• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallaby Watch 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Troy

Jim Clark (26)
It only became out of position on the end of year tour

Sent from my HTC_0P6A1 using Tapatalk

For me, if you aspire to play for the Wallabies and receive an ARU top up, there should be a directive from Link stating player X plays in position Y.

That way they'd play that position day in day out and when it comes time to take the step up to international level, along with the added intensity, physicality & speed you're playing your natural position, not also playing a position you haven't played for the last 7 months!

Tomikin

David Codey (61)
For me, if you aspire to play for the Wallabies and receive an ARU top up, there should be a directive from Link stating player X plays in position Y.

That way they'd play that position day in day out and when it comes time to take the step up to international level, along with the added intensity, physicality & speed you're playing your natural position, not also playing a position you haven't played for the last 7 months!
So basically Link coach's every team?

T

Train Without a Station

Not at all but I can understand the logic behind ARU having the opportunity to advise preferences.

Obviously nobody is saying that the Brumbies should have to play a substandard 10 instead, but perhaps when you have options, attempting to play players in their best position for Australia. I think it's especially fair in the case of the Brumbies who have 3 current Wallabies that all play 12 and 2 of them play 10.

No expectations of micro-management or forcing franchises to make selections to their own detriment.

To that though, the onus is on the ARU and Link specifically to discuss these matters with the franchise coaching staffs and actually really look at why each of these parties have their own views and understand what they need to get out of the players on the park.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)

Could you imagine if such a system was in place, and Deans was still the coach?

JOC (James O'Connor) would be playing flyhalf for the Reds next year.........

Athilnaur

Arch Winning (36)
Re To'omua at 12, I wonder how Dan Carter's career would have gone had he been kept at centre due to his direct play and defensive ability? Cockamamie idea to me worthy of Deans.

Reactions: Tex

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
It's amazing how often the conversation comes back to playing people out of position and Robbie Deans.

Are any of the coaches really that different?

Slipper has played both sides of the scrum this year so selecting him at LHP isn't really out of position, but it's arguable which side is his correct position.

Fardy has played lock most of the season and will probably be selected at 6.

Beale has played 12 all season and will probably be selected at 10.

To'omua has played 10 all season and will probably be selected at 12.

AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) has played 13 all season and there is a strong chance he'll be selected at 14. If he isn't, Rob Horne, who was completely out of position on the wing two months ago is a good shot to be selected there.

I think it shows that a lot of players are very versatile and can excel in multiple positions. What is best for the Super Rugby team might not be best for the test team. What might be perceived as a dumb selection because they are 'out of position' could just be a perception of what people are used to, rather than what might work best either immediately because of other player availability or in the long term because ideally you want a player playing for the Wallabies in a certain position.

Tomikin

David Codey (61)
It's amazing how often the conversation comes back to playing people out of position and Robbie Deans.

Are any of the coaches really that different?

Slipper has played both sides of the scrum this year so selecting him at LHP isn't really out of position, but it's arguable which side is his correct position.

Fardy has played lock most of the season and will probably be selected at 6.

Beale has played 12 all season and will probably be selected at 10.

To'omua has played 10 all season and will probably be selected at 12.

AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) has played 13 all season and there is a strong chance he'll be selected at 14. If he isn't, Rob Horne, who was completely out of position on the wing two months ago is a good shot to be selected there.

I think it shows that a lot of players are very versatile and can excel in multiple positions. What is best for the Super Rugby team might not be best for the test team. What might be perceived as a dumb selection because they are 'out of position' could just be a perception of what people are used to, rather than what might work best either immediately because of other player availability or in the long term because ideally you want a player playing for the Wallabies in a certain position.
It is weird that way this time last year To'omua was a 10 nothing else.. but now people want him at 12

Mortal Wombat

Allen Oxlade (6)
Troy said:
if you aspire to play for the Wallabies and receive an ARU top up, there should be a directive from Link stating player X plays in position Y.

This should definitely be the case for the most technical positions, like tight head prop. It's a joke how long Ben Alexander spent playing loose head for the Brumbies. He should be years further along in his development in a position where Australia are almost always weak.

Tomikin

David Codey (61)
This should definitely be the case for the most technical positions, like tight head prop. It's a joke how long Ben Alexander spent playing loose head for the Brumbies. He should be years further along in his development in a position where Australia are almost always weak.
Or he should have stayed a loosehead were he was best.. He moved for the good of oz rugby but he was a better LHP

Tomikin

David Codey (61)
Almost everyone is a better loose head early in their career, because its easier and less technical. It takes years to learn how to scrummage against two main points of contact instead of one.
I didn't know that .. :)

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
Dan Carter is nowhere near as strong in contact or aggressive in defence.

Ugh stop you're getting me too excited for when To'omua rearranges Tales entire upper body :D

It is weird that way this time last year To'omua was a 10 nothing else.. but now people want him at 12

He was too good on the EOYT tour not to be considered there again. This is my personal opinion but I think 12 is genuinely a better position for him than 10.

To'omua looks far more dangerous with the extra space and onus on running the ball in the 12 channel.

Almost everyone is a better loose head early in their career, because its easier and less technical. It takes years to learn how to scrummage against two main points of contact instead of one.

Fantastic insight.

Sort of like how at younger ages some 10s are developed as a 15 first to give them the luxury of time and space to aid in their decision making.

Athilnaur

Arch Winning (36)
Dan Carter is nowhere near as strong in contact or aggressive in defence so you cannot just compare them Athilnaur.

While I agree Toomoua is both of those things, both of them play a direct uncomplicated style ball in hand, and both are very good defenders. Both were played at inside centre early in their int'l career. Toomoua is a lot closer to DC's style of play at flyhalf than he is to Beale or Cooper. And I'd have Toomoua at 10 over Beale, Cooper or Foley.

He has the gift of looking like he always has time and that is, I feel, a crucial trait of a good flyhalf.

So yeah, I can compare them alright.

Status
Not open for further replies.