• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallabies Watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

BDA

Jim Lenehan (48)
Given that the Lions will be putting a lot of bombs up to our fullback, surely it makes sense to put izzy back there

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Given that the Lions will be putting a lot of bombs up to our fullback, surely it makes sense to put izzy back there

Only if he has signed for next season, if he hasn't then nup, he can play for Uni during the break.

I don't want to see a unit become a Wob after so few games and then turning out for the Bulldogs next year over someone with runs on the board or a rookie with a future.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Izzy is great under the high ball but will be able to deal with what happens after he catches it? Kicking under pressure, beating that first one or two kick chasers, staying on his feet until support arrive etc. I have no idea what the answers to those questions are, just putting them out there.

Being tackled and trying to stay on your feet is one thing but if you go to ground, releasing the ball and getting straight back to your feet to play it again is a very Rugby specific skill that wouldn't come naturally to him. Not saying he wouldn't be able to pick it up quickly though - he's a remarkable athelete!

terry j

Ron Walden (29)
He should be in the 22, and Deans should wait to see how the game unfolds, before putting him on

the trouble with your theory is that it implies deans is proactive with his subs. That he notes how the game is going and makes tactical substitutions.

For mine one of his most frustrating habits is the lack of subbing when the game clearly requires it.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
the trouble with your theory is that it implies deans is proactive with his subs. That he notes how the game is going and makes tactical substitutions.

For mine one of his most frustrating habits is the lack of subbing when the game clearly requires it.

There was a clear shift last year to using subs earlier and more frequently. I think a massive change happened after the 2011 RWC in this regard.

BDA

Jim Lenehan (48)
Izzy is great under the high ball but will be able to deal with what happens after he catches it?

Scoey I really think the answer is a simple yes.

Izzy clearly has big match temperament. Apart from his first game this year (against the Reds) he has looked so cool as a cucumber. His nonchalant approach on the footy field is indicative of a man that has literally been there and done it at the very highest level of rugby league. Anyone who's been to a State of Origin match know that crowds don't get any more intense (yes even a Lions tour).

People on this site that are pitching Izzy as some straight-outa-college rookie are horribly misguided.

As to whether he'll make a mistake or two at the back? probably but whoever we put back there will likely make a mistake at some point that will hurt us. That's the nature of test rugby for fuck sake. I expect halfpenny to make a few errors too. If nothing else Folau seems the least likely to knock on a high ball 5 metres from our line.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Yeah fair enough BDA I probably agree with all of that. I have less of an opinion on Folau now than I did a few weeks ago. I was initially very staunch in my view that he shouldn't play, now I'm wavering. I'd still like to see him commit to next season before he gets selected though.

I haven't seen tons of him though but from what I have I think my main concern would be the ease with which he gets put to ground once he's tackled and the way he has flicked the ball out once he is tackled and on the ground and isolated. That could be bad news. But like you say, whoever we pick back there will likely make a mistake or two - do his very clear skills make up for these 'perceived' issues of mine? Dunno?

Ignoto

Greg Davis (50)
Only if he has signed for next season, if he hasn't then nup, he can play for Uni during the break.

I don't want to see a unit become a Wob after so few games and then turning out for the Bulldogs next year over someone with runs on the board or a rookie with a future.

To play devil's advocate here, should Digby not be considered available to play next year? After all he's leaving Australian rugby.

I do on the other hand personally agree with you as all I can see is Tahu donning the gold jersey.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
People on this site that are pitching Izzy as some straight-outa-college rookie are horribly misguided.

In rugby terms, especially Test match rugby terms, that is exactly what he is.

He has played a few games of rugby. He has not played a single minute of Test match rugby, even against one of the minnows. We are talking about throwing him straight into a once in 12 years event, in a position the technicalities of which he is still learning.

He has done very well so far (and I have consistently acknowledged that he is a brilliant footballer, who deserves to be selected, whether or not he commits for the long term) but he is still a rookie when it comes to the task facing him if he starts his first rugby test against a Lions team.

Anybody who thinks otherwise is misguided.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
To play devil's advocate here, should Digby not be considered available to play next year? After all he's leaving Australian rugby.

I do on the other hand personally agree with you as all I can see is Tahu donning the gold jersey.

I don't see them as the same, Folau has rolled in from other pro sport and may roll out at the end of the year. Digby has been playing for years, and playing well

Tahu at least signed a multi year contract, he was committed to the cause (sort of) Falau hasn't shown even that commitment

To me, the Wobs jersey should be worth something; and a Wobs jersey for a Lions or RWC match even more.

If he signs and is picked fine.

If not, I can watch him at "uni 1" in June

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
I'm with you fatprop. I'd pick Folau on the wing, but if he's not sticking round we have capable wingers in Ioane and Mitchell, who have served Aus rugby and the Wallabies well over the last 7 or so seasons and deserve the jersey just as much as long as they are playing good rugby.

BDA

Jim Lenehan (48)
He has not played a single minute of Test match rugby, even against one of the minnows.

Not even against one of the minnows!?!? Damn! surely he should at least make the intimidating step up from Super Rugby to playing the likes of Japan and Romania before he steps up to a heavyweight test. its the logical progression

TSR

Andrew Slack (58)
In rugby terms, especially Test match rugby terms, that is exactly what he is.

He has played a few games of rugby. He has not played a single minute of Test match rugby, even against one of the minnows. We are talking about throwing him straight into a once in 12 years event, in a position the technicalities of which he is still learning.

He has done very well so far (and I have consistently acknowledged that he is a brilliant footballer, who deserves to be selected, whether or not he commits for the long term) but he is still a rookie when it comes to the task facing him if he starts his first rugby test against a Lions team.

Anybody who thinks otherwise is misguided.
Yes, but the point is that he is not a rookie in the way that someone like Mogg is. No selection is foolproof, but in terms of him offering proof that he can handle pressure I think his State of Origin experience is totally relevant. Or maybe I'm just misguided.

BDA

Jim Lenehan (48)
If you're looking at Mogg and Folau, neither of which have played for the Wallabies, and your trying to decide which is the safer selection, you'd surely choose Folau every day of the week. The biggest risks with rookie test players is they'll either become invisible or they crumble under the pressure.

We know what Folau does when the pressures on. He rises to the top.

Mogg is more of an unknown. I have grave concerns that he'll simply become invisible at test level. That's certainly what happened in the Crusaders game last fortnight.

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
Mogg is more of an unknown. I have a grave concerns that he'll simply become invisible at test level. That's certainly what happened in the Crusaders game last fortnight.

Remember the two Suncorp games over the last two years - deer in headlights.

TSR

Andrew Slack (58)
Yes, but to be fair I wasn't trying to shine the spotlight on Mogg as such. Personally I think there could be worse options on the bench. I was just trying to underline that Folau does have some background performing in big match pressure.

Reactions: BDA

BDA

Jim Lenehan (48)
I think Mogg is good a example to use when measuring Folau against other "rookies", particularly given that they play the same position

T

TOCC

I dont understand the rationale in advocating Israel Folau for fullback when he has demonstrated very little in terms of been able to kick..

Deans has never played a game of running the ball continually from fullback, under deans the wallabies need a fullback who is a very astute kicker..

How is it that other players are required to demonstrate their ability/attributes at super rugby level, but people are happy to sit back and say "folau will kick at test level if needed"..

Swat

Chilla Wilson (44)
I know he's not on anyone's radar for the lion's but I think Foley might be worth taking on the EOYT

Status
Not open for further replies.