• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallabies Watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Riptide

Dave Cowper (27)
Lydiate's selection may negate Palu. Lydiate is like a young Dusatoir; he is relentless, accurate and effective in the tackle contest.

I really hope the Wallabies play with a more coherent attacking structure because I don't think one off ball carriers aren't going to cut it against the Lions. We'll also need a strong but varied kicking game to get advance the bal beyond the gain line but the Lions back three doesn't concern me. As such I'd prefer a 12 who can also kick well. Halfpenny doesn't link with his wingers who are also mere finishers; the only real ball player among them is Bowe and he's coming back from a near season long knee injury.

lewisr

Bill McLean (32)
http://www.news.com.au/sport/rugby-...-for-lions-tests/story-fndptke0-1226642500385

http://www.theroar.com.au/2013/05/1...nd-rugby-for-the-wallabies-against-the-lions/

Two interesting articles that appear to be the complete opposite of what we are saying in this forum.
Note that the coaches team was put together a few months ago (prior to quades recent form and when shipperley was still in form) and was possibly the reason behind Deans' non selection of the flyhalf in the logistics camp. Cheika opted out.

I actually see alot of positive messages out of those articles. Hopefully Robbie lives up to his word. I agree with the Roar article when it says we need Smith in the team... As much as I think Gill or Hooper deserve the spot more, his experience and ability is simply too good to pass up, especially against the Lions.

Paddysboy

Stan Wickham (3)
Two interesting articles that appear to be the complete opposite of what we are saying in this forum.
Note that the coaches team was put together a few months ago (prior to quades recent form and when shipperley was still in form) and was possibly the reason behind Deans' non selection of the flyhalf in the logistics camp. Cheika opted out.

I actually see alot of positive messages out of those articles. Hopefully Robbie lives up to his word. I agree with the Roar article when it says we need Smith in the team. As much as I think Gill or Hooper deserve the spot more, his experience and ability is simply too good to pass up, especially against the Lions.

I read the Roar article and found it reasonable and I agree re George, though the likelihood that he will get the nod at the expense of Gill and Hooper is probably a case of good for us, though maybe not for them. Hooper seems to be playing a different style this year and it's probably easier to look at Smith v Gill. Last time out against each other I thought Gill equalled if not bettered George. However, the all around game and presence Smith brings to a team will make the decision easier for selectors I expect. In sport though, it often seems that just as we all think a position is well covered, injuries come calling and stocks thin. Hopefully not, but it does seem to go that way quite often.

As for the News Limited effort, as you say, the positive messages are encouraging to say the least. The other bits looks like another piece of mischief-making disguised as journalism. Ignoring the Izzy and QC (Quade Cooper) non-selections, take out Beale, MMM (still injured?) and the Wyatt Crockett of Australian Rugby - Ben Alexander (or should that be Al Baxter) due to form, plus of course Shipperley, who has dropped off lately. Same goes for Taps in the 'others' category. Apart from the positive messages about ball in hand running rugby, a pretty pointless piece. Then again, it's got knuckleheads like me whining about it........

I also have this odd suspicion that while Mowen is likely to be picked, he may be the sort of player who actually peaks at Super XV level and may be found wanting in Tests. I hope I'm wrong.

lewisr

Bill McLean (32)
I also have this odd suspicion that while Mowen is likely to be picked, he may be the sort of player who actually peaks at Super XV level and may be found wanting in Tests. I hope I'm wrong.
I have to say I agree with this. He is key for his team because he is such a good leader and obviously plays consistent rugby but I don't know how he will go with the step up to tests. If he gets chosen I think it is deserved but I can't see him being the impact player we need...
I suspect deans will opt for smith/ gill at 7, higgers at 6 and palu at 8 anyway so it probably wont matter.
Like I said, news limited article is relying off information that is quite old. (I would say Deans sent that out prior to the logistics camp) so its not really a fair representation of the current consensus. Although I hope its not a deliberate leak by the Deans camp to justify him leaving out cooper in the 25 man squad...

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
I have to say I agree with this. He is key for his team because he is such a good leader and obviously plays consistent rugby but I don't know how he will go with the step up to tests. If he gets chosen I think it is deserved but I can't see him being the impact player we need.
I suspect deans will opt for smith/ gill at 7, higgers at 6 and palu at 8 anyway so it probably wont matter.
Like I said, news limited article is relying off information that is quite old. (I would say Deans sent that out prior to the logistics camp) so its not really a fair representation of the current consensus. Although I hope its not a deliberate leak by the Deans camp to justify him leaving out cooper in the 25 man squad.

What we can surely say is (a) this was highly sensitive, confidential data that normally the small number of senior parties involved would feel duty bound to protect as such, and (b) it's been leaked purposefully, unlikely that it was accidentally found in an ARU garbage bin. What that purpose was or is and the email's origin is open to speculation.

(To further their own interests and to self-promote their chosen slants, the ARU has an appalling history of selective leaking to their 'tied' journos whom for years have relied on such activity for their 'stories'. This is but one of the background reasons why the incendiary 2012 ARU Annual Report that contains vast tracts of data that highlight ARU ineptitude, inexcusable general extravagance and high-level indulgence of its officers despite massive losses has barely been covered or analysed by the mainstream rugby media, leaving just a courageous and better-principled bunch of GAGR contributors to bring these glaring delinquencies to light.)

lewisr

Bill McLean (32)
(To further their own interests and to self-promote their chosen slants, the ARU has an appalling history of selective leaking to their 'tied' journos whom for years have relied on such activity for their 'stories'. This is but one of the background reasons why the incendiary 2012 ARU Annual Report that contains vast tracts of data that highlight ARU ineptitude, inexcusable general extravagance and high-level indulgence of its officers despite massive losses has barely been covered or analysed by the mainstream rugby media, leaving just a courageous and better-principled bunch of GAGR contributors to bring these glaring delinquencies to light.)

Dare I say it... But Quade's claims of toxicity come to mind. I sincerely hope Pulver has the business mind and integrity to repair the ARU in the wake of JO'N's tenure. They have a good board (the likes of Peter Cosgrove, John Eales etc.) so I hope these people can help Pulver improve the ARU which will hopefully help the Wallabies beat the bloody Kiwis!

BDA

Jim Lenehan (48)

yeh. a 2012 Dave Dennis comes to mind. His impact at Super level didn't translate to an impact at test level.

T

TOCC

Higgers was in fantastic form in 2012, that barely translated to test level as well

Pfitzy

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Here it is:

Robinson
Moore
Palmer
MMM if fit, Douglas if not
Horwill
Mowen
Hooper
Palu
Genia
Cooper
Ioane
Lilo
AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
O'Connor
Barnes

TPN
Alexander
Slipper
Douglas if MMM is fit, Pyle if not
Higginbotham
Gill
Cummins
Folau

3-nil. Bam.

southsider

Arch Winning (36)
ok heres my crack at a team...

1) Robinson
2) Moore
3) Palmer
4) Horwill
5) McMeniman
6) Higginbotham
7) Smith
8) Palu
9) Genia
10) Cooper
11) Ioane
12) Lealiifano
13) Ashley-Cooper
14) O'Connor
15) Folau

16) Polota-Nau
17) Alexander
18) Kepu
19) Timani
20) Auelua
21) Hooper
22) White
23) Horne

harder to pick than i thought!! so my general idea is to match them upfront, especially in the fowards then at some point in the second half, "unleash" our more loose running fowards and hopefully the gaps will open up against a tiring defence. Probably the biggest issue is only having the 2 backs, honestly i dont see white (or any other halfback) getting time on the field unless genia is injured or we are smashing them but unfortunatly need him there as a just incase. Having Horne covers most positions, ideally id sub him on for Lealiifano at some stage and get the tahs combo going, but Horne can also cover 13 and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) can cover the back 3 if needed. Other problem is the line-out options we lose with the foward reserves but i feel our go-foward potential as well as the try scoring potency (Alexander and Kepu know their way to the tryline!) will hopefully outweigh that negative. Also happy to sub in Slipper for Kepu and i wouldnt put it entirely past the ARU not to draft Kurtley back in at some stage either!

Thoughts? comments? general rubbishing of my rugby knowledge?

lewisr

Bill McLean (32)
ok heres my crack at a team.

1) Robinson
2) Moore
3) Palmer
4) Horwill
5) McMeniman
6) Higginbotham
7) Smith
8) Palu
9) Genia
10) Cooper
11) Ioane
12) Lealiifano
13) Ashley-Cooper
14) O'Connor
15) Folau

16) Polota-Nau
17) Alexander
18) Kepu
19) Timani
20) Auelua
21) Hooper
22) White
23) Horne

harder to pick than i thought!! so my general idea is to match them upfront, especially in the fowards then at some point in the second half, "unleash" our more loose running fowards and hopefully the gaps will open up against a tiring defence. Probably the biggest issue is only having the 2 backs, honestly i dont see white (or any other halfback) getting time on the field unless genia is injured or we are smashing them but unfortunatly need him there as a just incase. Having Horne covers most positions, ideally id sub him on for Lealiifano at some stage and get the tahs combo going, but Horne can also cover 13 and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) can cover the back 3 if needed. Other problem is the line-out options we lose with the foward reserves but i feel our go-foward potential as well as the try scoring potency (Alexander and Kepu know their way to the tryline!) will hopefully outweigh that negative. Also happy to sub in Slipper for Kepu and i wouldnt put it entirely past the ARU not to draft Kurtley back in at some stage either!

Thoughts? comments? general rubbishing of my rugby knowledge?

I would personally avoid horne at 12 with quade. Depending on how the game is going/ who gets subbed, you would be better off putting JOC (James O'Connor) at 12, horne into 13 and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) to the wing. Not that a number on someones back really matters...

Have we tried JOC (James O'Connor) at 12 with cooper at 10? It's risky! But in saying that, they are such good mates they may just combine brilliantly and tear it up.

southsider

Arch Winning (36)
I would personally avoid horne at 12 with quade. Depending on how the game is going/ who gets subbed, you would be better off putting JOC (James O'Connor) at 12, horne into 13 and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) to the wing. Not that a number on someones back really matters.

Have we tried JOC (James O'Connor) at 12 with cooper at 10? It's risky! But in saying that, they are such good mates they may just combine brilliantly and tear it up.

interesting idea but my main concerns would be defence in the 10/12 channel and moving too many people around unnecissarily. Horne may be more up for the challenge of reading quade at 10 than you think! Having grown up playing for the same junior club i know rob was sorrounded by guys with the same playing mentaility as quade (obviously not as good) but i wouldnt totally discredit them as a viable pair. And i have no doubt that quade and JOC (James O'Connor) could combine well together, good mates tend to regardless of playing styles etc

lewisr

Bill McLean (32)
interesting idea but my main concerns would be defence in the 10/12 channel and moving too many people around unnecissarily. Horne may be more up for the challenge of reading quade at 10 than you think! Having grown up playing for the same junior club i know rob was sorrounded by guys with the same playing mentaility as quade (obviously not as good) but i wouldnt totally discredit them as a viable pair. And i have no doubt that quade and JOC (James O'Connor) could combine well together, good mates tend to regardless of playing styles etc

Fair call on that. I guess I have always grouped him with McCabe in his style of play and just assume hes going to do the same thing... I wasn't very impressed with his performance against Wales (Botched tries, knock ons etc.) but I'm willing to give quade another shot so I don't see why Horne shouldn't fall under the same category if he is performing for the tahs. Would love it if deans had tried some of this. It has been proven that McCabe doesn't work with QC (Quade Cooper) so hopefully he doesnt try that combination again.

Desperately want to see attacking rugby... I have been having dreams of our backline tearing the Lions to pieces! Please, Robbie, don't screw it up again!

Richo

John Thornett (49)
Here it is:

Robinson
Moore
Palmer
MMM if fit, Douglas if not
Horwill
Mowen
Hooper
Palu
Genia
Cooper
Ioane
Lilo
AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
O'Connor
Barnes

TPN
Alexander
Slipper
Douglas if MMM is fit, Pyle if not
Higginbotham
Gill
Cummins
Folau

3-nil. Bam.

I'm gonna go ahead and guess that there'll be a back-up halfback.

lewisr

Bill McLean (32)
I'm gonna go ahead and guess that there'll be a back-up halfback.

I think he is simply making the point that if genia gets injured we will lose anyway, so why even bother with a backup? Quade can play 9 if sanchez gets injured

southsider

Arch Winning (36)
Fair call on that. I guess I have always grouped him with McCabe in his style of play and just assume hes going to do the same thing. I wasn't very impressed with his performance against Wales (Botched tries, knock ons etc.) but I'm willing to give quade another shot so I don't see why Horne shouldn't fall under the same category if he is performing for the tahs. Would love it if deans had tried some of this. It has been proven that McCabe doesn't work with QC (Quade Cooper) so hopefully he doesnt try that combination again.

Desperately want to see attacking rugby. I have been having dreams of our backline tearing the Lions to pieces! Please, Robbie, don't screw it up again!

i know having the whole same club thing as rob ive really wanted to support him but it has been hard at times, especially when wearing wallaby gold, but his put in a real solid performance this year so hoping that will translate across to test level. I really think we need quade, theres just no guys like him in the northern hemisphere, his a unknown factor to his own team let alone the opposition, id rather do a hail mary like putting cooper in than play boring rugby. As for McCabe id be happy if he never played for the wallabies again, puts his body on the line which you must give him credit for but to be a international you need talent and to be more than a one trick pony

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Fair call on that. I guess I have always grouped him with McCabe in his style of play and just assume hes going to do the same thing. I wasn't very impressed with his performance against Wales (Botched tries, knock ons etc.) but I'm willing to give quade another shot so I don't see why Horne shouldn't fall under the same category if he is performing for the tahs. Would love it if deans had tried some of this. It has been proven that McCabe doesn't work with QC (Quade Cooper) so hopefully he doesnt try that combination again.

Desperately want to see attacking rugby. I have been having dreams of our backline tearing the Lions to pieces! Please, Robbie, don't screw it up again!

It want really that McCabe didn't work with quade more that robbies game plan was very predictable and failed them both.

Status
Not open for further replies.