• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallabies vs England, Sydney, 3rd Test, 25 June @ 8:00pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
How about this then?

IMO there really needs to be a skills course done at around under 14's level (or around then) that teaches kids full-on skills and drills it into them that "it doesn't matter what size you are, a skilled player always beats an unskilled player". Teach them proper catching and passing, kicking, catching kicks, and for forwards, scrummaging and all that sorta shit.

Also what was the thing about World Rugby Corp.?
Sounds good,but the reality is that At U16, they are selecting the kid who is good to go right now,not who might be better in four or five years.
In all these rep teams,they pick em by the pound.
Even in the 20's,the first thing they work out who is up to the physicality of competing with men right now.Then they pick a team from those that are.
Skills don't even come in to it until the last stage of selections.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
How about this then?

IMO there really needs to be a skills course done at around under 14's level (or around then) that teaches kids full-on skills and drills it into them that "it doesn't matter what size you are, a skilled player always beats an unskilled player". Teach them proper catching and passing, kicking, catching kicks, and for forwards, scrummaging and all that sorta shit.

Also what was the thing about World Rugby Corp.?

There are already skills camps held around the country now. One off courses are good but do not give the in depth 'muscle memory' type execution that we need.

As for WRC this is from the Wiki as the easiest source and briefest

a Sydney-based group called the World Rugby Corporation (WRC). WRC was formed by lawyer Geoff Levy and former Wallaby Ross Turnbull. Both wanted a professional worldwide rugby competition funded by Kerry Packer.[62] At one point the WRC had a majority of the All Blacks and Wallaby teams signed up to their competition. In addition to this the Springboks had also signed the WRC contracts but had decided not to hand them over and instead signed up with the South African Rugby Union.[63] The players had been told they would never play for their country again if they committed to the WRC.[64] Most of the All Blacks then followed their Springbok counterparts by signing with their Union. The Australians, realising that without the New Zealanders and South Africans WRC's proposal could not succeed, relented and signed for the Australian Rugby Union.[
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_rugby_union

JJJ

Vay Wilson (31)
I have to say, I really underestimated how much we would miss Beale. In the first test, when a utility back would've helped no end, and in the second test when his creativity and playmaking were sorely missed. His acceleration into gaps is top-drawer.

I don't think Cheika would've started Kerevi and Kuridrani at centre if he had Beale unless he were supremely confident of winning the territory battle. Even then he'd probably pick Beale.

I wonder if Beale's late injury together with Lilo's absence scuppered the majority of the plans Cheiks had been developing since the RWC?

We're really lacking steppers and speed. I'd almost be desperate enough to phone JOC (James O'Connor) and inquire into his health if I were Cheika.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I have to say, I really underestimated how much we would miss Beale. In the first test, when a utility back would've helped no end, and in the second test when his creativity and playmaking were sorely missed. His acceleration into gaps is top-drawer.

I don't think Cheika would've started Kerevi and Kuridrani at centre if he had Beale unless he were supremely confident of winning the territory battle. Even then he'd probably pick Beale.

I wonder if Beale's late injury together with Lilo's absence scuppered the majority of the plans Cheiks had been developing since the RWC?

We're really lacking steppers and speed. I'd almost be desperate enough to phone JOC (James O'Connor) and inquire into his health if I were Cheika.
Or indeed how his his "ability to play nicely with others" lessons are going?

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
The only thing I saw Lilo do was drop a pass....

You mean this one?

original.jpg

He's not superman. Phipps was having a shocker.

But you do have a point, He also had very little impact, which is probably better then negative impact (Foley) but he certainly isn't putting his hand up for selection.

I'd still select them though, tactically he is just going to be a better fit. Foley needs another playmaker and their is literally no-one else. Hodge is an outside option. Hunt and To'omua maybe depending on fitness.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
That photo right there highlights one of our biggest problems last night. The passing from the ruck base was rarely out in front of the receiver. Pretty hard to play running footy when you have to take that extra fraction of a second to collect the ball.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
I've actually been enjoying your posts BR, but I just want to pull you up on the #8 thing. Mccalman is a real life proper #8, as is Palu. Both of these blokes are workhorses in the tight and most of their good work is camouflaged by the bodies around them and doesn't show up in any stats. Ask the blokes that play with them.

As for #10, Foley is the better option of those two. I don't think he's our long term future though, that's probably Greene, Horwitz, Mackintyre or someone hiding in subbies or the country comps.

EDIT: you changed your post! You definitely had something about mccalman in the original one, saying he wasn't a test #8 or something. Maybe you realised you were wrong.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks KOB. I haven't edited out any comment about Ben McC and can't remember now (and too lazy to check) if I had any comment about him in that post. I did however post another comment to that effect. On Ben McC, we'll just have to disagree.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
LOL! I didnt realise you were watching a different game!! Foley wasnt that bad, any 10 would have struggled with a defence as good as Englands. He is still our best option at 10 by a significant margin.

50/50 though, agree with you about McMahon.

If you read my post carefully, you'll see why I think Foley had a shocker. He can't kick out of hand to relieve the rush defense; he has trouble finding a good touch when kicking for the line, and he has let the side down with his goal kicking. Which of those areas have I done him a disservice? Until he can rectify those issues, I believe he is not our best Option at 10.

tragic

John Solomon (38)
Given that Cheika made 4 changes to the starting lineup (one enforced) and dropped 2 entirely from the 23 after a game we were on top in most aspects except the penalty count and scoreboard, I can't wait to see what he comes up with next week.
I reckon there's going to be one or two surprises.

saulityvi

Syd Malcolm (24)
Whats up with people dropping Carter? He hit half a century of rucks and handled the lineout well, Aussie dont have Brodie Retallick who does everything so need to stick with one lineout/workhorse lock and find an enforcer from somewhere, hopefully Douglas picks up where he left once back.

And anyway its not like Simmons has ever played better than Carter did on saturday.

Sorry if someone already mentioned this, didnt read through all thread.

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
I've read a couple of articles/comments/whatever suggesting that Hooper be the captain for the next match.

Surely that option can't possibly be on the table.

He is not a captain.

And before anyone asks the onvious - the answer is "anyone else in the run on team".

KOB1987

John Eales (66)

This and no Tomane and/or Speight I would suggest.

G

galumay

And before anyone asks the onvious - the answer is "anyone else in the run on team".

Thats obviously wrong because of the primary suggestion that Moore shouldnt be captain, so Hooper is at least ahead of him in the running.

On a serious note, obviously if Moore is not captain, then Hooper definitely comes into the small group of players that would be considered. Poey is out, so it cant be him, there are probably only 3 or 4 players that would be in the running.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Whats up with people dropping Carter? He hit half a century of rucks and handled the lineout well, Aussie dont have Brodie Retallick who does everything so need to stick with one lineout/workhorse lock and find an enforcer from somewhere, hopefully Douglas picks up where he left once back.

And anyway its not like Simmons has ever played better than Carter did on saturday.

Sorry if someone already mentioned this, didnt read through all thread.

Whilst watching live I thought he was fairly invisible in the game but the stats have shown how much work he puts in. I was shocked when I saw the stats, but impressed. I'd have him in front of Simmons too.

I guess he's the best of a bad bunch. Our locks lack of impact of around the park has been a big issue. The return of Douglas can't come any sooner - but even with such a long standing injury he will take a long time to get back to form.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
I've read a couple of articles/comments/whatever suggesting that Hooper be the captain for the next match.

Surely that option can't possibly be on the table.

He is not a captain.

I think it was more of a re-action to how bad of a captain Moore is, rather then how good Hooper would be.

Poey would be my first pick. Ref's love him.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Poey would be my first pick. Ref's love him.

Maybe we can get some sort of dispensation to have Pocock appointed non-playing captain.

I can see him now, stalking up and down the sideline, with an eyepatch, barking instructions to the team and buttering up the referee.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Maybe we can get some sort of dispensation to have Pocock appointed non-playing captain.

I can see him now, stalking up and down the sideline, with an eyepatch, barking instructions to the team and buttering up the referee.

Probably still do a better job than Moore ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.