• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallabies Watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
O'Connor has been mediocre lately, missing easy shots that, if landed, would have won his team the game.
Lilo would be okay, but he lacks range (aka, 35m+ back and he won't make it) and may well crack under pressure.

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
So him landing shots from 40m on a regular basis totally went over your head eh Qwerty?

Incidentally, what are the kicking percentages for everyone this year?

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
Here's a theoretical - The penalty that Eales landed in Wellington to win the Bledisloe, would you have preferred he called for a scrum and went for the try? That's the vibe I'm getting from all the Barnes and O'Connor nay-sayers.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
So him landing shots from 40m on a regular basis totally went over your head eh Qwerty?

Incidentally, what are the kicking percentages for everyone this year?

White usually takes the long range one at the Brumbies does he not? I don't know about specifics but I don't think his range is even 40m, plus even if it was I'd want someone who had at least 45-50m range. Barnes has this. You can be sure Sexton and Farrell will be knocking down 40-50m ones.

I tried to find the %s but no luck, would love to see them as well.

The Rant

Fred Wood (13)
Simmons is probably the third-choice lock for the Wallabies atm, if he isn't in the XV expect him in the 23.

I put him on my bench after really thinking about it a lot.

Other options as I see them:
Sharpie - he's gonna be there anyway he might as well have some studs on
MMM - I'll take him if he comes back fit
Pyle - Is he just a try scoring machine? I don't know
Luke Jones - A dark horse but wow the guy is a machine. I like him a lot, maybe a future 6.
Timani - Doesn't jump so I don't pick him. Set piece is gonna be key.
Neville - can't make his own team
Kimlin - actually wouldn't be upset to see him in the squad. Not my choice, but he's been there before and he's in good form.
Fardy/Carter - nup
Skelton - to be honest I didn't know his name until the weekend. But fk me that boy has potential. World cup potential.

BDA

Jim Lenehan (48)
Quade is surely the most polarising rugby player of the modern era.

Whilst I have been critical of him over the last few years (deservedly so) and think O'Connor would do a decent job for us if needed, at this present time all signs point to Cooper being the best option for the Lions Series.

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
Sharpie - he's gonna be there anyway he might as well have some studs on
Pyle - Is he just a try scoring machine? I don't know
Timani - Doesn't jump so I don't pick him. Set piece is gonna be key.
Kimlin - actually wouldn't be upset to see him in the squad. Not my choice, but he's been there before and he's in good form.
Fardy/Carter - nup

Sharpe is officially retired - I think you have to go 18 months after that statement to play again.
Pyle and Higgenbotham are the basis on which most Rebels success is built - he is great
Timani is jumping, must be because Cheika doesn't accept "I don't jump" as an excuse. Jumping well too.
Kimlin is a bit weak at lock, doesn't stand out too much at super level but will against the Lions.
Carter is a future Wallaby, he and Douglas will be there for a while. Just you watch.

lewisr

Bill McLean (32)
O'Connor is not a 'very good' goal kicker. He has been missing quite a bit for the Rebels. Lealiifano doesn't have range.

You're justifying Barnes' inclusion in the team solely off of his goal kicking ability (which is not at Johnny Wilkinson level anyway). We have hardly seen any of him this year, why not wait and see how he goes next weekend (coming off the bench for the tahs, they obviously value foley more or the combinations already established more - both of which support an argument that cooper should be the flyhalf). He kicked two goals last week, let's not get ahead of ourselves here and say he is in the best kicking form. Quade has been kicking alright and would do the job fine.

Edit: I also think that JOC (James O'Connor)/ Lilo are fine as possibilities for the role.

Swat

Chilla Wilson (44)
Here's a theoretical - The penalty that Eales landed in Wellington to win the Bledisloe, would you have preferred he called for a scrum and went for the try? That's the vibe I'm getting from all the Barnes and O'Connor nay-sayers.

The Barnes nay-sayers are talking about his kicking in general play and while O'Connor's place kicking isn't that good at the moment I don't think anyone here is a JOC (James O'Connor) nay-sayer (unless it's towards his haircuts or abuse of social media). We all know he has big match temperament and he has won us matches with kicks harder than Eales.

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
JOC (James O'Connor) (Bold = lost by 7 or less)
Round 1: 6/6
Round 2: 3/3
Round 3: 6/7
Round 4: 3/6
Round 6: 1/1
Round 7: 4/4
Round 8: 4/7
Round 9: 5/6
Round 11: 4/7
Round 12: 4/5
Round 13: 0/3

Total: 40/55 or just over 70%

But notice how of the 15 times he has missed, 11 were in games where the Rebels lost by 7 or less.

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
The Barnes nay-sayers are talking about his kicking in general play and while O'Connor's place kicking isn't that good at the moment I don't think anyone here is a JOC (James O'Connor) nay-sayer (unless it's towards his haircuts or abuse of social media). We all know he has big match temperament and he has won us matches with kicks harder than Eales.
But that's the thing - Barnes has shown he doesn't just make stupid kicks on the international level, you're more likely to see it from Harris or Beale (or anyone who remembers the good old George Smith grubbers). In fact everything he does seems to come from a team plan - be that from Robbie or one that the team came up with during the captain's run.
I really really suggest (for everyone) re-watching the Wales games, the French game and the English game from last year and just watch how much of a positive impact he makes on the whole team.

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
FAO everyone, THIS is why I do not rate Barnes as anything more than an average Super rugby player at 10.

In this clip, Barnes takes either a shit option, executes a good option poorly, or just aimlessly kicks away good ball at:

10 seconds, 15 seconds, 42 seconds, 2:20.

In this one:

@

1:11, 1:48, 2:02, 3:18

In this one:

@

1:00 (Beale isn't too deep, a simple floating pass would've landed on Beale's chest right on halfway)

And for some great Barnes-tactical kicking:

Not going to bother listing them all, it would look like some kind of computer code and be just as long.

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
But that's the thing - Barnes has shown he doesn't just make stupid kicks on the international level, you're more likely to see it from Harris or Beale (or anyone who remembers the good old George Smith grubbers). In fact everything he does seems to come from a team plan - be that from Robbie or one that the team came up with during the captain's run.
I really really suggest (for everyone) re-watching the Wales games, the French game and the English game from last year and just watch how much of a positive impact he makes on the whole team.

I think I just inhaled half of my delicious Weissbierre!

You are kidding me, right? You think Barnes doesn't make stupid kicks at international level? o_O

RE Smith's grubbers: He's the only Wallaby in the last decade who's grubbers actually paid off!

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
@10 seconds, 15 seconds, 42 seconds, 2:20.

Twice, not the only culprit, both from within the 22, both after spreading the ball wide - Team plan.
I'll give you 42, it was a shocker.
Large guy right in his face, pass has to be quick while still bracing for impact.
@1:11, 1:48, 2:02, 3:18

McCabe running in and calling for the ball, same thing repeated throughout the game, lead to a winning try. Team plan.
Horne was the one who wasn't wide, terrible support from the forwards
Turned inside again - team plan
Barnes runs at speed, breaking the line and the outside backs don't keep up - his fault somehow?
@1:00 (Beale isn't too deep, a simple floating pass would've landed on Beale's chest right on halfway)

Beale was a good 20m back and 30m to the right - A good 10 can pass 30m in 2s, Beale would take 3 to get there, so it either goes out on the foul or is a gift intercept - OR he realises he is the last man in the line and does his job (run the damn ball)
And for some great Barnes-tactical kicking

The short kicks are repeated when inside the 22 on defence - team plan.
Crossfield kick was bad, give you that one
Everyone is kicking the ball? Team plan.

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
You are kidding me, right? You think Barnes doesn't make stupid kicks at international level? o_O
I think that the games with bad kicks have them all occurring in the same field position or attacking situation and are executed by whatever back has the ball in that scenario - it was clearly part of the team plan.

Then you have the times where the plan obviously isn't to kick and he doesn't, or when he does they are good kicks.

Edit: Deans doesn't make all the plans, pretty sure the team comes up with a few of them.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Like I said he's not playing Test matches where the pressure of the occasion and the pressure that will be amounted on him is greatly intensified in a Lions series. There have been less charge downs and intercepts lately I will agree on that. He still loves kicking that ball out on the full doesn't he?

1. So what if Genia wants him there, you don't think there's a little bias there since Quade is his mate. Genia shouldn't and won't get a say. Combinations are not everything, last year the AB backline had the 9, 10, 12 and 13 from all different franchises.
2. JOC (James O'Connor) has been playing 10 for the Rebels the last couple games and did an alright job last time he played 10 for the Wallabies against Wales.
3. I don't factor those things, defence + positional play. Not big issues for me.

I don't think we should pick Genia either then. He has kicked out on the full more than Cooper this year.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
I think that the games with bad kicks have them all occurring in the same field position or attacking situation and are executed by whatever back has the ball in that scenario - it was clearly part of the team plan.

Then you have the times where the plan obviously isn't to kick and he doesn't, or when he does they are good kicks.

Edit: Deans doesn't make all the plans, pretty sure the team comes up with a few of them.

A bit of reality is needed. Barnes often kicks when the team is in a good position to attack and has the numbers. I guarantee that isn't always part of the 'team plan' and more likely that Barnes doesn't always have the vision or is a kick first player.

Status
Not open for further replies.