• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallabies Watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Bond University and ARU Strategic deal. Is this the facility that is so desperately needed to facilitate the National team and lead to a reduction of toxicity in the Wobs?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
It was only half a game but I thought Beale played himself into the Wallabies squad tonight. His interplay with JOC (James O'Connor) was brilliant.

I reckon Beale looks fitter and faster than at any point last season.

It will be interesting to see how he goes over the next couple of weeks.

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
If Hugh Pyle does not make the Wallabies it's a disgrace. He is the form lock in Australia at the moment and a lone out caller which is needed since Sharpie's retirement.

Yes, I am a Rebels fan but the guy is a machine and in form.

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
I'd still have him behind Horwill and Douglas, ahead of Simmons though. Had a huge game tonight.
Horwill and Pyle would be my locks. He has had a huge game the last few weeks and his a true leader of the forwards, was the only stand out against the Sharks as well.

Tah's line out has been rubbish this season.

D

daz

Pyle is coming along in leaps and bounds, but he is not a starting Wallaby lock right now; certainly not for the Lions series.

I have no doubt however, that he will get a call-up at some stage this year. The fact is that the Lions tour then the RC and EOYT will provide plenty of injury gaps to fill.

Same with Inman. He will get a run some time this year as well. There is a shit load of rugby playing minutes to get through this year and I see some midweek games on the horizon for those fringe guys.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
If Hugh Pyle does not make the Wallabies it's a disgrace. He is the form lock in Australia at the moment and a lone out caller which is needed since Sharpie's retirement.

That's ridiculous. He can't defend a maul.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)

He'll need to keep up this form of the past two games though........

Up until last week he wouldn't have been considered for the squad.........

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
I think JOC (James O'Connor) is less impressive at 10 tonight. He needs to be further out to be effective.

I thought JOC (James O'Connor) organised the Rebels backs superbly. He played more of a flyhalf role, underplaying his hand compared to previous weeks but still providing plenty of go forward ball. 5 tries for the team is a very good haul.

abrixon

Bob McCowan (2)
With the probable Lions Centre combination of Roberts and Tuilagi, you would assume that Deans will revert to a more physical centre pairing. It wouldnt surprise me seeing Horne and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) line up at 12/13, with Taps on the bench. Im loving Lilo at the moment but i cant see him starting at but possibly on the bench with Taps and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) being the outside backs cover. With just over 2 years until RWC exposing Lilo, Mogg, Folou to the test arena is good timing but through the bench not starting.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
With the probable Lions Centre combination of Roberts and Tuilagi, you would assume that Deans will revert to a more physical centre pairing. It wouldnt surprise me seeing Horne and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) line up at 12/13, with Taps on the bench. Im loving Lilo at the moment but i cant see him starting at but possibly on the bench with Taps and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) being the outside backs cover. With just over 2 years until RWC exposing Lilo, Mogg, Folou to the test arena is good timing but through the bench not starting.

Is it odd picking a team because they picked a team, isnt it giving them control or allowing them to think so from the outset. But we are dealing with Deans.

I'd like to see / think they were nervous about our selection and changing their mind set, or having to play out of their comfort zone - genia, cooper, Ionne, taps, oConnor, folou, Beale

Joe Mac

Arch Winning (36)
JOC (James O'Connor) looked like the perfect 12 out there tonight. His defence is strong and his vision is excellent but his kicking game is average.

9 Genia
10 Quade
11 Tomane
12 JOC (James O'Connor)
13 AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
14 Folau
15 Beale

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
JOC (James O'Connor) looked like the perfect 12 out there tonight. His defence is strong and his vision is excellent but his kicking game is average

That is why I'm thinking thirteen. With Genia, QC (Quade Cooper), and Tap, I think having JOC (James O'Connor) at thirteen it will add extra to QC (Quade Cooper), and it would be nice having vision with a 13 that can throw various passes and also run, he would form a very attacking 11, 13, 14, 15 thinking Beale at 15.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
I love playing fantasy rugby and swapping all the various combinations around to find the dream backline but let's be honest. Game one against the Lions will be a cauldron. It's not the place for experimenting with positions and combinations, less so with debuts and blokes with a sprinkling of caps against minor teams.

Tomane has played once for the Wallabies in that atrocious game against Scotland. Folau has played the game for 6(!) months and should commit to the sport before he's rewarded above other blokes. JOC (James O'Connor) has never played a S15 game at 13, let alone a test.

There's capacity for one bloke without the experience of the Wallabies structure and test rugby to run on, and for me that's Lealiifano.

Genia
Cooper
Ioane
Lealiifano
Ashley-Cooper
O'Connor
Beale

My only concern with a backline like that is the comparative lack of weight to bring down a Tuilagi/Roberts combination.

Status
Not open for further replies.