theroar.com.au/2014/06/02/roars-wallabies-xv-face-france/[/quote

IMO wrong on 1, 3, 4, 9 and 13 - particularly Genia

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member

I actually reckon my game would be a lot better surrounded by test players and not 4th grade subbies strugglers. I'll give Link a call, surely he'll see that logic and give me a shot!

T

Train Without a Station

BH and Pfitzy you have fair points. But it isn't as clear cut as that.
With the exception of Sam Carter who has performed at a fairly consistent level the general theme is that many of those knocking on the door (e.g. Jones, Skelton, etc.) have started the year very strongly, however have failed to maintain that form to an extent, and theirs is probably on a slight decline if anything.

On the other hand, incumbents like Horwill, Genia and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) have started their seasons a little slowly, however appearing to be starting to hit form now.

It's not a black and white comparison. I'm sure Link has a look and thinks "X player has had a full off-season, been refreshed and then had a full pre-season and has subsequently hit the ground running. Y Player on the other hand was on tour until December last year. He got home mid-December, had a short break, then joined in pre-season late and subsequently has started the season slowly and gradually improved".

I'm certainly not discounting form, we just need to consider that sometimes it's not a like for like comparison and jumping out the blocks is easier for those who haven't been playing for the Wallabies year round.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
We have the exact same discussion at this time every year. People will go bananas for player X, who has been showing good form for his provincial side but has no test experience. Test veteran Y, on the other hand, may not be setting the house on fire but is in decent shape and is a proven performer at the top level.

Each player has merit, and we argue here until we are blue in the face. I reckon Player Y ends up being selected 80% of the time.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member

He won't be the first Wallaby to be selected on reputation instead of form, and he won't be the last.

It is the same reasoning (this time from Reds supporters o_O ) that led to a thousand Reds supporters going ballistic over too many Tahs players being selected in previous teams.

Status
Not open for further replies.