• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallabies Watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I actually thought Phipps was great for the Rebels. One of the best games I've seen him play.

The sooking is still a big issue......

I know a lot of halfbacks do it, but he actually takes himself out of the game when he does it.......

The amount of times where after a ruck turnover he actually turns his back on the ensuing play to wave his arms in the air, and makes absolutely zero effort to get into a position to defend the counter attack........

It needs to be beaten out of him..........

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Robbie Deans was just on the wireless and mentioned that getting George Smith into the Wallabies is just a matter of paperwork between the ARU and Suntory in terms of insurance.

Swat

Chilla Wilson (44)
I actually thought Phipps was great for the Rebels. One of the best games I've seen him play.

EOTNF.gif

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
That is why I'm thinking thirteen. With Genia, QC (Quade Cooper), and Tap, I think having JOC (James O'Connor) at thirteen it will add extra to QC (Quade Cooper), and it would be nice having vision with a 13 that can throw various passes and also run, he would form a very attacking 11, 13, 14, 15 thinking Beale at 15.

The more I think about it the more I like JOC (James O'Connor) at 13, especially with the added bulk. My only real concern before was if his body could take the abuse a 13 usually does. The way he attacks the line is perfect for a 13, seriously if he did what he does at 10 but out wide at 13 he would devastate defenses. He is a brave defender with great technique and is solid defensively. My only question-mark surrounds whether or not he can organize a defense around him like a 13 is expected to do but other than that I think it could be brilliant.

It goes over great in my head but he would need to play at least half a season at Super Rugby in the 13 jumper before anything solid could be said about it.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I'm going to go back to my predictions from a long time ago and suggest that Beale is going to play 10 in the first Lions test.

If he plays a few solid games between now and when the squad is picked, I think he'll get the nod. Considering his fitness was such an issue last year and at the start of the season, the shape he has returned in is incredibly encouraging.

For his own sake, I hope the incident in South Africa where he clearly acted like a complete d!ckhead has brought everything to a head and he is now accepting that he had a serious problem and is working hard to deal with it.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
You might be right there, Dd, but where would you put him? I think his best positions are 11/14 or 15, but he's not top of the pile in either category. Presuming all are fit, here's my list for the Lions:

11/14 Ioane>Folau/JOC (James O'Connor)>Tomane>Mitchell>Cummins>Shipperley
15 Beale>Mogg>JOC (James O'Connor)>Folau>Barnes

The pecking order for fullbacks could probably be argued where Mogg fits in, he's a rookie but the best in Oz this year. However, the selectors probably rank him #4 against the Lions.

Promoted after an appeal from Septica.
Added after a complaint from Paradox.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Probably should have put my Phipps comment in the match thread. Not saying he should be in Wallaby selection, just he was better than I had seen him play in the past.

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
At the moment I'd have him in on the wing although I suspect Deans will have him at flyhalf. He's a phenomenal runner of the ball in tight spaces as well as on the counter. Runs great lines, is a good defender, is getting better under the high ball and is absolutely fearless. Cool head under pressure, good combination with other Wallabies. Rises to the occasion. On the wing I'd have him ahead of everyone of those players you mention. Given I think Deans will play him at flyhalf, I think that leaves Digby on one wing and Mogg and Folau fighting for the other one. If Beale can keep playing like he did last night he'll be fullback for sure.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
HAHAHAHAHA wait you can't honestly think JOC (James O'Connor) is below Tomane and Mitchell in the pecking order for the 14 jersey. That was a very late April Fool's joke, right?

Seriously the kid is a fucking world class talent on the wing and is one of the few players the All Blacks actually get worried about playing, that says a lot seeing he still has a decade or more left in his career.

Status
Not open for further replies.