• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallabies Watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
They will not select him at fullback to start. You have to be able to kick in test rugby and his position play is still lacking. He'll be exposed at international level there. Good chance to start on wing though.
He's kicked, what, twice in the entire Soup so far? There's no way he can't kick, Cheika's just decided he's way more of a threat running the ball back. How's his positional play lacking? Serious question, if you can point out some specific instances I'd be interested to go back and have a look.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
This is still my 23, although there are too many debutants for Deans to go with it against the Lions........... and he won't select Cooper:

1. Robinson
2. Moore
3. Palmer
4. Douglas
5. Horwill
6. Mowen
7. Smith
8. Palu
9. Genia
10. Cooper
11. Ioane
12. Lealiifano
13. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
14. JOC (James O'Connor)
15. Mogg

16. TPN
17. Slipper
18. Alexander
19. MMM
20. Gill/Hooper
21. White
22. Tapuai
23. Folau

Having said that Higginbotham is starting to get into some form so I reckon Deans will most likely play him at 6.........

If I had to go for a single starting rookie in the first test I'd go with Lilo at 12, but I bet everyone's other favourite Brumby centre will be given the job.........

P

Paradox

There's been nothing wrong with his positional play the last month. He hasn't been exploited at all. He's learning extremely fast.
Not really, and his strategic kicking game? You can't just run everything back at test level in case you hadn't noticed.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Like others have mentioned he can kick and he has a pretty big boot, you just don't see it because the Tahs aren't kicking it on purpose..

The Reds and Brumbies exploited him, no doubt about it but that was early on and he doesn't seem to have any of those faults any more.

BDA

Jim Lenehan (48)
How could barnes possibly get selected. he's played 0 rugby this season, he's unlikely to play much before the series (given the form of the tahs backline), he's at best 3rd choice at fullback, fourth choice inside centre, and fourth or fifth choice flyhalf

P

Paradox

He's kicked, what, twice in the entire Soup so far? There's no way he can't kick, Cheika's just decided he's way more of a threat running the ball back. How's his positional play lacking? Serious question, if you can point out some specific instances I'd be interested to go back and have a look.

Try those 2 bombs he didn't catch last week against the Bulls because he was to deep.

Go on prove to me he can kick strategically in a rugby match. You've made a serious assertion so show me some specific examples. ;)

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
How could barnes possibly get selected. he's played 0 rugby this season, he's unlikely to play much before the series (given the form of the tahs backline), he's at best 3rd choice at fullback, fourth choice inside centre, and fourth or fifth choice flyhalf

For the same reason McCabe, Timani and Phipps will probably all get selected.........

Robbie-Deans-exuberant-with-Wallabies-win-over-All-Blacks-in-Tri-Nations-Rugby-News-94666.jpg

BDA

Jim Lenehan (48)
Folau has some stern tests coming up over the next few rounds. currently you'd have to say he'll be starting the first lions test on the wing. Hard to leave him out of the team, even if it means moving O'Connor to 10 or 12

P

Paradox

Like others have mentioned he can kick and he has a pretty big boot, you just don't see it because the Tahs aren't kicking it on purpose..

The Reds and Brumbies exploited him, no doubt about it but that was early on and he doesn't seem to have any of those faults any more.

Got to be wing in his first test. Don't mind him covering XV but wouldn't start him there. I agree with others that 13 is his long term posy.

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
Not really, and his strategic kicking game? You can't just run everything back at test level in case you hadn't noticed.
There's no reason why you can't in theory. Teams don't, but that's not to say it couldn't be done. I'll track down some footage of him kicking a footy around for GWS, he's got a fine boot - better than the popgun Barnes is carrying anyway I'd say.

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
Try those 2 bombs he didn't catch last week against the Bulls because he was to deep.

Go on prove to me he can kick strategically in a rugby match. You've made a serious assertion so show me some specific examples. ;)
I just said I thought he'd kicked maybe twice all year. I've got no idea what his strategic kicking is like. I'm sure it's not quite as good as that of our lord and saviour, Jesse Mogg, but it will be fine.

Will have to go back and have a look at that Bulls game. Missing high balls like that isn't good, especially given that's pretty much all the Lions will have.

BDA

Jim Lenehan (48)
For the same reason McCabe, Timani and Phipps will probably all get selected...

Id have McCabe in the squad, because we need at least one hard-nosed, straight running utility back.

Timani I dont have a problem with because he was immense in some of the 2012 tests. He is really just included in the squad in the enforcer role and he does it quite well

Re Phipps, do we need a third halfback in the squad? probably not but that is more of a logistical question for the coaching team, and Phipps is clearly the third choice halfback so if they want 3 halfbacks in the squad he's the obvious choice.

Barnes though??? He did a good job last year in various positions but I'm not sure what his point of difference is. It's been a very high standard of footy from the AUS teams this year and Barnes hasnt been involved in any of it

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member

Because he was very good at 15 on the EOYT, and very good at 10 against Wales mid-year. He is one player who always lifts in the big occasions, and very rarely lets the Wallabies down.

That is why he will be selected- if he is.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
If we end up having both Mogg and Folau in the 23, I think Deans will look for an experienced bench option who covers multiple positions. Barnes would fit that role well.

Like Beale, he has runs on the board for the Wallabies and will be likely to figure among the squad if he shows fitness and some form in the next few weeks.

Lealiifano, Mogg and Folau are the three uncapped players clearly vying for selection. I would say that their likely selection hinders other less experienced players from getting a run. Some experienced backline players will be looked for to balance that out.

BDA

Jim Lenehan (48)
My Team and Squad

1. Robinson
2. Moore
3. Slipper
4. Horwill (c)
5. Douglas
6. Higginbotham
7. Smith
8. Palu
9. Genia
10. Cooper
11. Ioane
12. Lilo
13. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
14. Folau
15. O'Connor

16. TPN
17. Palmer
18. Alexander
19. MMM
20. Hooper
21. White
22. Beale
23. McCabe

Kepu - because he can scrum
Hanson
Simmons - I am tempted to put him in the starting side on current form
Timani - to play the enforcer role
Mowen
Gill
Mogg
Tapuai
Tomane

I see no reason to include Fotu. We have 3 or 4 guys above who can play no.8 better than he can.

It was hard leaving Gill, Mowen and Mogg out of the 22 but the depth in their respective positions is strong at the moment

BDA

Jim Lenehan (48)
If we end up having both Mogg and Folau in the 23, I think Deans will look for an experienced bench option who covers multiple positions. Barnes would fit that role well.

Like Beale, he has runs on the board for the Wallabies and will be likely to figure among the squad if he shows fitness and some form in the next few weeks.

Lealiifano, Mogg and Folau are the three uncapped players clearly vying for selection. I would say that their likely selection hinders other less experienced players from getting a run. Some experienced backline players will be looked for to balance that out.

Id much prefer Beale on the bench to Barnes.

BDA

Jim Lenehan (48)
Because he was very good at 15 on the EOYT, and very good at 10 against Wales mid-year. He is one player who always lifts in the big occasions, and very rarely lets the Wallabies down.

That is why he will be selected- if he is.

Are you saying that you'd play him at 15? Or 10 for that matter?

The reason he played those positions in 2012 was because our injury count was ridiculously high. I would have Beale/O'Connor/Mogg all ahead of him at 15 and Cooper/O'Connor/Beale all ahead of him at 10.

Status
Not open for further replies.