• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallabies vs England, Sydney, 3rd Test, 25 June @ 8:00pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Carter has a reputation for being a good scrummager. Arnold is suppose to be the next best after Douglas but he is still very fresh. Coleman could be worth a try.

Yeah
We need to blood the bloke as a just reward for effort this year.

No locks have been great in the first 2 matches.

chasmac

Dave Cowper (27)
Yeah
We need to blood the bloke as a just reward for effort this year.

No locks have been great in the first 2 matches.

Is it a case of the locks being outnumbered at the breakdown?
We have all seen Hooper on the wing alot plus Fardy in game 1.
Is it team tactics that make the locks look poor (dominated)?

Viking

Mark Ella (57)

Nah they look pretty ineffective at super rugby too.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)

Hooper plays about as loose as you can get Time to revert to a bit of old school stuff. Fardy was exceptionally and unusually poor last week and probably deserves a bench spot to realise that he is not "immune" to consequences of playing at a level less than satisfactory - bit like Rob Simmons

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I think we're getting a bit carried away with replacements here. Who are these uncapped players who are going to magically make the Wallabies better? This is our problem in Australian rugby, we get too hung up on bringing individuals in and expecting them to perform miracles. It's a team game guys, our strategy and formations were bad on the weekend, not necessarily the individual players themselves. Some were below par, yes, but just chucking out half the team, as I've seen suggested here, is not the answer. With a smarter game plan and better execution we should have won on Saturday night. When you have that amount of possession and don't win it's not the players necessarily, but the mental side of the game. If we'd lost every set piece and breakdown I'd be saying the opposite, but we didn't. We got out thought.

chasmac

Dave Cowper (27)
I think we're getting a bit carried away with replacements here. Who are these uncapped players who are going to magically make the Wallabies better? This is our problem in Australian rugby, we get too hung up on bringing individuals in and expecting them to perform miracles. It's a team game guys, our strategy and formations were bad on the weekend, not necessarily the individual players themselves. Some were below par, yes, but just chucking out half the team, as I've seen suggested here, is not the answer. With a smarter game plan and better execution we should have won on Saturday night. When you have that amount of possession and don't win it's not the players necessarily, but the mental side of the game. If we'd lost every set piece and breakdown I'd be saying the opposite, but we didn't. We got out thought.

Fair point TBH.
In changing the gameplan though, don't you look for personell that have particular strengths?

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Fair point TBH.
In changing the gameplan though, don't you look for personell that have particular strengths?

Often times yes. The thing is though, this group is just about the best we can select right now and they also performed very well at the RWC last year. I don't know that we have an abundance of test quality replacements waiting in the wings.

JJJ

Vay Wilson (31)
I don't think Fardy was exceptionally poor. I don't have the stats but it seemed to me that he was the player making most of the last-second clean outs to save a holding-on penalty. The poms had a big focus on breakdown training leading into this series and it's shown. They've been very accurate in defense and attack.

Where's forcefan with the ruck stats?

chasmac

Dave Cowper (27)
Often times yes. The thing is though, this group is just about the best we can select right now and they also performed very well at the RWC last year. I don't know that we have an abundance of test quality replacements waiting in the wings.
So you think change the gameplan but keep the personnel?

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Viking

Mark Ella (57)

It's not about bringing in new players to find a "miracle". Now it's about bloody new players to build depth and strength in positions.

Now is the perfect opportunity to test fringe players abilities at Test level or giving rookies much needed Test experience.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
I don't think Fardy was exceptionally poor. I don't have the stats but it seemed to me that he was the player making most of the last-second clean outs to save a holding-on penalty. The poms had a big focus on breakdown training leading into this series and it's shown. They've been very accurate in defense and attack.

Where's forcefan with the ruck stats?

Fardy dropped a few balls and was turned over a few times. I think his problem can be easily fixed though, he still has the much needed mongrel and work ethic it just seems a bit of discipline was off.

Some of those dropped balls were due to a lack of support and/or a lack of williness/work to get into position from other players to receive the ball.

I'd persist with Fardy. The rest of the team need to harden up.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
It's not about bringing in new players to find a "miracle". Now it's about bloody new players to build depth and strength in positions.

Now is the perfect opportunity to test fringe players abilities at Test level or giving rookies much needed Test experience.

It's certainly how it comes across to me. Every time we lose a big test match there so many people who want to sack half the team and coaches, implement a whole new structure at the ARU and all sorts of other overreactions. I'm all for tweaking a couple of positions, mainly off the bench, but this squad isn't all of a sudden below par.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
We've had no issue securing our own ball at the breakdown.

We won 156/159 of our own rucks on Saturday night for a whopping 98%.

It was what we did with the ball that was the problem.

There was a lack of coordinated play over multiple phases to try and create an advantage somewhere in the defensive line.

Our handling massively let us down. 24 turnovers conceded is just way too much.

4 each from Haylett-Petty, Fardy and Foley are just far too many.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)

There was a lack of coordinated play over multiple phases to try and create an advantage somewhere in the defensive line.

I can recall two times where we DID create an advantage in their defensive line.

A good overlap to the right just needed to go through the hands but Foley chooses to truck it up.

DHP out wide on the left but Folau/Kuridrani seem to run into each other. Wide balls or a cross field kick would have been perfect then.

We made chances, we just didn't take them. Dumb rugby. That's what's most frustrating.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
From the main page:

original.jpg

From poster RobC in the main page:

original.jpg

http://www.greenandgoldrugby.com/eight-angry-observations-tonights-game/

We just needed a playmaker or two to recognise the opportunities created.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)

I can handle handling errors if we are trying to create something,but most of the handling issues were when we were basically just trucking it up.
We can play much better than this.
I'm hoping the bookies make England short priced favourites so I can unload on the Wobblies..

Status
Not open for further replies.