• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallabies vs England, Perth

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I totally agree re Genia. If he can be in the 22, he should be starting. If he is not 100%, I don't want him coming on for 20 minutes only to end up injured again and out for weeks longer. I honestly cannot separate Burgess and Valentine - they both have their faults. Burgess is prone to meerkat-type behaviour instead of delivering the ball, and his passing is liable to be hurried (not fast, but ill-thought out) and inaccurate, but he defends well, and occasionally snipes well. Valentine is a cock, has apparently copied the Meerkat routine, is liable to give away stupid penalties, and is a cock. Neither box-kick well. Really a case of Hobson's choice.
But that is all academic - I doubt our 9 will win or lose the Test, our 1-5 will be the area of concern, and where England will attempt to hammer us if they are half-smart. If the forwards somehow get 40% decent ball, the backs should account for England's backs.

C

chief

A bad decision? How did the Reds go again?...

So if we use that logic, then Phil Waugh should be #7, and Turner should be 14 etc. Being said we cannot compare, Hynes was fantastic for the Reds in the games he played, Barnes through form does not deserve to be in the squad. Being said, we need someone who can play first receiver and inside centre not sure if Hynes can do that specially with Beale on the bench. Wouldn't worry too much about the bench though Deans never uses it. Quade Cooper could play like he did in 07 vs The Chiefs and Deans still wouldn't bring on Barnes (seriously, anyone remember the Wellington Bledisloe last year)

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I think the suggestion is Chief, that Barnes left to play finals footy. Which he did. Which he wouldn't have if he stayed at the Reds. decision vindicated from that perspective.

His omission from the Wallaby squad? Now that's another issue.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
A bad decision? How did the Reds go again?...

Hey Henry, I really meant of course the kind of regrets that must have/may have gone through Barnes' mind when he started to play as poorly - or disappointingly - as he did for much of the Tahs' season, and when he saw what Link was achieving in Brisbane. As you rightly infer, his call to the Tahs was a blessing in disguise for the Reds, we all know what evolved with Cooper and Genia....

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
So if we use that logic, then Phil Waugh should be #7, and Turner should be 14 etc. Being said we cannot compare, Hynes was fantastic for the Reds in the games he played, Barnes through form does not deserve to be in the squad. Being said, we need someone who can play first receiver and inside centre not sure if Hynes can do that specially with Beale on the bench. Wouldn't worry too much about the bench though Deans never uses it. Quade Cooper could play like he did in 07 vs The Chiefs and Deans still wouldn't bring on Barnes (seriously, anyone remember the Wellington Bledisloe last year)

Come off it. Barnes hit form towards the right end of the Super 14, and he played well in the BaaBaa's game.

Hynes has been under an injury cloud, although he did play well in the BaaBaa's game too.

I thought Deans might opt for a 5-2 split between forwards and backs (respectively for this game, actually.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)

Whatever RD may have done or not done with the bench in the past, there's a high chance he'll need it this time if the England forwards hold lots of possession and t/o well and we have to tackle like demons throughout to hold on and tired legs factors really build...any coach in this very real potential scenario has to allocate the very best bench possible to deal with it, and, as we all have said, this is a very odd looking bench for this particular match (polite words chosen).

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Beale. Raw deal. Should have started to see if he can deliver at the highest level. We already know the little bloke is mostly good, sometimes great, but gets slapped around a little when the going gets tough.

So now we get to learn nothing.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
I totally agree re Genia. If he can be in the 22, he should be starting. If he is not 100%, I don't want him coming on for 20 minutes only to end up injured again and out for weeks longer.

Absolutely. And if Genia has to come on, it's likely to be earlier than later when things have started to go badly for Aus. So, if he's still recovering and cannot take a hard 80 mins, what on earth are we doing risking him (say in a high-tackling 20 mins) for who knows how many more tests if he's re-injured.

After hearing of today's Aus selections, I can truly say that I've never been so excited over being so incredulous ;-).

I'd love - or hate? - to be in the ARU big guns' box if this all has gone horribly wrong on the last siren.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
You just have to compare this 22 against the 22s we were picking on the forum to get a sense of how bizarre it is.

http://www.greenandgoldrugby.com/forum/threads/5210-Wallaby-selection-game-exercise

And my prediction:

http://www.greenandgoldrugby.com/fo...-game-exercise?p=154422&viewfull=1#post154422

Yes mate. And as mentioned prior, if we strip away our love of the G&G, the whole thing is now like a wildly eccentric scientific experiment 'never before tried and with results completely unknown' that could amuse us in some other-worldly way.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Maybe RD's trying to push the jersey value up some for the experienced guys

Rsea, I used to think I grasped RD's thinking and logic, now I am just bamboozled. It is clearly a secret formula that will drive this experiment on....

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Most of my reaction has been covered already. but the most bizarre selection ever (or at least since Alan Jones picked his favourite blond) has to be Slipper at reserve Oz prop. He was creamed in the scrum by virtually everyone in S14 and Deans thinks he is good enough to play against England??????

This is beyond bizarre. I do not agree with giving out Wallaby jumpers to young kids, especially in the tight five, who have shown they can't yet even make it at S14. In five years time he might be wonderful but his selection today degrades the value of the jumper. At least two of the selectors need to be fired.

Reactions: DPK

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Why the fuck does Deans think it's ever acceptable to lose games?

In fact, after the Tuesday game, he more or less said he had no issues with the result, partly as he was "meddling". To me, this was another alarming lapse of judgement, to so concede momentum and the capability of conquest to England knowing the very weaknesses we'd surely have the following Saturday.

disco

Chilla Wilson (44)
In fact, after the Tuesday game, he more or less said he had no issues with the result, partly as he was "meddling".

Did he really say that? He's starting to get in the Eddie Jones area of weird.

Cyril Towers (30)
Most of my reaction has been covered already. but the most bizarre selection ever (or at least since Alan Jones picked his favourite blond) has to be Slipper at reserve Oz prop. He was creamed in the scrum by virtually everyone in S14 and Deans thinks he is good enough to play against England??????

This is beyond bizarre. I do not agree with giving out Wallaby jumpers to young kids, especially in the tight five, who have shown they can't yet even make it at S14. In five years time he might be wonderful but his selection today degrades the value of the jumper. At least two of the selectors need to be fired.
Mate, Slipper wasn't creamed in the scrum by nearly everyone in the S14. He didn't even get that far. He only played twice. This is crazy.

D

David

Nah, Slipper was impressive when he played, I think you maybe have mistaken him for Jack Kennedy, who was shoved across the park.

Status
Not open for further replies.