• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallaby Watch 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

BDA

Jim Lenehan (48)
Personally I see McCalman as more of a 6 than a classic 8. Good work rate, but less effective with ball in hand than Palu and Higgers.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
It'll be interesting, I think if Skelton makes his way onto the bench Higgers could find himself on the bench over McCalman due to his lineout work.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Personally I see McCalman as more of a 6 than a classic 8. Good work rate, but less effective with ball in hand than Palu and Higgers.

More of a 6 not as effective with ball in hand - like who? Willie O, Finnegan, (Cockbain I'll grant you but he was there for lineout and defensive aggro), Daniel Manu, Illie Tabua, Elsom. All bar Cockbain were noted ball runners and all bar Elsom feared defenders. I think McCalman is about as close to a Elsom (in form prior to Ireland) replacement as there is in Oz.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
McCalman is nowhere near Elsom at his best. Elsom possesed a sensational running game, which admittedly dried up somewhat after his stint in Europe, and was much more effective at the breakdown. His line out work was better than McCalmans as well.
I too would question the impact, or lack thereof, that both Mac and Hodgo have had at test level. For mine both Gill and maybe Cottrell would have been better choices. With Jones and Fardy there we may not have needed one of those two at all.

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
what i think the line up will be.

i really think To'omua is the best 10. higgers will get the bench for his versatility and ability to break open play

Highlander35

Steve Williams (59)
Completely for poops and giggles, I put together a Brum-bahs vs Tah-bahs game, assuming everyone was fully fit. Probably a little Rebels Biased, but meh.

Attachments

• Brum-Bahs vs Tah-Bahs.xlsx
    12.4 KB · Views: 370

Scotty

David Codey (61)
There's been a fair bit of noise in the media over the last week about a rift in the Wallabies that was caused over player payments last year and it sounds like it still lingers in the squad to a degree. From all reports it seems that that is where any issue lies, rather than over the whole Dublin 6 episode.

For those that don't know what I'm talking about, the players have an agreement that all players are paid equally on tours lasting 14 days or more regardless of who plays. For tours less than that, players vote on the issue.

The Rugby Championship tour of South Africa and Argentina last year lasted 12 days and the players voted on whether they would get paid based on matches or split everything equally.

The players who voted against splitting the money equally weren't very popular amongst their teammates.

Here's one of the stories http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport.../story-fnii0ksb-1226930518238?from=public_rss

A little birdy has told me that Moore often if not always votes against splitting equally. Apparently even when one time he was the only person in the squad to vote that way.

This is what I have been alluding to with reference to him never being selected as captain.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
In other news, apparently Longbottom wasn't considered because he's about to join Saracens........ paywall, but there's enough in the first paragraph:

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spo...ottom-cuts-ties/story-e6frg7o6-1226932364190#
Wallabies coach Ewen McKenzie told The Australianlast night he became aware a week ago that Longbottom had committed to London club Saracens and, in line with the policy of not choosing overseas-bound players that cost NSW Waratahs lock Kane Douglas and Brumbies number eight Ben Mowen places in the Wallabies squad to play France, crossed the 28-year-old frontrower off his selection list.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
What's more concerning is your complete misunderstanding of the term "hearsay", and how you're using it to smear a player's character...........

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Well I don't understand why those payments should be split equally, if I had to vote I'd give it a no. Match payment is a match payment.. I believe they already get living expenses paid for on tour.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Personally, I don't particularly care either way....... but I completely agree with Gnostic:

That is a system fraught with pitfalls. I don't know who the fool was that agreed to that as a formal process? Why set up something that has provides such an assured source of division?

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Apparently John Connolly nearly made Stephen Moore captain in 2007 (the rest of it in from a Canberra Times scope):

Former Test coach John Connolly is adamant ACT Brumbies hooker Stephen Moore "ticks all the boxes" to be the new Wallabies captain, revealing he almost made Moore Australia's captain for the 2007 World Cup.

Moore is the front-runner for the Wallabies captaincy job as coach Ewen McKenzie plans to replace outgoing leader Ben Mowen in the three Test series against France next month.

NSW Waratahs star Michael Hooper and Queensland duo Will Genia and James Horwill are also in contention, but 91-Test stalwart Moore is tipped to be anointed skipper when the Test squad assembles on Sunday.

Connolly described Moore's manner as "John Eales-ish" and said his experience made him the perfect candidate to take the reins.

In fact, Connolly said he almost opted for a then 22-year-old Moore instead of Brumbies and Wallabies great Stirling Mortlock to lead Australia's World Cup campaign seven years ago.

"Stirling got the job, but Stephen Moore and Matt Giteau were right in contention. It was a very close call and Stephen Moore ticks all the boxes as captain for me," Connolly said.

"I think it would be a massive ask for a young guy like Hooper to take over now. I like Genia as a captain, but with how Queensland is going makes it hard for him and Horwill.

"I'd be very surprised if Stephen Moore wasn't the Wallabies captain. It would be a big step for Hooper. Hooper's time will come, but I think Moore is clearly the best option."

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/union-news/stephen-moores-time-has-come-as-wallabies-captain-john-connolly-20140526-zro8e.html#ixzz32phoAczg

Status
Not open for further replies.