• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallabies Watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sir Arthur Higgins

Dick Tooth (41)
oh and i would put Lilo at 10 and if not him, then JOC (James O'Connor).
don't forget how excellent JOC (James O'Connor) was at 10 for the wallabies previously.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
White was injured. Mogg didn't play nearly as well last year as he did this year.

To'omua will not play 10 for the Wallabies against the Lions barring injuries to Beale, JOC (James O'Connor), Cooper and Barnes. He is a decent 10 behind a very good pack who has only really had one standout game.

And you couldn't put in Lilo as he has been playing 12 all season and barring an injury to To'omua you would imagine that will continue.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
Lilo at 12 is a very real possibility. He's been the form inside centre in Australia and might well have been the 10 against Wales if it wasn't for that awful injury.

I think Beale is the likely 10 based on a mix of form, fit within the Wallaby setup and experience. He's not ideal in any particular category but he's the only candidate, at least right now, who rates well enough in all 3 (although form is obviously pretty indeterminate right now). I do think that if Lilo was playing at 10 things might be a hit different but that's not how it's shaking out.

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
A couple of years ago the cupboard looked a bit bare at 12. It is great that Lealiifano, Tapuai and Godwin have been injury free and in great form this season. Just a shame none of the 10s are firing and there are no promising 13s (when you consider AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)'s current form).

Froggy

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
I think 10, 12 & 13 are all pretty open at the moment. Beale would have to be ahead for 10 at the moment, if only because he's the incumbent, but I think that on balance over the last three years he's played his best football at 15. For mine, Cooper hasn't done enough to erase my memories of 2011, his form this year has been unimpressive, and unfortunately neither Lilo nor JOC (James O'Connor) are playing 10, so it makes it hard to assess these two principal candidates. To'omua may yet be the one, but I think it's too early to say that.

For mine Tapuai is the best option at 12, but perhaps JOC (James O'Connor) if he isn't going to be 15. No-one is really demanding to be selected at 13 right now, which probably leaves AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) in the frame, but he's hardly set the world on fire at the Tahs this year. To me AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) should always be on the bench, because he is reliable and can cover so many positions, but you would like to think you could find a bit more class for all your run-on positions.

To add to the earlier debate about the qualities for a great 10, sure all the run, kick, pass, defend qualities are important, but the best 10's I ever played with had vision. After all, it is principally going to be at 10 where the decisions are going to be made about what we are going to do with this use of the ball, and the really good ones are able to feed everything they see before them into the mental computer, and in an instant come out with an option that 9 times out of 10 is the right one. Obviously, as you people have pointed out, he then has to be able to execute that option.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
White was injured. Mogg didn't play nearly as well last year as he did this year.

To'omua will not play 10 for the Wallabies against the Lions barring injuries to Beale, JOC (James O'Connor), Cooper and Barnes. He is a decent 10 behind a very good pack who has only really had one standout game.

And you couldn't put in Lilo as he has been playing 12 all season and barring an injury to To'omua you would imagine that will continue.
How come LILO is the one player in Australia not allowed to be considered out of (his present playing) position at 10?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
How come LILO is the one player in Australia not allowed to be considered out of (his present playing) position at 10?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I don't think anybody really knows. Outside of Lilo and Taps though I don't think there's another #12 playing in Australia right now who is even possibly up to international level. He's also taken to the #12 jersey like a fish to water so I wouldn't want to see him moved now for both of those reasons.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I don't think anybody really knows. Outside of Lilo and Taps though I don't think there's another #12 playing in Australia right now who is even possibly up to international level. He's also taken to the #12 jersey like a fish to water so I wouldn't want to see him moved now for both of those reasons.
so if he's playing well by parity of reasoning, with every other back who shows any form, he should be considered to play 10

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
so if he's playing well by parity of reasoning, with every other back who shows any form, he should be considered to play 10

Then if Taps were to go down at any point during the 3 game series we would either have to move Lilo in and disrupt the entire back-line or put a player in who isn't up to international standard, in a Lions test match. There's way more to constructing a test team, especially for a series, than just putting the best players on the field.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Then if Taps were to go down at any point during the 3 game series we would either have to move Lilo in and disrupt the entire back-line or put a player in who isn't up to international standard, in a Lions test match. There's way more to constructing a test team, especially for a series, than just putting the best players on the field.
Not at 10 - you just pick the best back and put him there irrespective of recent experience: havent you been reading this thread?

Reactions: BPC

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
That is right, I'd be happy with either of them at 12 - the only reason Id start with Taps is Lilo can play 10 & 12 and it would be great having that option on the bench. I cant split them for the starting 12.

Richo

John Thornett (49)

It's not about "allowed," but that he hasn't played there for the Wallabies already. JOC (James O'Connor), Barnes, Cooper and Kurtley all have.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member

He's allowed to be considered, but it comes back to what Richo says. Out of position + debutant = no spot at 10 against the Lions. You could probably have one or the other, but certainly not both.

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
So with Barnes not being as injured as we thought, and with Cheika pointing towards him being the Waratahs 12, might we see him return to the G&G in the 12 jersey? Last time we saw him there (2009-11), he and Gits were the two best 12s in Australia, kept the 10-12 channel closed and were threats in attack by running, kicking or passing.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
So with Barnes not being as injured as we thought, and with Cheika pointing towards him being the Waratahs 12, might we see him return to the G&G in the 12 jersey? Last time we saw him there (2009-11), he and Gits were the two best 12s in Australia, kept the 10-12 channel closed and were threats in attack by running, kicking or passing.

I still think he's most likely to play 15 for the Wallabies against the Lions. I think Mogg is definitely playing for a spot in the 23 if he continues this form but I'll be surprised if he is 15 for the first Lions test.

I think Tapuai is the clear front runner for the 12 jersey based on his EOYT and Lealiifano will be second in line based on the Brumbies 2013 season. Really the only thing keeping Lealiifano behind is the fact that he is uncapped whereas Tapuai is effectively the incumbent.

Merrow

Arch Winning (36)
Sick of hearing the word incumbent when it comes to picking the Wallabies team for the Lions. Palu and Kepu among other out of form players are the incumbents, and there's no way they should be picked for the Wallabies this year. Surely form has to come into it somewhere. Not having a dig at you Braveheart, at least Taps is playing reasonably well.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Form is temporary, class is permanent. Remember Adam Wallace-Harrison, the guy people were clamouring to get into the Wallabies late last year? How has he been doing lately?

It's week 5, and already we are throwing out players who are proven to be classy players at the top level. I don't think Kepu falls into this pool, but in my opinion Palu does. Blokes on the blog today were calling for Scott Sio to play against the Lions! For christ sake let's all take a deep breath here.

I don't believe we should unquestionably select guys like Palu, Barnes, Higgers and Slipper, but they certainly shouldn't be tossed in the bin by week 5 when they play a few quiet games (far from Schatz-esque shockers).

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
That is why I said he doesn't fall in that pool. He has had some good performances at International level, and has been generally solid. I disagree with the fact that he is a penalty magnet and lazy, unless you can produce some sort of stats to back that up.

Status
Not open for further replies.