• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallabies Watch

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Train Without a Station

Palu deserves to start...

But based on what? Test performances 12 months ago? Since then has he played much more than 50% of available matches?

He may be our best option in fact after consideration, but let's have that consideration first and look at the contendors. Shatz and Brown have been playing some good rugby. Personally I don't think Shatz is test standard an Brown may be a bit small actually but let's not just blindly say a bloke who has sporadic good test performances is our only option to start based on a good game last November, one in June and a couple 2 Spring Tours ago.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I wouldn't say must. But I don't think Palu is so far ahead, Fotu should be disregarded as an option. Look at them equally, and pick who has performed the best come selection time.

Most people arguing for Palu are saying that Auelua should be on the bench to replace him in the last 20 minutes.

He was about our second best forward after Hooper on the EOYT. People that are arguing that he hasn't played good test rugby for years are delusional. It is fair to say that he's never dominated against the All Blacks, but who of our forwards have. We've played about 2 Bledisloe Cup tests in the last half a dozen years where our forward pack has been dominant.

Palu has clearly had injury problems over the years (and this season) but he was superb in his first game starting against the Chiefs. Obviously he has to stay healthy now leading up to the Lions series.

Meanwhile Auelua has probably turned in two of his weaker performances of the season in the last couple of weeks. He was particularly quiet against the Reds which was a huge game to stake his claim. He hasn't started a lot of games this year but it seems that when he does, his impact is less. Maybe he's a flat track bully when he gets to come on for the last half an hour when players are tiring. If that is the time when he is best, then perhaps he is best as a bench option against the Lions to really provide a point of difference (as Dingo would say) late in the game.

T

Train Without a Station

I disagree Braveheart. I doubt Dingo would describe him in a way that could be understood so easily.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
I saw Michael Lynagh name his Wallabies team during the week basically as follows:-

1.Robinson
2.Moore
3. Alexander
4. Horwill
5. Timani
6. Higgers
7. Smith
8. Palu
9. Genia
10. Cooper
11. Ioane
12. Lilo
13. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
14. OConnor
15. Mogg
16. TPN
17. Slipper
18. Ryan
19. Simo
20. Gill
21. White
22. Taps
23. Folau

I dont hate this team but I wouldnt play Timani and Palu in the same pack. If Palu does happen to be injured Id probably play Timani at lock and Mowen and Higgers/Dennis at 6/8. At this stage I'd have more faith in Timani to make an impact than Fotu.

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
Timani sure has found some form this year. He even takes the ball in the lineout!

I wouldn't mind having this lineup if Timani were jumping. He's shown he can do it for 10 rounds now, why not do it in Gold?

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Interesting comments from Deans last night on Rugby HQ

Where he saw improvement in the Wobs last year, the whole sides efforts & physicality at the breakdown

the lack of respect from fans/pundits of the work done off the ball by some players

on Quade, he knows what is expected of him - with a poignant note that there is no where to "hide" in test rugby

Rassie

Trevor Allan (34)
My first name on that team sheet would be O'Connor. Such a brilliant and fast thinker on a rugby field and he show size does not matter. How do you stop a charging Schalk Burger a couple of meters from the tryline without much gain?
vlcsnap-2013-04-25-12h57m06s241_zps3c9be4b3.png

Thats brilliant!

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I quite like Noddy's team. Think Palmer might be worth a look in the front row. Lets hope these guys can stay fit for the next 8 weeks.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
Interesting comments from Deans last night on Rugby HQ

Where he saw improvement in the Wobs last year, the whole sides efforts & physicality at the breakdown

the lack of respect from fans/pundits of the work done off the ball by some players

on Quade, he knows what is expected of him - with a poignant note that there is no where to "hide" in test rugby

That means defend in the line.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
My first name on that team sheet would be O'Connor. Such a brilliant and fast thinker on a rugby field and he show size does not matter. How do you stop a charging Schalk Burger a couple of meters from the tryline without much gain?
vlcsnap-2013-04-25-12h57m06s241_zps3c9be4b3.png

Thats brilliant!

I remember JOC (James O'Connor) also smashing Spies into touch in the RWC qtr final. That's what I love about JOC (James O'Connor) compared to Beale and Cooper. His attitude when he's on the field is top, everything is 100% and at high intensity.

Rassie

Trevor Allan (34)
I remember JOC (James O'Connor) also smashing Spies into touch in the RWC qtr final. That's what I love about JOC (James O'Connor) compared to Beale and Cooper. His attitude when he's on the field is top, everything is 100% and at high intensity.
His dedication is superb. Throws himself around like a loosy

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
Cooper defined flaky today. Hesitant steps into contact. He has a way to go to get back up to test standard and he needs to get on with it pronto.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
He's showing few of the assured pinpoint abilities that made him such a wonderful Supe player, and potentially such a good test player.

When he gets the ball he props and looks around instead of passing it instantly and accurately to the best option like he used to, or else he fires a pass at random.

Genia is the Reds playmaker at the moment. Cooper is perhaps getting back there but he has a way to go. He shows no sign of unlocking defenses.

And he needs to defend in the line. No one believes the story about it being the best attacking option. Outstanding hit notwithstanding: he's always had that ability.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I'm going to skip the Cooper situation, but certainly Tapuai struggled last night. He hasn't been looking like the player he was in the last couple of years. I certainly sense there is a chance for Lealiifano to grab hold of the 12 jersey (or god forbid, McCabe or Horne with some more good performances, or Barnes when he makes a comeback).

T

Train Without a Station

Yeah Braveheart I agree the last 2 weeks Taps has been quiet. It seems like we having been giving the centres too much ball really. Gill was a bit quiet last night too.

Groucho how does he need to defend in the line? O'Conner doesn't even need to play 10 to be an option there apparently. Barnes also.

Status
Not open for further replies.