• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallabies Watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
TSR, not sure if that's directed at me, but I do think his defense is good enough. I also think the way the Reds defend and use him for countering works against him in terms of Wallabies selection.
No, sorry Richo, it's was directed at Dumbledore. Guess I should have replied to him, but your typing was too quick for my fingers. They are more accustomed to plucking a banjo.

lewisr

Bill McLean (32)
TSR, not sure if that's directed at me, but I do think his defense is good enough. I also think the way the Reds defend and use him for countering works against him in terms of Wallabies selection.

Why should it count against him? I'm not saying you believe that it should, but it seems ridiculous that the AUS selectors think in such a narrow minded way. You only have to watch his counter attack and ability to take the high ball to realise that playing him (or any attacking 10!!) at the 15 position is smart.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Yeah, in recent weeks especially, his defence has been just fine. He can defend 10 quite well enough. I think he may well not get picked just because Deans has other ideas, whatever they may be. The defence thing is a canard. He would have plenty of good defenders around him, if he gets picked, I reckon anyway. There really is no-one else who has anywhere near as strong a claim. IMO.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Completely agree mate. I am saying that we are better off with him at 15 for counter attacking reasons. A number of tries the reds have scored throughout their recent success has been off a Cooper counter attack, why sacrifice such an advantage??

He's no longer the star of the team when it comes to test rugby.

Whoever is at fullback in defence will be a quality counter-attacker. The Reds do it because Cooper is a dramatically better attacking player than Jono Lance.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
Why should it count against him? I'm not saying you believe that it should, but it seems ridiculous that the AUS selectors think in such a narrow minded way. You only have to watch his counter attack and ability to take the high ball to realise that playing him (or any attacking 10!!) at the 15 position is smart.

It counts against him because Deans doesn't trust him as a defender. We can all assume that he'd be fine in the line against the Lions but without proof of consistent good defense there, I can understand how a coach wouldn't pick him to do so in the biggest rugby series in Australia in 12 years. It's pretty logical, even if a bit conservative.

Why would he have to defend in the line and not at 15 for the counter attack that you describe? Deans has stated that he wants his 10 to defend in the line so that there is no transition phase on turnover ball and to ensure that there isn't a regular position switch to negotiate, among other reasons. I think this is a pretty valid view to have, but it doesn't really matter whether we agree or not since it's what the game plan will call for.

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
Maybe O'Connor at 15 with Folau on the wing??

And we'll also select Moore at lock and Horwill at hooker.

Backline positioning changes depending on whether or not you are attacking or defending, why not just select them in their best spots? Folau is just as good a tackler as any other fullback option.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Is anyone seriously still considering Tapuai for higher honours at this point? Way too many options ahead of him this year at least. Familiarity with Sanchez and Kwade won't help him when things jump up a notch, not that he's done much wrong.

lewisr

Bill McLean (32)
Why would he have to defend in the line and not at 15 for the counter attack that you describe? Deans has stated that he wants his 10 to defend in the line so that there is no transition phase on turnover ball and to ensure that there isn't a regular position switch to negotiate, among other reasons. I think this is a pretty valid view to have, but it doesn't really matter whether we agree or not since it's what the game plan will call for.

How can you eliminate a transition phase if the flyhalf is the one making the tackle? You want him to defend but then attack the instant after. On top of that, 90% of the time Quade makes it to the attacking line as a second receiver coming up from full back off the first phase after a turnover. If you play an inside centre that is actually willing to distribute this works fine, if not better than having the usual 10 as the first receiver as you are in broken play. The reds have no problem with the regular position switch, I can't see why the Wallabies should struggle.

We aren't going to beat the Lions by sticking to totally traditional ideas and concepts. There needs to be an element of risk taken in both how we play the game and what new things we try.
i.e.----------->>>
successful but also attractive rugby.
Whoever is at fullback in defence will be a quality counter-attacker.
So why not improve that further by having your flyhalf work with him in unison?

Richo

John Thornett (49)
I'm just telling you what Deans has said. They have tried playing that type of switching at test level before, although I can't remember which tests. It was not a success.

lewisr

Bill McLean (32)
I'm just telling you what Deans has said. They have tried playing that type of switching at test level before, although I can't remember which tests. It was not a success.

Fair enough.

No one had a punt at my question a few pages back - what are peoples thoughts on Foley? There is a surge for Barnes after his 20 minutes but Foley consistently impresses with his kicking and ability to read the game.

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
Fair enough.

No one had a punt at my question a few pages back - what are peoples thoughts on Foley? There is a surge for Barnes after his 20 minutes but Foley consistently impresses with his kicking and ability to read the game.
Super form is nothing when thrown into international. Foley is playing really well and will probably play off the bench in the EOYT, but his inexperience is too great for anything soon.

People are looking at Barnes for the same reason we've looked at AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) these last three seasons - doesn't matter what the super form is, they have international form.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Foley is good this year but you saw what happened to his game in a confined environment against the stormers - snuffed out, and he looked disappointed.

He has the potential but Test rugby is that bit too far for him right now. Needs more work on his kicking in play so that he can put hid team in the right areas. He could have made the winning play as easily as Barnes did, but to that point he'd not had the opportunity

Richo

John Thornett (49)
Fair enough.

Saturday was probably the only time when Foley's kicking from hand wasn't dodgy this season. Foley has to develop a solid kicking game at a minimum. He's a bit away from the Wallabies, I think.

Bairdy

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Fair enough.

His ability to read the game, yes he has been impressive. But his kicking is not up to test standard; questionably not even up to super rugby standard. He has to have Crawford kick to clear because he has a weak boot.

lewisr

Bill McLean (32)
I understand that, I meant more as a future prospect.

I still feel that Barnes is an injury liability. He is and has been a great player and bloke but seems so prone to getting injured these days. Surely JOC (James O'Connor) and Quade are ahead of him? I guess it will depend on how he performs next weekend. I feel sorry for the bloke, apparently he has constant headaches from footballers migraine. Good luck to him in Japan

T

Train Without a Station

The problem, again, is that there is no evidence Cooper can defend in the line.

JOC (James O'Connor) is a very good defender, even if he's had a few shoddy games lately.

1. Sure, only if you haven't watched any of the games and moments like his tackle in the line on George Smith off the back of a line out and his hit on Rene Ranger

2. JOC (James O'Connor) is a good tackler. Doesn't make him a good defender. It's not the first time he's had trouble in D. Sure he can put on good tackles, but Carter & McCabe in the past have made him look stupid at 12. There's obviously a theme developing. Different issue to Quade's previous issues, but that's irrelevant if it results in missed tackles.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
1. Sure, only if you haven't watched any of the games and moments like his tackle in the line on George Smith off the back of a line out and his hit on Rene Ranger

2. JOC (James O'Connor) is a good tackler. Doesn't make him a good defender. It's not the first time he's had trouble in D. Sure he can put on good tackles, but Carter & McCabe in the past have made him look stupid at 12. There's obviously a theme developing. Different issue to Quade's previous issues, but that's irrelevant if it results in missed tackles.

Yes, Cooper can tackle. Personally, I'm fine with his defense. But because he doesn't consistently defend in the line there isn't much evidence that he can do so phase after phase. I'm not saying he can't, I'm not saying he hasn't effected some good tackles, I'm just saying that this is a problem for his selection from Deans's perspective. I'm not sure why it's such a difficult logic to understand. It might be the wrong emphasis, but the thinking is logical. Btw, as I've said about a dozen times now, if I was picking the team, I'd take him.

You're right about JOC (James O'Connor). Surely that should be sounding an alarm bell for Robbie?

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
I think it is telling that NZ went with Henry over Deans.

On a different note, I think Bernard Foley is quickly becoming a contender for the 10 Jersey. He is a man to watch in the future.

The reason why the NZRU went for Henry over Deans is very simple: Tew and Deans fell out years ago at the Crusaders, something about one's ambition being thwarted by the other. Tew and his fellow panel members adjudged Henry's submission to be superior to Deans's as Henry included a complete set of assistant coaches, which wasn't required in the initial application submission.

Foley for the Wobblies 10 jumper? Not yet, not for a long while. Saturday's match against the Stormers was a severe test of Bernard's ability to direct a backline against a brickwall defence, and he was found wanting. I sincerely hope he has many hours looking at a recording of his performance and puts a lot of thought into how he might do it differently next time. ATM I reckon Foley'd be ranked about seventh in the 10 stakes after Barnes, Beale, Cooper, Lealiifano, JOC (James O'Connor) and To'omua. His Ancientness Lee Grant has pointed out how Foley brings his Sevens experience to the 15 man game, I agree. His taking the ball to the line is excellent, his putting a fellow player through a gap is very good but his tactical direction of the whole backline needs improvement. And he simply MUST develop a good kicking game to be an effective 10. But he's shown immense promise this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.