• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallabies Watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
If Barnes has to be in the team, I think I would rather him at 10 than 15. If he plays fullback we will have no counter attack and that is where the most space lies in test rugby. Put Cooper at 15 and have him provide space for his wingers as well as be the wide playmaker.

JOC (James O'Connor) can be on the bench - he can replace Barnes or Cooper depending if we need to chase the game or shut it down. Other option for him to start at 14 with Folau on the bench.

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
JOC (James O'Connor) can be on the bench - he can replace Barnes or Cooper depending if we need to chase the game or shut it down. Other option for him to start at 14 with Folau on the bench.

His running has been great this year, in fact the only thing he doesn't do better than 2010 is goal kicking. I would love to see him on the wing.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
After pulling my hair out watching the Reds v Cheetas I've come here to post that although Rob Simmons has been playing better latley, I'd still have Pyle in the team over him.

Robinson
Moore
Slipper
Horwill
Pyle
Mowen
Gill/Hooper
Higgers/Palu

Genia
Cooper
Ioane
Horne
AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
Folau
JOC (James O'Connor)

My final decision after this much super rugby. There is a case for MMM but he hasn't played enough games.

Also I think you can only have 1 of Higgers, Palu or S.Timani in the 22.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
I don't think I'd have Cooper at 15, he is not good enough under the high ball. I would play Cooper at 10 and have him defend in the line. He defended in the line vs the Cheetahs last night, and apart from one slip which unfortunately was complicit in a Cheetahs' try, he defended well.

If your blindside can run the lineout, then a Horwill / Douglas second row might be fine.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Higgers, Mowen and Dennis all have the capacity to run the lineout. Higgers would be my starter at blindside if not at 8.
I would be very tempted to throw Timani in the 2nd row with Horwill. If not then Douglas.
Our set piece needs to be spot on with our starting pack.

T

Train Without a Station

I think Higgers at 6, Mowen at 8 with a Douglas & Horwill second row is a good option. If Palu is in, I'd bring Simmons in for Douglas.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Nic White hasn't even got a Test cap yet I think? If Genia goes down 10 mins into a Test whould you prefer an experienced Burgess or Nic White?

QWERTY this is a point that you just cannot or will not understand. Burgess has not played a single minute of Rugby in Australia. The ARU may well be within the letter of the rules regarding his eligibility but they totally sidestep the whole point of the rule existing in the first place. I can see players in the future doing what Burgess, Elsom and Vickerman have done, sign for two years leading into a RWC or Lions series and then head OS again, leaving those who have actually stayed and supported Rugby in Australia hanging. I know you have no problem with this as they have kept the letter of their rule. The fact remains however they compromise the whole integrity of the system.

To answer your question on a purely playing front as if he had been playing in Australia, I would have Nic White before Burgess in any event. Burgess is a great defender, but over many years at the Tahs showed his pass was below average and his kicking game also well below average. I would take Lucas over Burgess and yes perhaps even Phipps.

Pfitzy

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Pfitzy

Please name another Wallabies eligible hooker that isn't James Hanson to back up Moore

Fuck that. Chibba was actually the bloke I wanted!

Nathan Charles* is better than AFinger but he's busted. Tessman has chops but not good enough all around at this point. Ulugia no. Siliva no. Holmes fuck no. If only Fitzpatrick at the Tahs wasn't so accident prone... He's good too.

*anyone who decides the best sport to kick cystic fibrosis in the cags is top level rugby has already won. "Oh, Kieran Perkins was an asthmatic swimmer? My man Nathan here has the lung capacity of a day old kitten due to CF - nah he breathes through his enormous genitals. Balls the size of a sperm whale, don't y'know..."

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
Great humour Pfitzy, but Charles was pretty woeful for the Force before he was injured.

Hanson is clearly the 3rd best rake in Australia skills wise. Saia's strength has been his enthusiasm at the contest, but that doesn't cut it at test level.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
His breakdown work and lawnmower tackles will help immensely with securing some turnovers. I'm nervous about the scrum with SFinger on though.

Pfitzy

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Scrum, lineout, stupid play, and a light weight, if mobile, considering the opposition upcoming. It's a complete package.

Shame as both Fingers were doing quite well there for a while. Maybe they're better when playing together. Combining their superpowers into one demi god with a more sensible haircut

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I don't think I'd have Cooper at 15, he is not good enough under the high ball. I would play Cooper at 10 and have him defend in the line. He defended in the line vs the Cheetahs last night, and apart from one slip which unfortunately was complicit in a Cheetahs' try, he defended well.

Rugby Stats had Cooper attempting 12, making 7 (58%), ineffective2 (17%) and missing 3 (25%)

http://www.rugbystats.com.au/matches/rugby/match21312.html

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Not sure what that video really proves. You left out a few of his nicer touches too, including an offload on about halfway during the first half that put Betham (I think) away. For only 60 minutes played his stats in both attack and defence were decent, and I whilst you say he only had one run ‘over the advantage line’ he was never driven back. It’s the Stormers, so that is against the best defensive unit in the comp.

I’d agree it wasn’t Cliff’s best outing though. He bounced back last weekend- lead the Tahs in runs and offloads, and was 2nd in tackles and rucks hit.

Status
Not open for further replies.