• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallaby Watch 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
Fair call, my point was that Fardy isn't as much of a standout for his position than the other three.
Also a fair point re AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) v Moore and their long tenure..

In any case, if it's either Hooper or Moore I don't think there would be too many arguments from anyone.

T

TOCC

Fardy definitely doesn't doesn't hold a mortgage over his position like Moore or Hooper do..

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
In other news, apparently Longbottom wasn't considered because he's about to join Saracens.... paywall, but there's enough in the first paragraph:

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spo...ottom-cuts-ties/story-e6frg7o6-1226932364190#

Missed that news but it now explains why Cowan and Ryan were selected in front of him. IMO he really deserved a place in the squad as bench prop and may have developed into our THP starter. Gutted to see him go but at this stage he wouldn't have got an ARU top-up so he is probably going for at least double the money he can get here.

Having Genia, Cooper and Folau etc. on mega-money sure does cruel it for guys who don't have enough star power. There's only a limited amount of money to go round and if we can't afford to pay any to the best performing THP in Australian Super teams then this is what happens. Bloody depressing.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Saracens signed Juan Figallo too who could be considered the best tighthead in the world last year. Longbottom could come back one of the top tightheads in the world.

BDA

Jim Lenehan (48)
I'd go with Hooper as captain, Moore as Vice Captain, at least for the french series. im not sure we have to settle on a captain just yet. For the world cup I think our best prospect for captain is Higgers, but he needs to work on securing his place in the starting side first. If he can do that he ticks all the boxes.

Tomikin

David Codey (61)
I'd go with Hooper as captain, Moore as Vice Captain, at least for the french series. im not sure we have to settle on a captain just yet. For the world cup I think our best prospect for captain is Higgers, but he needs to work on securing his place in the starting side first. If he can do that he ticks all the boxes.

Except Higgers has made some shocking decisions as Captain this year..

T

Train Without a Station

There's only 2 players with any runs on the board as a captain.

One, Ben Mowen, is off to France and therefore was not selected.

The other, James Horwill, is leading a team going through a rough period and is under a lot pressure (some external - some internal) and also struggling to get back to his best after multiple injuries since 2010.

Talk of anybody else have shown anything is inaccurate, only based on fleeting moments, not long periods of consistent quality leadership.

Tomikin

David Codey (61)
There's only 2 players with any runs on the board as a captain.

One, Ben Mowen, is off to France and therefore was not selected.

The other, James Horwill, is leading a team going through a rough period and is under a lot pressure (some external - some internal) and also struggling to get back to his best after multiple injuries since 2010.

Talk of anybody else have shown anything is inaccurate, only based on fleeting moments, not long periods of consistent quality leadership.
Maybe giving Horwill the nod and the Captains badge will fire up the big man

Sent from my HTC_0P6A1 using Tapatalk

BDA

Jim Lenehan (48)
Except Higgers has made some shocking decisions as Captain this year..

yep. higgers is going through a bit of a learning process right now as captain for the rebs. like we all do in life, he's learning on the job. he'll be better for it if / when he ultimately gets the job

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
It was just last game Higgers decided to run the ball out from the Rebels half after the HT siren.. got turned over and had the Waratahs 5m from their line. Cost them a yellow and luckily a missed penalty.

Also up there with Fardy for most penalties conceded.

Tomikin

David Codey (61)
yep. higgers is going through a bit of a learning process right now as captain for the rebs. like we all do in life, he's learning on the job. he'll be better for it if / when he ultimately gets the job

I do like the fact he is Captaining a Young Rebels side, at Super Level, and I would hope he becomes better, but at this time his chance won't come till after next years world cup (unless injuries) or never. Here and now I would say his position is as up in the air as Horwills and Big Kev's a better captain.

BDA

Jim Lenehan (48)
It was just last game Higgers decided to run the ball out from the Rebels half after the HT siren.. got turned over and had the Waratahs 5m from their line. Cost them a yellow and luckily a missed penalty.

He was having a crack. i like the approach, it was poor execution that let him down

again i never said he should be captain this june, but looking ahead i see him a potentially great captain. he needs to get in the starting 15 first.

Tomikin

David Codey (61)

ahhhh Fardy, he does give them away, I would say hard done by, but his got the job of being the 7 with out a 7 and I think his doing it quite well... if he has a Hodgson/Hooper/Poecock/Smith Im sure he wouldn't be giving as many away..

Is that how others see it ? ?

Tomikin

David Codey (61)
Why are we still discussing this? It's Hooper. There, saved you hours of needless speculation.

Mostly because of this

262507-michael-hooper.jpg

or this

793527-michael-hooper1.jpg

EDIT: PS I love the bloke, I said when he was at the Brumbies he could take Pococks job.. But sometimes he has the funniest looking photos

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
ahhhh Fardy, he does give them away, I would say hard done by, but his got the job of being the 7 with out a 7 and I think his doing it quite well. if he has a Hodgson/Hooper/Poecock/Smith Im sure he wouldn't be giving as many away..

Is that how others see it ? ?

The Brumbies are coached to attack at the breakdown, one person attempts to pilfer and another pushes them down so they can't be cleaned out easily. This is risky because if you get it wrong you're going off your feet which Fardy has been done for numerous times.

Tomikin

David Codey (61)
The Brumbies are coached to attack at the breakdown, one person attempts to pilfer and another pushes them down so they can't be cleaned out easily. This is risky because if you get it wrong you're going off your feet which Fardy has been done for numerous times.

Thanks for the insight I will watch this more.. Still think Fardy is a awesome 6, he just plays like I want him too.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
I'd like to see Hooper Capt and To'omua vice captain these are the two guys the wallabies should be building their world cup campaign and beyond around. Moore is of great benefit being an old head up front and a leader in his own right...

I dont really want to (but occasionally dont mind stirring the pot) but... wasnt there talk of Moore not being overly liked internally something about him and a previous wallaby capt dishing up their mates to the coach????

I would have liked this post until I got to the rubish being regurgitated in the last para.

But yeah. Hooper as Captain and To'omua vc does it for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.