• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallabies Watch

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TOCC

Yeah agree in regards to Taps and Lealifano as well, taps has lost his mojo a bit.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
There is intense competition for the #7 jumper and the bench loose forward, assuming that George Smith is available.

Gill was shut down by some effective unknowns from Auckland Blues last night, and many will view the defensive effort from the Reds as being of near Test intensity.

Hooper has had a rather quiet season so far, and there is a hint from his coach that this is because he has had to do not only his job, but cover for various shortfalls across the park in the Tahs. That wasn`t the case in his last outing against the Chiefs and we got to see glimpses of the Hoops of 2012.

If he can back up with another dominant performance against the Bulls in Pretoria this weekend, then the selection lottery for the #7 and backup #7 is on again.

Taps: Hmmm - I get a bit of a Morgan Turunui feeling about him. Fairly decent and usually reliable when there is no one else around knocking on the door for selection, either for injury or form slumps. For me, I'm tempted to go for Lilo. I don't think that he would disappoint in the 12 jumper against the Lions.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
.....Groucho how does he need to defend in the line? O'Conner doesn't even need to play 10 to be an option there apparently. Barnes also.
He needs to defend in the line,because there is nowhere to hide against the Lions.If he is considered a risk defending at 10, then he is a risk at 15.If he is a risk anywhere, he should not be selected.
As Fatprop posted above, Deans has basically said that QC (Quade Cooper) needs to defend there.
FWIW, I think QC (Quade Cooper) has defended well the last few games.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Cooper defended just fine last night. I think we need to move on. It's very hard to see a lot of un-ticked boxes on his résumé at the moment. If he keeps making the improvements each week, he must be the 10. Sure, Genia is running a fair bit of it, but it's working.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Yeah Braveheart I agree the last 2 weeks Taps has been quiet. It seems like we having been giving the centres too much ball really. Gill was a bit quiet last night too.

Groucho how does he need to defend in the line? O'Conner doesn't even need to play 10 to be an option there apparently. Barnes also.

I think that Deans expects him to be able to, JOC (James O'Connor) & Barnes do man up when playing 10

The last big game Cooper played 10 for the Wobs, they hid him on the wing in defence and the ABs attacked him there giving him no respite - and he cracked

It is my guess that Deans doesn't want to do that again - ever, so Cooper has to man up in the line and make his tackles like every other 10.

BDA

Jim Lenehan (48)
Last night simply demonstrated that the Reds benefit hugely from Cooper defending at fullback. He created a try opportunity from nothing, only for Rod Davies to butcher it.

These days I probably lean towards the view point that it is a tactical switch gained to exploit Cooper's strengths, rather than hide his weaknesses.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
If you don't have QC (Quade Cooper) at #10 for the Wobs, then who?

Despite the alleged defensive frailties, on current form no one else is standing up and shouting "pick me", or presenting a stronger case for selection in this critical position.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
If you don't have QC (Quade Cooper) at #10 for the Wobs, then who?

Despite the alleged defensive frailties, on current form no one else is standing up and shouting "pick me", or presenting a stronger case for selection in this critical position.

I believe Deans will pick JOC (James O'Connor)

T

Train Without a Station

Quade needs to defend at 10 for the Wallabies, he has shown he is able to do it now this season.

But why does he need to show he is able to do a small portion of the 10s role this season, yet JOC (James O'Connor) is fine to pick there without showing any of a 10s role? There's nowhere to hide against the Lions and his poor game management, tactical kicking, inferior passing game and run first instinct will surely be found out if Quade's perceived defensive weaknesses will.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I believe Deans is a numpty.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk HD

You may be right, but he is selecting the side

I would pick Cooper at 15 and let the 10 interchange with him (JOC (James O'Connor) or Lilo) but that is not the approach I expect Deans to go with

T

Train Without a Station

Well they have the experience Sully. And that's important.

Rassie

Trevor Allan (34)
You're spot on about Genia running the Reds atm, not Cooper
Its because two of their parts is not working well. The back 3 which is more like a back 1 and a half and Australia's premier line breaker. Digby. Off course without those quick recycles the likes of Cooper don't have that space to run into.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
Last night simply demonstrated that the Reds benefit hugely from Cooper defending at fullback. He created a try opportunity from nothing, only for Rod Davies to butcher it.

These days I probably lean towards the view point that it is a tactical switch gained to exploit Cooper's strengths, rather than wide his weaknesses.

The 'he's not even that dangerous at 15' argument is pretty easily countered by this:

Seriously, anyone who can watch that second try and tell me Cooper isn't a big enough threat from the back to justify putting him there needs to ring their Mother and ask her exactly how many times she dropped them as a child.

Rassie

Trevor Allan (34)
The 'he's not even that dangerous at 15' argument is pretty easily countered by this:

Seriously, anyone who can watch that second try and tell me Cooper isn't a big enough threat from the back to justify putting him there needs to ring their Mother and ask her exactly how many times she dropped them as a child.
But why put him at 15 when he can be even more dangerous at 10? Genia and Cooper need some continuity which they did not have a lot of in their partnership the last year or two. Gregan and Larkham had a long partnership which Australia benefited from which was build in time. Gregan ran the show but he always knew where Larkham was and when to give it to him to make the decisions. He could have played blindfolded and he would still knew where he was. Yes Larkham was dangerous at fullback but he was even more playing at 10.

TSR

Andrew Slack (58)
I'm going to skip the Cooper situation, but certainly Tapuai struggled last night. He hasn't been looking like the player he was in the last couple of years. I certainly sense there is a chance for Lealiifano to grab hold of the 12 jersey (or god forbid, McCabe or Horne with some more good performances, or Barnes when he makes a comeback).
BH - you keep throwing Barnes name up. But I can't even see a place for him in the Waratahs starting side at the moment. IMO Foley, Horne & Folau are playing too well for him to get a look in at 10, 12 or 15 (baring injury).

Serious question - if you still feel he is a contender for the Wallabies, what position will he be starting for the Waratahs when he returns from injury?

Status
Not open for further replies.