• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallabies Watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

jay-c

Ron Walden (29)
slow down us rugger>
JOC (James O'Connor) was a world class talent on the wing several years ago> hes a slower fatter version right now in his attempt to bulk up and play in the centers
hes been burnt for pace several times this year and having the lightning pace was part of the reason he was such a threat in 2010/2011...
i do however agree with you and id still have him on the wing myself > but he'd be outa the gym and doing sprints till the lions series if i was in charge

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
He's an extremely classy player and hasn't lost nearly as much pace as you're saying he has. He's also on fucking fire right now and just tore two very good teams to absolute ribbons. Fit and healthy he is the starting 14 for Australia unless Deans puts him somewhere else.

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
slow down us rugger>
JOC (James O'Connor) was a world class talent on the wing several years ago> hes a slower fatter version right now in his attempt to bulk up and play in the centers
hes been burnt for pace several times this year and having the lightning pace was part of the reason he was such a threat in 2010/2011.
i do however agree with you and id still have him on the wing myself > but he'd be outa the gym and doing sprints till the lions series if i was in charge
That is absolute rubbish. Just completely ridiculous. Have you actually watched him play this year? He's never had lightning top end pace, what he does have is phenomenal acceleration.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
His ridiculous footwork was and is the reason he shreds defences, as Dumbledore said he was never much faster than other wingers. It's like I'm reading an analysis piece on The Roar ;)

jay-c

Ron Walden (29)
it was an exageration i know> but meant to highlight that he has indeed lost that vital 1%
in the world cup v ireland when he chased down bowe from the other side of the field he had lightening pace
he was faster then a lot of wingers then but at that elite level carrying an extra few kilos will reduce a players acceleration and top end pace> ask beale
ive watched every pro game hes ever played i think> this was not an uninformed comment
hes still got great footwork> and maybe i went a bit far> but i think he's added weight to increase his abilities in the centers> and that i feel reduces his finishing abilities on the wing

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
Yes because kilos from pie and booze binges on a guy built like Kurtley and kilos built through nutrition and time in the gym on a guy built like JOC (James O'Connor) are pretty much the same thing.

jay-c

Ron Walden (29)
ok then ask lotte?
are u trying to suggest that his weight gain hasnt affected his top end pace or acceleration?
im not talking about big differences here> but as i keep trying to stress> at that level it is the 1%ers that matter so much
for eg. in the world cup- bowe took the intercept on the irish 5 meter line and oconner tackled him on our 5meter line, over that distance if oconner was 1% slower he would have missed bowe by .9 of a meter
now lets not get into exact numbers because neither of us have those stats>but oconner sure looks like hes put on weight in the last year

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
He looks like he's put on maybe a couple of kilos tops. His acceleration is just as good as it's ever been and he's significantly stronger in contact than he was before his injury troubles. We haven't really seen him stretch out this year, largely because he hasn't had the space out wide he's had at times for the Wallabies. If he's slower this year, which I disagree with, it's probably because he didn't play rugby for a solid six months because of hamstring issues not because he's 'fatter.'

jay-c

Ron Walden (29)
he was burnt by mogg and mvovo i think just off the top of my head>
'fatter' was definitely the wrong word ill admit
i spose without having the stats we arnt gunna know exactly how much weight hes put on or if his acceleration and top end has been influenced> i think it has> and while hes still agile enough to beat most i think his acceleration and top end pace isnt what it was> thing is with oconner is i think he was that far ahead before that even if hes lost a bit he still can beat most>> my main reasoning is we havnt got many pure finishers and none with oconners all round game>
i just fear that for what we are gaining, we are losing potentially the next shane williams>

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
Why would we want another Shane Williams? JOC (James O'Connor) is already better than he ever was. We'll have to agree to disagree, because I don't think JOC (James O'Connor) has ever had the top line speed to match guys like Mvovo and Mogg. Anyway, he's definitely our best bet for the right wing at the moment and our second or third best in pretty much every other backline position. He's a phenomenal player, I won't be even a little bit surprised if he's player of the series against the Lions.

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
Oh for gods sake.

He should be wearing number 14 for this series. He doesn't belong at 10, especially when we have both Cooper and To'omua playing the house down, and Lealiifano is in immense form at 12 right now. We have Beale, Mogg and Folau as options at 15, and Ioane at 11.

Just let him carve up from the right wing, where he's played almost every single game of his international career, and was at one stage the best in the world.

Our backline right now is so incredibly obvious that I can't understand how everyone isn't on the same page.

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
getting a bit ahead of yourself there mate> agree with a lot of what your saying. but theres no way you can justify that claim
Shane Williams was good at scoring tries and getting run over the top of. I know who I'd rather have.

Status
Not open for further replies.