• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallabies Watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pete King

Phil Hardcastle (33)
S
The pecking order as i see it currently

1. Ben Alexander / Robinson / Cowan
2. Stephen Moore / TPN / Fainga'a / Hansen
3. Alexandar / Slipper / Palmer
4. Hugh McMeniman / Douglas / Timani
5. James Horwill / Scott Fardy / Simmons / Carter
6. Ben Mowen / Higgers / Kimlin / Cotrell / McCalman / Dennis
7. Liam Gill / Hooper / Alcock / Smith
8. Palu / Auelua / Mowen
9. Genia / White / Phipps
10. Lilo / To'omua / Beale / Cooper
11. Ioane / Tomane / Mafi
12. Tapuai / Lilo
13. McCabe / Fainga'a / AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
14. O'Connor / HB / Speight
15. Beale / Mogg / O'Connor

My 22 at the moment

1. Alexander
2. Moore
3. Slipper
4. McMenimun
5. Horwill
6. Mowen
7. Gill
8. Palu
9. Genia
10. Lilo
11. Ioane
12. Taps
13. McCabe/ANT
14. O'Connor
15. Beale
16.TPN
17.Robinson
18.Palmer
19.Douglas
20.Hooper
21.Fotu
22.White
23.AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)

The lock pairing of MMM/Horwill could be epic. If I was going for a 5/3 split id leave out Fotu and Douglas and pick Peter Kimlin. He's in sensational form, he's big but mobile and can cover lock and backrow.
Smith fourth in pecking order behind alcock, hes having a laugh

Pete King

Phil Hardcastle (33)
what happened to the ascendant Quirk? 1 game from McMeniman in 10 years and the guys international career is over.
People say I'm a hard marker:rolleyes:
Hahha I have always rated MMM and believe the 1 game in 10 years is a bit rough. As I said if I was picking the team at the moment, havent seen enough of quirk. 4 games in and after being pretty quiet against the brumbies

P

Paradox

I know Goerge Smith is still finding form again at this level (so he may not have hit top form yet) but no way he has been as good as Gill has. Smith was pretty good against the sharks but didn't stand out particularly. Gill has been, pretty clearly, the Reds' best player for three or four weeks running.

Did you watch the Tah / Brumbies game? Smith was immense and he was the best 7 last week. His stats justify that opinion and he was selected in the team of the week from the SMH by Paul Cully. Round 1 went to Pocock as well. I haven't seen the Brumbies game this week to comment on Smith but Gill had a very good 40 mins against the Force. Was quiet second half and ultimately the Force won the breakdown battle - Gill was a lone ranger for the Reds. He needs more support.

Gill has been, pretty clearly, the Reds' best player for three or four weeks running.

That's a relative measure ;)

P

Paradox

Can the Wallabies carry both Palu and Auelua in the 22 (40 mins of Palu then 40 mins of Fotu sounds nasty)?

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Can we seriously stop picking a Wallabies team on reputation or what you think it will be. This thread was for discussion on the form Aus players so far from only Super Rugby 2013. That's not George Smith.

BDA

Jim Lenehan (48)
people on this board should be realistic. Smith is technically not eligible to play for the Wallabies this year. I could see him playing if we really needed him, but we have two world class no.7s that have been in the wallabies set up the last 24 months, both are great options. Smith's form has been good over the last two games, but not so good that he should leapfrog two younger, hungrier players.

I underline the word hungry because Goerge Smith decided he'd rather go overseas than play in the world cup.

In terms of the Stats, well im not sure about that. the Fox sport Fantasy Rugby stats show Gill has the second best stats out of all backrowers in the comp. Goerge Smith's stats arent yet that impressive, he's simply playing with a much more impressive side atm.

P

Paradox

I underline the word hungry because Goerge Smith decided he'd rather go overseas than play in the world cup.

To suggest he's not hungry after 100+ test for Wallabies is crazy talk o_O. Deans squeezed him out and he tried to do the same to Sharpe - Deans ended crawling back on his knees to Sharpie. Smith is damn hungry. He's back playing for the Brumbies and earning bugger all. That's the very measure of hunger to play.

In terms of the Stats, well im not sure about that. the Fox sport Fantasy Rugby stats show Gill has the second best stats out of all backrowers in the comp

Not for last week, Smith made more tackles and more turnovers in less minutes. Smith only has one week of stats for super rugby posted on the fantasy site. You suggested he isn't hitting form which is not the case.

Pocock also outplayed Gill in round 1. He broke the Reds with his turnovers in the second half. Gill is carrying the Reds pack at the moment so in fairness it's hard to compare.

Smith is not eligible for the Wallabies at this stage so I would pick Gill at 7 for Australia. In no way am I trying to suggest Gill has not been excellent but it would be great for the Wallabies to have Smith's experience and the ARU should push hard to sign him up for the series against the Lions. Let's hope Gill, as a rookie, can do what Smith did in 2001.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Only when he can goal kick

I don't know where it can be found in the laws of the game that a 10 has to be the goalkicker. Lots of teams over the years have had someone in another position take the kicks for goal. Why, both Larkham and Ella, our two greatest 10's, were not regular goalkickers.

If a 10 can control a game well, put his players into space, defend, run and loop well then he can place kick like Gill left footed for all I care.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
I don't know where it can be found in the laws of the game that a 10 has to be the goalkicker. Lots of teams over the years have had someone in another position take the kicks for goal.

I still yearn for the days that a Pig kicks again a la Eales.

Sir Arthur Higgins

Dick Tooth (41)
On form i choose:
Alexander
Moore
Palmer
Douglas
Pyle/Fardy
Higgers
Gill
Mowen
Genia
JOC (James O'Connor)
Diggers
Lealifano
AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
Tomane
Mogg

Robinson
Slipper
TPN
MMM
Aluea
White
Beale - he needs to focus on staying healthy. l
Tapuai/Inman/Cummins. tough call for me between these three. cummins would get it for a bit more diversity.

BDA

Jim Lenehan (48)
To suggest he's not hungry after 100+ test for Wallabies is crazy talk o_O. Deans squeezed him out and he tried to do the same to Sharpe - Deans ended crawling back on his knees to Sharpie. Smith is damn hungry. He's back playing for the Brumbies and earning bugger all. That's the very measure of hunger to play.

Why does the fact that someone has played a lot of test for Australia mean they are hungry?! Smith was certainly hungry at one point. As soon as he was made to sit on the bench behind pocock he called it a day. I'm not having a go at Smith. He's a legend. But if his primary goal is to play for the Wallabies he should be playing rugby full time in Australia.

The Lions tour represents a great opportunity for a player like Gill or Hooper to announce themsleves on the world stage (much like Smith did many years ago). These are the guys that are going to be taking the Wallabies to the next world cup not Smith. Smith has been there, done that, and I'm sure he'd probably admit he doesn't have the desire that he once did. I agree that having Smith in our squad would be a plus, I'd just hate to see Hooper/Gill move to the bench for him. If anything I'd like to see it the other way around [/quote]

Pete King

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Can we seriously stop picking a Wallabies team on reputation or what you think it will be. This thread was for discussion on the form Aus players so far from only Super Rugby 2013. That's not George Smith.
I believe in the 160 minutes of rugby I've seen of smith watching closely (a former open side) that he has shown he as good as he has ever been if not a bit fitter. For me that trumps hooper and Gill.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
On form, you'd be hard pushed to name other then the Ponies and a couple of invited guests.

While you are doing that, then perhaps you should also select similar for the Team Management.

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
No it's not that he has to kick, if he went to 10 he's pushing out a goalkicker.

That's a complicated one. It depends on how you see our players. I reckon we should use Lealiifano as a 12. I reckon O'Connor and Beale should stay as outside backs. We would probably play Quade at 10 the moment and he isn't what I would call a reliable goalkicker. We played Beale at 10 last year and he isn't that flash either. Barnes played 10 a couple of times against Wales and he kicks well but he doesn't offer all that much else.

So what if we had Godwin as a 10. The our list of goal-kickers could be 1) James O'Connor 2) Christian Lealiifano 3) Kurtley Beale. You could also use the likes of Nic White as a kicker off the bench (assuming Genia starts). You might have Barnes on the bench too.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I was talking about Godwin at 10 for the Force, he can't go there and push Ebersohn out of the 15 because then you don't have a goal kicker.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Respecting the thread title:
Gill is the form 7 of the Aust in the Super rugby (that's super rugby)
Smith can lay claims to being one of the best 7's in international rugby.

A week and a half with a team, playing 70 minutes and landing the SMH 7 of the round suggests he is still up there.
Last night he played the full 80 against an unbeaten team and caused trouble for the opposition in and around the ruck.

He leaves Gill for dead with ball in hand and versatility.

I can't wait to see Smith v Gill - I think smith with give him a lesson, a lesson that will be valuable for years to come.

Smith will bring more to the Wallabies than Deans does, and for that reason I'd like to see him starting, but I think the squad would benefit from his experience and composure and that shouldn't be over looked.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Another big game from Paddy Ryan this week. The number 3 jersey looks to be a battle between Palmer and Alexander (knowing Robbie), but if Paddy keeps this form up he could really push for a bench spot.

Status
Not open for further replies.