• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallabies Watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
I think this is such an oversimplification.

It was a very close series with strong defence from both sides. Both teams found it difficult to score tries.

This is what most test match rugby is all about.

Defences are better organised and drilled in test rugby and it is not very often that sides are broken down and lots of tries are scored. High scoring tests form both teams tend to be because of teams having defensive lapses.

I think you are kidding if you think a lot of tries are going to be scored in the Lions series, regardless of who plays in the various backline positions.

Wallaby forwards were dominant and the backs could capitalise on it. I'm not sure why everyone is trying to re-write history into some epic series when in reality it was an average welsh team and a wallabies team that was unable to put their foot on the throat!

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
As much as you would like it to be so, and Godwin looks very promising I agree, I seriously doubt he is that high in the reckoning, for Deans, at 12.
I wasnt saying he should be there just that he would/should be ahead of ant fainga for the 12.

He is prob a year away from getting into the squad maybe a EOY tourist this year.

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk 2

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Interesting, I asked a reasonable question about the backline that should "suit" Quade Cooper, and as yet, have had not one post attempt to answer it. If anyone cares to read my posts on Cooper, I have stated that I feel he is the best option at 10. I genuinely don't know what backline needs to be picked to "suit" him, or why some people feel he can't play in amongst another backline. Anyone?

No matter who is at 10 the back line needs another playmaker at 12 or 15. Sometimes Quade was lumped with fa'ainga, McCabe, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) as the centre and fullback. That is sheer insanity.

For the lions, I'd be happy with:

12 Horne
13 AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
15 Beale or JOC (James O'Connor)

12 Lilo
15 Mogg or Folau

BigSteve

Herbert Moran (7)
For the lions, I'd be happy with:

12 Horne
15 Beale or JOC (James O'Connor)

Horne.. your dreaming! i like the look of Lilo and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) in the centres with Folau at the back though, seems pretty damaging in attack (especially if Quade can put them through holes). Also they are all solid in defence.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Horne.. your dreaming! i like the look of Lilo and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) in the centres with Folau at the back though, seems pretty damaging in attack (especially if Quade can put them through holes). Also they are all solid in defence.

I'd have Horne as the #2 ranked 12 at the moment behind Lealiifano, with Godwin a tiny bit behind at #3. And as I said earlier I reckon Robbie will pick him because of his experience and established combo with AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper). The more I think about it the more I reckon it will happen.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Hardly dreaming. Deans has picked direct running, hard tackling 12s before, I believe. We have a few of them running around - Horne, McCabe are examples. Not exactly left-field for Robbie at all.
But yeah, I'd have Lilo and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) as well.

BigSteve

Herbert Moran (7)
Hardly dreaming. Deans has picked direct running, hard tackling 12s before, I believe. We have a few of them running around - Horne, McCabe are examples. Not exactly left-field for Robbie at all.
But yeah, I'd have Lilo and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) as well.

Though i agree he will be highly considered by deans, i was basing my selection on what i personally believe is a better combo for the wallabies. Yes Horne can defend well, but he does not pass often at all, even when he should have or needs to pass. whereas Lilo is an excellent distributor as well as a fine defender and that makes the choice seem obvious to me... but deans does love his boring conservative rugby.. so i expect to see him in the squad, if not him then McCabe

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I wouldn't be surprised at all if Deans went with Horne. Given he is starting it actually makes more sense then McCabe and Deans may prefer not to debut Lilo. Personally I'd prefer Lilo, but there is a rational for Horne getting a gig & Deans is known to like to go with players he has faith in.

The two debates around who deserves a start and who Deans will pick are not the same.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I wouldn't be surprised at all if Deans went with Horne. Given he is starting it actually makes more sense then McCabe and Deans may prefer not to debut Lilo. Personally I'd prefer Lilo, but there is a rational for Horne getting a gig & Deans is known to like to go with players he has faith in.

The two debates around who deserves a start and who Deans will pick are not the same.
In most positions probably!!! Probably only Genia and Horwill can't really be debated, and will be picked.
Robbie keeps our traffic up, that's for sure.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
The good thing this year is that there are players in form competing for every position (touch wood). Compared to last year when it was often a case of picking out of who was left standing.

lewisr

Bill McLean (32)
For all his attacking ability, has anyone paid attention to Folau's defence (Legit question not trying to have a shot at him)? Just realised that I've been watching him in awe when he attacks but haven't really noticed his ability to defend.

If QC (Quade Cooper) does get chosen, we need someone who can stand in the 10 position to allow him to launch his counter attacks. In saying that, we would really want Folau next to him where either can receive the high balls in our own half, that would be an absolutely devastating counter attacking option. So who do you play at the 10 role in defence? The northern flyhalves will want to kick it as much as possible so I see the counter attack as a real strength for us, especially if we can capitalise with x factor players.

Maybe O'Connor at 15 with Folau on the wing??

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Coopers defence is good enough to defend at 10. Just because he defends at 15 for the Reds, doesn't mean he has to for the Wallabies.

Based on all reports though, the more relevant question would appear to be if O'Conner or Beale can.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
I suppose my feeling is that if we're going to have a crash-ball 12, I'd prefer the current incarnation of Horne over McCabe. Personally, I'd like to see Lilo there.

What I reckon Deans will do:

JOC (James O'Connor)
Digby
Horne
AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
Folau
Beale

What I'd like to see:

Cooper
Digby
Lilo
AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
JOC (James O'Connor)
Folau

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
Coopers defence is good enough to defend at 10. Just because he defends at 15 for the Reds, doesn't mean he has to for the Wallabies.

Based on all reports though, the more relevant question would appear to be if O'Conner or Beale can.
I'll give you Queenslanders one thing, you're dedicated.

Richo

John Thornett (49)

The problem, again, is that there is no evidence Cooper can defend in the line. I think he can now, but how do we know?

JOC (James O'Connor) is a very good defender, even if he's had a few shoddy games lately. And seriously, who wouldn't look like a bad defender playing for the Rebels?

Richo

John Thornett (49)
For all his attacking ability, has anyone paid attention to Folau's defence (Legit question not trying to have a shot at him)? Just realised that I've been watching him in awe when he attacks but haven't really noticed his ability to defend.

If QC (Quade Cooper) does get chosen, we need someone who can stand in the 10 position to allow him to launch his counter attacks. In saying that, we would really want Folau next to him where either can receive the high balls in our own half, that would be an absolutely devastating counter attacking option. So who do you play at the 10 role in defence? The northern flyhalves will want to kick it as much as possible so I see the counter attack as a real strength for us, especially if we can capitalise with x factor players.

Maybe O'Connor at 15 with Folau on the wing??

Quade won't be defending at 15 in tests. He might drop back there occasionally, but this won't be built into the defensive system.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Sorry to be prickly, but your post suggests that I (and others) are unable to be objective because I'm a Queensland. To be honest, that's Bullshit and I'm over it. Why not just say you disagree that Coopers defence is up to scratch.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
TSR, not sure if that's directed at me, but I do think his defense is good enough. I also think the way the Reds defend and use him for countering works against him in terms of Wallabies selection.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I suppose my feeling is that if we're going to have a crash-ball 12, I'd prefer the current incarnation of Horne over McCabe. Personally, I'd like to see Lilo there.

What I reckon Deans will do:

JOC (James O'Connor)
Digby
Horne
AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
Folau
Beale

What I'd like to see:

Cooper
Digby
Lilo
AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
JOC (James O'Connor)
Folau
I'm not sure who Deans will pick at 12, but otherwise pretty much agree on both counts.

lewisr

Bill McLean (32)

Completely agree mate. I am saying that we are better off with him at 15 for counter attacking reasons... A number of tries the reds have scored throughout their recent success has been off a Cooper counter attack, why sacrifice such an advantage??

Contrary to popular belief, I also think that protecting your flyhalf isn't such a bad thing... Why put one of the most important players on the field in the direct line of fire? If you have to because there is not a better defensive option at 10 then sure, I can understand. But you are better off protecting your play maker and ensuring they are 100% when it really counts (i.e. in attack).

Status
Not open for further replies.