• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallaby Watch 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
I like Fardy but I don't think he's a certainty for every game between now and RWC15 by any means..if he loses form and any 2 of Palu, Higginbotham and McCalman, throw in Quirk & Shatz too, are playing well, then he could lose his spot..

So:
Moore
Hooper
AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
Folau

Forget Folau, he's awesome but not a leader yet. If AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) was ever going to be captain he would be already. So it's out of Hooper or Moore.

Some might argue that Moore is due to hang up his boots after the RWC but that does matter..the gig is to captain the side from now till the RWC.

Moore.

T

Train Without a Station

If Moore loses form then TPN, Hanson, Charles or Fainga'a could potentially take his spot.

If Hooper loses form Hodgson, Gill or potentially Pocock could take his spot.

You can't discount any one player on the basis, if they lose form yet point to any other option.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
If AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) was ever going to be captain he would be already. So it's out of Hooper or Moore.

Some might argue that Moore is due to hang up his boots after the RWC but that does matter..the gig is to captain the side from now till the RWC.

Moore.

How does that statement apply to AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) any more than it applies to Moore?

I'm not saying Moore shouldn't be captain, but if we're using history of not being the captain, Moore has plenty of experience!

D

daz

But Daz, that's the thing. No single player is an absolute certainty.

Whilst everybody here agrees that Moore, Fardy, To'omua, Slipper, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) and Folau will start, that doesn't mean that will not change in the next 15 months.

No, I get that, and I agree nothing is a 100% certain.

But Link is talking a lot about setting a course, and making a choice and sticking to it.

We need to pick a squad to win the RWC, and we need to pick one person to captain it. And the VC should be the guy to take the wheel should the captain be injured.

We have had (for various reasons) a handful of Wallaby captains recently. We turn them over like old socks, and I would prefer to name a bloke who is going to see us through the next few years, just like the periods of Eales, Mortlock, etc.

And for experience, well, that's what the leadership group is all about.

I just don't see the point in talking about guys for captain who are likely to be jostling for position, or who are likely to be replaced when someone else returns from injury.

Tomikin

David Codey (61)
I like Fardy but I don't think he's a certainty for every game between now and RWC15 by any means..if he loses form and any 2 of Palu, Higginbotham and McCalman, throw in Quirk & Shatz too, are playing well, then he could lose his spot..

So:
Moore
Hooper
AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
Folau

Forget Folau, he's awesome but not a leader yet. If AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) was ever going to be captain he would be already. So it's out of Hooper or Moore.

Moore.
Gees Moore could to TAF and Hooper to Gill Hodgson Poecock.

Sent from my HTC_0P6A1 using Tapatalk

T

Train Without a Station

It would be to our detriment to try and force a long term captain. The team's and individual player's success in the cases of players like Eales weren't necessarily due to their duration in charge. Their duration in charge was due to their success.

Sometimes you just don't have a great long term captain sitting around. You're better off anointing the best option you have at the time, every time, until they come along.

What's worse? Changing captains based on player form, or sticking with the wrong choice at captain to avoid change?

suckerforred

Chilla Wilson (44)
Also doesn't mean that one or all of them won't suffer a career ending injury between now & then & not be available anyway. (Touch wood, cross everything, turn around 3 times & throw the salt over the left or was it right shoulder.....)

So who, in the squad, would make a good captain:

AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) - Senior player, likely to be in any side just a matter of where, likely to play the whole game if he starts. Has worn the arm band before if only for part of a game. Wouldn't be my first choice.

Fardy - Love the boy. Been a breath of fresh air, but captain?

Folau - Let him deal with playing to the best of his ability.

Hooper - young, sensible, seems alright when he has had a go for the Tahs. Might need a bit more ref wrangling experience. Good back up though.

Horwill - done it before, capt of reds, form could be an issue.

Moore - Senior player. But as many people have pointed out, why has he not captained before. Do we want a front rower captain?

Simmons - What are you smoking?

Slipper - Senior player. Has he captained before? Do we want a front rower captain?

To'omua - Not entirely silly suggestion, but not sure he would cope with that thrust upon him. See Folau.

TPN - See Moore & Slipper. Not likely to be starting unless Moore breaks something (including some other blokes jaw - kidding).

I could go though the whole squad like that but these are the names that were mentioned on this page and have ignored Cooper & Poey cause the are injured.

Let's face it I don't think that any of us know who Link is thinking of for Captain or who he is thinking would be a shoe in for a certain start on the team. I think that most of the senior guys would make a fair fist of it and it is not beyond the realms of inconceivability that that one or more of them won't be there next year because of form or injury.

Pete King

Phil Hardcastle (33)
I'd like to see Hooper Capt and To'omua vice captain these are the two guys the wallabies should be building their world cup campaign and beyond around. Moore is of great benefit being an old head up front and a leader in his own right.......

I dont really want to (but occasionally dont mind stirring the pot) but....... wasnt there talk of Moore not being overly liked internally something about him and a previous wallaby capt dishing up their mates to the coach????

Deputy Van Halen

Larry Dwyer (12)
The captain is clearly going to be Higgers. Do you think the recent clean shaven, short back and sides look is a coincidence? He's obviously been told to clean up for the presser.

;)

suckerforred

Chilla Wilson (44)
Thought:

Would it be bad to have a 'squad' captain, i.e. the best leader in the group, but if he is not named in the match side then someone else is given the responsibility for that game?

Not without precedent - Current Socceroos captain is injured therefore Cahill was 'Acting Captain'. Davis Cup (Tennis) Team Captain is not generally one of the players.

suckerforred

Chilla Wilson (44)
I dont really want to (but occasionally dont mind stirring the pot) but... wasnt there talk of Moore not being overly liked internally something about him and a previous wallaby capt dishing up their mates to the coach????

Please put that in the complete and utter bullshit bin.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
We need a non-playing captain who makes dispassionate calls from the sideline via audio link to the ref. He can pass on virtual uppercuts to players being nuffies too.
No problem with continuity, never gets injured unless he slips getting beers, and can spend extra time working on his press conference Poker Face, and getting his cliches lined up for post match Dingo-Bingo.
You all know it makes sense.

D

daz

Yep. Our next Wallaby captain will be a sk8er boi.

Or @cyclopath. One or the other.

Status
Not open for further replies.