• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallaby Watch 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
There's a lot of desire on these boards to see To'omua at 10. Much of it stems from the desire to see a 10 who plays a conservative, field position game (Jakeball if you like). But that is not the gameplan that Australia (McKenzie and Pulver specifically) want to play. If it was, Jake White would be national coach, not Link and To'omua would be first pick at 10.

McKenzie's gameplan involves a hard-working aerobic pack, an adventurous fly-half with a conservative, hard running inside centre who can also distribute and a ball -carrying, tackle breaking outside centre. These are coupled to a fullback and two wingers who are able to run and play in company. Not necessarily out and out speedsters, but capable of busting the line. This was developed on the EOYT, and as the tour progressed the team was playing the system particularly well.

No Australian Super team is playing this system. The Brumbies are playing Jakeball, the Force have developed a conservative defensive gameplan that relies on them forcing turnovers and then using a multiple phases to break down the opposition. The Reds have no discernible system and the Rebels are playing a Force-type defence, but are looking to be adventurous in attack. At first glance you might say the Tahs are similar, but the Tah game is based on raw power to get over the advantage line with two attacking playmakers to provide opportunities for the power players to break the line. McKenzie seems to value workrate over power, which is why Douglas is heading overseas.

Unless Link changes the gameplan, I cannot see him putting To'omua anywhere but 12 because the gameplan requires an adventurous flyhalf. Cooper, Beale and Foley fit that specification. Lilo could if he could find his 2012 form again, but because he's playing the Brumby system this is unlikely to happen. My own opinion is that he has cruelled his Wallaby career by not moving to the Rebels next year. Loyalty is not always a good trait, it can blind you to better opportunities.

The biggest risk is that while we have three good back up 10's all the candidates as back-up 12 are severely limited in some way or other. You could say that Beale, Horne, Godwin, McCabe and Inman have some of To'omua's characteristics; but none of them have all. Godwin possibly has the most but he is crocked. So lets hope the injury gods are merciful till Godwin recovers. For every other backline position we have got at least two competent replacements except 12.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
@ Hawko

Agree 100% mate except for the part aout Beale being an adventurous 10. Adventurous and and a supremely skilled player, but like Bob Dwyer has stated a few times (most recently in this week's blog article) I do not see him as a 10. He is too individualistic and IMHO whist he has added to the Tahs attack at times this year he has hampered it on as many. I think Chieka has Beale and Horne in the wrong positions and the Tahs would function better with them reversed and Beale playing a roving game.

I sincerely hope that Beale is on the bench for the Wallabies, the thought of him at 10 makes my blood run cold. I would rather a conservative game plan with To'omua at 10.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
@ Hawko

I sincerely hope that Beale is on the bench for the Wallabies, the thought of him at 10 makes my blood run cold. I would rather a conservative game plan with To'omua at 10.

I actually think Link has Foley assigned to 10; you may remember in the Rugby HQ interview he stated that even when Cooper was still uninjured, Foley was in his squad. Either that means Cooper was already out (unlikely) or that Beale was the addition when Cooper went down. Speculating, I know, but I think Link had Cooper and Foley at 10 and Beale as back-up to Izzy. When Cooper went down, Beale was moved to back-up 10.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Moore to be announced as captain........?

Stephen Moore has emerged as the frontrunner for the Wallabies captaincy just days out from Monday's announcement on the Gold Coast.

Despite coach Ewen McKenzie's high praise of Michael Hooper at the Wallabies launch last week, the Breakdown understands Moore had been told two weeks earlier that he was McKenzie's choice and would have Hooper as his deputy.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/u...inst-french-20140529-zrs0j.html#ixzz335zvcNGB

And Sharpe is also backing Moore for the captaincy..........

http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-news-sport/moores-the-man-for-wallabies-sharpe-20140529-396l9.html

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
Hawko, i totally agree. i would see foley as 10 and To'omua at 12, the running kurindrani,AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) or Horne at 13. beale should be on the bench as back up 10,15

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
OK I just watched the Rebels/Tahs game, first Super match I have seen in a while. But you could take a lot out of it re Wallabies I thought.

Foley has to be 10 over Beale. Jeez he was good, admittedly with space and momentum every time he touched the ball. I just love his simplicity- no jinks or frills, just plays flat and takes the ball forward before distributing well to the men outside him.

Is Nick Phipps the form Aussie 9? I don't think there is a better quick-ball halfback in Australia. He is certainly underrated for mine, not that I would pick him.

Palu and Jones both have to start. Inman was also very good, and I hope he is given a chance if we get a few injuries.

Pfitzy

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I actually think Link has Foley assigned to 10; you may remember in the Rugby HQ interview he stated that even when Cooper was still uninjured, Foley was in his squad. Either that means Cooper was already out (unlikely) or that Beale was the addition when Cooper went down. Speculating, I know, but I think Link had Cooper and Foley at 10 and Beale as back-up to Izzy. When Cooper went down, Beale was moved to back-up 10.

More likely that either McCabe or Horne was on the chopping block if Quade was OK.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
OK I just watched the Rebels/Tahs game, first Super match I have seen in a while. But you could take a lot out of it re Wallabies I thought.

Foley has to be 10 over Beale. Jeez he was good, admittedly with space and momentum every time he touched the ball. I just love his simplicity- no jinks or frills, just plays flat and takes the ball forward before distributing well to the men outside him.

Is Nick Phipps the form Aussie 9? I don't think there is a better quick-ball halfback in Australia. He is certainly underrated for mine, not that I would pick him.

Palu and Jones both have to start. Inman was also very good, and I hope he is given a chance if we get a few injuries.

Hugh are you having trouble finding games?

Just PM me if you are, I got you.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member

If Foley is 10, I would have White as 9, he adds a long kicking game from hand and place.

Status
Not open for further replies.