• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallabies Watch

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Train Without a Station

Then you have the times where the plan obviously isn't to kick and he doesn't, or when he does they are good kicks.

Edit: Deans doesn't make all the plans, pretty sure the team comes up with a few of them.

So he's either kicking instead of looking to attack when it's not Deans plan, or part of the group making up that plan against Deans call and then choosing to execute it?

I fail to see how this is a defence of Barnes? Sounds like even more reason not to pick.

Qwerty, if you think Barnes is some Wilkinson-esque goal kicking messier, you are kidding yourself. He has decent stats, but even Harris has better stats. In addition, Harris offers pretty much just as much in attack and is as reliable in defense, is a better tactical kicker, however is not as competent under the high ball, yet Harris can't even make the Reds bench, due to better options available. Much like their is to Barnes. He's got to kick 2 and a third penalties somebody else would not to make up for every try he helps butcher.

jay-c

Ron Walden (29)
i dont have the numbers to back this up
but i think both oconner and barnes have higher kicking accuracy when playing for australia>
i just dont recall seeing either miss many in tests> and often remember thinking how surprisingly accurate they are in gold> especially the last 2 years

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
In thinking about Folau's prospects, it might be worth noting that Jason Robinson's first appearance for the British Lions in 2001 was his 19th game of senior rugby. However, apparently he did play rugby all his junior career before switching to loig in his late teens, so he had considerably more practical knowledge of the game than Izzy, plus he had of course played some rugby Test matches for England to earn his place in the Lions.

And he played on the wing for the 2001 Lions. He moved to full back later in his Test career.

BDA

Jim Lenehan (48)
Qwerty, if you think Barnes is some Wilkinson-esque goal kicking messier, you are kidding yourself. He has decent stats, but even Harris has better stats. In addition, Harris offers pretty much just as much in attack and is as reliable in defense, is a better tactical kicker, however is not as competent under the high ball, yet Harris can't even make the Reds bench, due to better options available. Much like their is to Barnes. He's got to kick 2 and a third penalties somebody else would not to make up for every try he helps butcher.

Not sure I'd agree with that. Whilst I'm not the Biggest Barnes fan, he has actually shown an ability to beat defenders and score tries at test level. I cant say the same about Harris

gold heart

Ted Fahey (11)
Fat pussy
mooore - as the pons pronounce it
slipper - great in the scrum and open play
Douglass - but change to MMM if fit
Kev
Higgenass
Smith
Palu
Genia
Cooper
Lilo
AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
Digby
JOC (James O'Connor)
Barnes

Alexander
Palmer
TPN
MMM - Douglass if MMM is fit
Mowen
White
Horne (my only doubt)
Izzy

For goodness sakes its really not that difficult guys, for the forwards lots of experience, plenty of power, lots of height with guys that can actually catch a ball, good defensive lineout players, mobility there in the loose. For the backs - combos that would work, goalkickers everywhere if needed, lots of experience with an exciting new guy (lets face it sheepman will not go for more than one debutant in the backs), a back three that can return the ball with interest and guess what ..... except for Barnes and JOC (James O'Connor) (they can adapt and have played fullback and wing before).... everyone is playing in their friggin position

Your welcome Mr. Wellington boot wearer - pick this side and then just disappear please.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
The big question for me is who is going to run the lineout, I think we will need someone who isn't Horwill (he will have enough to do)

Two options for me

Simmons or Mowen as lineout captain

Both are excellent, so it comes down to "mix"

If you want more grunt then Douglas wins and Mowen starts at 6
If you want more mobility then Simmons & Higgers
If you want to target the lineout Simmons & Mowen

I

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
But we need Higginclacker's physicality and mongrel to batter the BIL bullies at the breakdown. Who'd be a selector?

Scotty

David Codey (61)
But we need Higginclacker's physicality and mongrel to batter the BIL bullies at the breakdown. Who'd be a selector?

I still see higgers as the bench weapon unless palu isn't starting.

MMM might be the ultimate in battling physicality.

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
Is Palu really so untouchable? No reason why you couldn't have Horwill and Douglas locking with Mowen at 6 and Higgers at 8, or the other way around. That's four lineout jumpers, a strong scrummaging pair of locks, the ability to disrupt mauls, grunt work in tight and ball running out wide. Three Soup Captains in the pack as well. Leadership is going to have an important role to play in this series.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
Is Palu really so untouchable? No reason why you couldn't have Horwill and Douglas locking with Mowen at 6 and Higgers at 8, or the other way around. That's four lineout jumpers, a strong scrummaging pair of locks, the ability to disrupt mauls, grunt work in tight and ball running out wide. Three Soup Captains in the pack as well. Leadership is going to have an important role to play in this series.

Yep. Palu has never produced against the top teams.

I reckon if you are preparing for an arm wrestle, you'd go with:

Horwill
Douglas
MMM
Smith
Mowen

Lacks a bit of pace in the backrow but strong in the set piece.

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
Bowside On Palu, I think there's an element of perception in that. I can't think of him having any huge games against the All Blacks but he's done very, very, well against the Home Nations before. Still, it's the whole plus/minus thing. I'd say the team balance would be better with Higgers and Mowen in the backrow, but on an individual level Palu is still the best 8 in the country. MMM is a longshot for the starting spot at 6. He's just missed too much rugby lately. Slowing down the backrow is a big risk as well. The Lions aren't going to be subtle, but they are going to be big, quick and powerful. We're going to need bodies to the rucks, and we're going to need them there quickly. MMM is a good option off the bench, I'd be happier with him starting at lock to 6 though.

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
So the Ruck twitter is hinting that the squad found out today and to expect a few players going quite on twitter for a few days.

Who will leak the info? a angry Cooper being left out, a excited JOC (James O'Connor). Or will they all behave and wait till Sunday.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Bowside On Palu, I think there's an element of perception in that. I can't think of him having any huge games against the All Blacks but he's done very, very, well against the Home Nations before. Still, it's the whole plus/minus thing. I'd say the team balance would be better with Higgers and Mowen in the backrow, but on an individual level Palu is still the best 8 in the country. MMM is a longshot for the starting spot at 6. He's just missed too much rugby lately. Slowing down the backrow is a big risk as well. The Lions aren't going to be subtle, but they are going to be big, quick and powerful. We're going to need bodies to the rucks, and we're going to need them there quickly. MMM is a good option off the bench, I'd be happier with him starting at lock to 6 though.

Palu has been excellent against the NH sides, they struggle with units like him, he will commit units to defend him while he provides go forward and provides strong defense. He will also offer stability taking the ball off the back at scrum time (he can hold off a couple of defenders on shit ball)

He will be the Wobs 8

Status
Not open for further replies.