• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallabies Watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
The problem is what if Folau is non committal until Deans picks his squad? I just hope Deans has a 1 on 1 with him and gets the truth from him and feels the same way about the value of the jersey. I doubt he does though, he would only care about picking the best players to do the job done.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
How is it that other players are required to demonstrate their ability/attributes at super rugby level, but people are happy to sit back and say "folau will kick at test level if needed"..
I.e. Quade defending at 10. Great article about this on FoxSports. Link has said if he made Quade wear a 15 on his back nothing would change except the number on his back. He would be just a fullback that slides into 1st reviewer on attack. It's all about perception.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/rugby/s...ity/story-e6frf4qu-1226641666641#.UZIYMfoayc0

EDIT: FoxSports not Courier Mail

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I really don't think the Quade detractors care that much about his positional play and/or defence, for me it's all about his Test match temperament that is in question. His defence has improved but it was never that much of an issue at Test level - it's the mistakes.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
If they don't care about it that much they surely mention it a lot. You're one of the few that take issue with his "temperament". Go back and read the many arguments in this thread alone and 90%+ will be about him not defending in the line.
That's been my impression anyway.

lewisr

Bill McLean (32)
You can tell that Ewen is one pissed off bloke at the moment... I'd say a majority of us are feeling the same way

Lyall

Herbert Moran (7)
Could we have a poll on the fly half candidates for Lions series, and if so, is it possible to have it 'open' shop?

Some talk of the referee (best/worst/most likely) could be interesting too............

jay-c

Ron Walden (29)
id have to say that its quades 'temperament' that ive seen the most improvement in since the logistics camp omission>
hes just not making mistakes recently> there is considerably less flash> but im not seeing any of what people would traditionally label 'typical quade errors'

Reactions: BDA

lewisr

Bill McLean (32)
Could we have a poll on the fly half candidates for Lions series, and if so, is it possible to have it 'open' shop?

Some talk of the referee (best/worst/most likely) could be interesting too....

Personally a Steve Walsh fan. Has anyone else heard the story behind his departure from the NZRU and rehiring at the ARU ;)

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
id have to say that its quades 'temperament' that ive seen the most improvement in since the logistics camp omission>
hes just not making mistakes recently> there is considerably less flash> but im not seeing any of what people would traditionally label 'typical quade errors'

Well he hasn't played a Test match so you'll never know. The telling factor for me was the Argentina Test on the GC, that nearly a year after the WC and yet he hadn't changed the way he played at all. Same costly errors. I don't know why you'd trust him again.

jay-c

Ron Walden (29)
have you not seen any difference in his performances the last month or so?
would you agree there is less mistakes?
id trust him again for a few reasons
1-genia wants him there and against a newly formed team, combinations are everything
2- our other options arnt even playing 10 for their provinces and game management is suspect with them
3- he has shown necessary improvement in the areas people who are against him continually point out

lewisr

Bill McLean (32)
Stirling Mortlock - massive fan of JOC (James O'Connor) - has also thrown his support behind QC (Quade Cooper).

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Like I said he's not playing Test matches where the pressure of the occasion and the pressure that will be amounted on him is greatly intensified in a Lions series. There have been less charge downs and intercepts lately I will agree on that. He still loves kicking that ball out on the full doesn't he?

1. So what if Genia wants him there, you don't think there's a little bias there since Quade is his mate. Genia shouldn't and won't get a say. Combinations are not everything, last year the AB backline had the 9, 10, 12 and 13 from all different franchises.
2. JOC (James O'Connor) has been playing 10 for the Rebels the last couple games and did an alright job last time he played 10 for the Wallabies against Wales.
3. I don't factor those things, defence + positional play. Not big issues for me.

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
I'm honestly all for the pick your plan, then your team approach. If the plan is to go for tries above all else and being able to attack from anywhere, then Cooper is the choice 10. If our plan is to suffocate the opposition and force penalties from them, then Barnes is the choice 10. If it's some kind of intermediate, then JOC (James O'Connor) is the choice 10.

There are some players who you would choose no matter the plan at the moment (Robinson, Douglas, Horwill, Genia, Ioane, Lealiifano, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)) but everywhere else is dependent on the plan - and that's not an awful thing so long as we can adapt when the opposition does.

lewisr

Bill McLean (32)
3. I don't factor those things, defence + positional play. Not big issues for me.
How can you not factor them in? They are part of the 'key mistakes' Quade has made in the past and he has been criticized for it on numerous occasions. With the Lions and their enormous centres, defence will be extremely important. Rating a player entirely on what he has done in the past is extremely naive.

If we didn't give people second chances, players like George Gregan wouldn't have become the Rugby legend he is today. The same goes for Chris Latham. both players experienced hurdles in their early years and were out of sorts with selectors but eventually showed that they were true legends of the game. How do you expect Quade to prove his recent form without giving him a shot?

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Well I have seen his defence improve a bit but it's never been that big of a deal at Test level when he was paired with a dominant tackler at 12. Plus we have fantastic 7s who usually cover him pretty well. If we went back to 2010 when we had a playmaker at 12 (Giteau or Barnes) his defence was exploited often.

lewisr

Bill McLean (32)
I only see it as another benefit to add to his cause for the 10 jumper. Both his attack and defence are ahead of JOC (James O'Connor) at the moment. Barnes is yet to show whether he has regained his title as the best tackler in the world (seemed to drop off after the head knocks) but it appears he will be starting on the bench again this weekend...

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
Pointless kicking? They were up against a brick wall, running the ball was going nowhere. Barnes played well when he came on and showed he's still the best goal kicker (Mike Harris excluded) in Australia. That's a big factor in a Lions series. Goal kicking.

Barnes is the best goalkicker in Australia?

Since when?

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
Well I have seen his defence improve a bit but it's never been that big of a deal at Test level when he was paired with a dominant tackler defender at 12. Plus we have fantastic 7s who usually cover him pretty well.
Added benefit of Lealiifano or Horne at 12 - the tackles will stick and the 10-12 channel won't be open due to players out of position.

Status
Not open for further replies.