• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallabies Watch

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Paradox

:D It's a very one sided analysis and not a mullering. The Reds scrum was marched backwards about 10 metres at one point. That's a mullering. I can't see anything in the article that says how many penalties were won from scrums and who won them? I'm pretty sure the Brumbies may have forced more. Analysis across the whole season is missing as well. For a start, rnd 1 the Reds scrum was dominated with different locks involved. The scrum has been a weapon at times for the Brumbies, not so for the Reds. Finally, Slipper has scrummaged far worse than Alexander at international level thus far.

P

Paradox

I personally don't want Smith to play. Nothing against him, I'm a huge fan, but he made a decision to leave Aust rugby and other guys have stood up. Hooper was outstanding last year and is starting to find that form again. Gill has been a revelation this year for the Reds. He has been close to the best on ground in every game bar the Blues. I thought he out preformed Smith in the Brumbies game, only just.
Like Braveheart81 says 7 is not an area we should be worried about. We have 3 really good options and anyone of they will go well and trouble the Lions and we'll have another on the bench to come on and terrorise them late in the game.

Guess what, Smith is playing rugby in Australia.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
You don't want Smith to play because you want a Reds player at 7. I want the best players who have played super rugby for Australia this year and that includes Smith. Guess what, he's playing in Aust rugby!
I actually think Hooper should start. He was great last year and is starting to hit form.

Lucky for you I was just expressing my opinion and in the second paragraph I mention we have 3 really good options, Smith being one of them.

T

Train Without a Station

I kind of disagree. I am a fan of Quade but I honestly don't think we will lose much with JOC (James O'Connor) at 10.

I disagree and say we definitely would lose a lot with him at 10. Whilst they may be fairly equal in regards to their quality as a player, one is a flyhalf like a player who has developed in the role and improved on his weaknesses over time.

The other is a flyhalf, like you just put your best player there in Under 12's. Passing game, game management and tactical kicking are inferior. With the exception of passing, it's not skill levels where JOC (James O'Connor) is inferior. E.g. he can kick just as well as Quade, Quade knows where to kick more often though.

Obviously I am being a little dramatic with the Under 12's comment but do you get what I am aiming at? JOC (James O'Connor) has had good games at 10, but as a player, not as a 10. If JOC (James O'Connor) was a test quality 10, the Rebels would be playing him there every week, because they are struggling enough as it is.

Also noticed Spiro's article today he was pushing the line Quade was a "maybe no" and Beale was a "maybe yes"... So it get's worse.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Jake's pretty clever with how he deals with the press. While I kind of agree with him about Folau needing to commit the flip side is that he is playing Super rugby, contracted to the ARU and eligible (it has been pointed out to me that they are the requirements to being selected). Guess it's up to Deans to decide.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I agree completely with the sentiment that he needs to be committed to Australian Rugby before he is selected. It is expected his contract situation will be sorted out by the end of May which provides enough time.

I think the number of games of rugby are irrelevant though. If he's good enough and he's signed beyond this season then he should be picked.

BDA

Jim Lenehan (48)
Surely the ARU has enough money available next year to retain Folau with Ioane/Barnes/Mitchell/Timani heading overseas.

brumsfan

Sydney Middleton (9)
I wonder if Jake feels the same about George Smith, he is not available after the Lions tests and has said he won't be back next year. Maybe that doesn't support his argument, as jake likes to say when it suits him that's professional sport.

T

TOCC

:D It's a very one sided analysis and not a mullering. The Reds scrum was marched backwards about 10 metres at one point. That's a mullering. I can't see anything in the article that says how many penalties were won from scrums and who won them? I'm pretty sure the Brumbies may have forced more. Analysis across the whole season is missing as well. For a start, rnd 1 the Reds scrum was dominated with different locks involved. The scrum has been a weapon at times for the Brumbies, not so for the Reds. Finally, Slipper has scrummaged far worse than Alexander at international level thus far.

Subjective as it may be, one thing is certain and that is that the Brumbies didn't dominate the Reds scrum as some were predicting would happen prior to the game.

Reds allegedly had the worst scrum in the Aussie province besides the Rebels, Brumbies allegedly had the best... If anything was proven that night it's that the standard is a lot closer then previously suggested and the perception of some players scrummaging ability is comparitively either under or overstated.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I wonder if Jake feels the same about George Smith, he is not available after the Lions tests and has said he won't be back next year. Maybe that doesn't support his argument, as jake likes to say when it suits him that's professional sport.

But George has already given more than a decade and 100+ tests for the Wallabies.........

Jake is saying that a guy that has only played 9 games of rugby union in his lifetime shouldn't be playing against the Lions, particularly if he's not going to be around next year.........

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
Has nobody told Jake that the Wallabies also run a quota system?

Only in the ARU version it's big name former league players that the coach is obliged to include in the match day 22.

Mr Doug

Dick Tooth (41)
Is anyone south of the NSW/Qld border aware of the fact that the ARU has signed a four-year partnership deal with Bond University here on the GC? Deal includes access bond's facilities, plus Skilled Park, Robina. Wallabies, U20s, plus men's and women's Sevens are included.

Perhaps this is mentioned elsewhere, or maybe it's not of interest to members?!!

When Mr Doug joined GAGR in 2011, he asked for Bond University logo to be added to his Wallabies and Reds logos on his posts. Sadly he was advised that none was available! Perhaps sometime in the next few months that may change, given the above arrangement.

T

TOCC

Sorry for digressing, but building on Mr Doug's comment:

Bond Uni has increased their Rugby Union investment dramatically in the past 18months... Just to highlight how this organisation is now contributing to the game of rugby union:

-In 2012 Bond purchased the Gold Coast Titans centre of excellence and renamed it the Bond Institute of Health and Sport.
-In 2012 Bond Univsity became a partner of the Gold Coast 7's allowing the Australian Mens and Womens team to use the the Facilities mentioned above.
-In 2012/2013 off-season Bond University partnered with the Gold Coast Breakers(now the Bond University Breakers) providing funding, new home ground and training facilities.
-Australias U20 side has been conducting their training camp at Bond University prior to France.
-The Bulls were based at Bond University prior to their game against the Reds earlier this year, likewise the Sharks will use it as their home camp when they arrive.

This all occurred after former QRU Board Member Tim Brailsford was appointed Vice Chancellor and President at Bond University.
434361-titans-centre.jpg

Former Gold Coast Titans Centre of Excellence has fantastic facilities which are now available to Australian Rugby Union representative teams(Wallabies, U20, 7's)

Status
Not open for further replies.