• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallabies vs England, Perth

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
As someone posted elsewhere... we're missing 5 of the 8 forwards who started against Wales last year... plus our reserve hooker and George Smith (through to retirement)...

England probably would've been an easy win for us with a full strength squad but now we're down to 3/4th choice hookers and props, and no quality no. 8's...

I don't think Deans can be blamed for such a horror injury toll, but I do agree with many of the comments above... he's not the messiah and some of his selections and game plans have been odd...

Hopefully the game against Fiji isn't a sign that our forwards have been told to stay out of the rucks again... it seemed like we'd finally learned about forward play on the EOYT...

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
The engine room and the backrow better come onto the pitch fucking pumped up, ready to kill someone (except Brown- bring that level head with you).

If we lose, I'm going to be bloody ropable. I HATE losing, especially to the fucking Pomies and the goddamn Kiwi's.

Lance Free

Arch Winning (36)
Here's the full press release:

QANTAS WALLABIES NAMED TO PLAY ENGLAND

Queensland props Ben Daley and James Slipper could make their Test debuts for Australia on the same night after today being listed among six changes to the Qantas Wallabies match night squad for Saturday’s Bundaberg Red Rugby Series Test against England in Perth.

The 21-year-old Daley will play his maiden Test after being named to start at loosehead prop in the first of the two-game series against England for the Cook Cup. He is one of four changes to the starting XV from last weekend’s 49-3 win over Fiji in Canberra.

The others see Queensland Reds hooker Saia Fainga'a promoted from the bench swapping roles with Huia Edmonds, while James’ O’Connor’s three-try performance for the Australian Barbarians against England in Perth on Tuesday night has proved too irresistible to ignore, with the 19-year-old displacing Kurtley Beale at fullback. Beale has been retained on the bench.

The final change to the run on combination places Drew Mitchell on the wing, at the expense of the injured Adam Ashley-Cooper.

Daley, whose introduction to the Test squad was delayed by a shoulder injury, will become the 842nd player to represent Australia in Test matches. The son of former Australian rugby league international Phil Daley, he is coming off a Super Rugby season for Queensland which saw him start in all 12 games for which he was available.

He will be joined in Qantas Wallabies Company by Slipper – last year’s Australian Under-20 Player of the Year – should the newcomer be required off the bench.

Although not utilized by Queensland in a starting role until the tail end of this year’s Investec Bank Super 14, Slipper performed strongly in the opportunities he received, and showcased his versatility on Tuesday night when he played on both sides of the scrum for the Australian Barbarians.

The presence of Slipper, who was not an original selection in the Qantas Wallabies squad, instead being included among the Barbarians group; is one of three personnel alterations among the run on reserves from last weekend’s Test match.

Queensland Reds captain Will Genia re-enters from the bench, after missing the season opener as he rehabilitated from a medial ligament strain in his knee.

NSW Waratahs flyhalf Berrick Barnes is also included, after helping the Barbarians to land a 28-28 draw with England during Tuesday night’s tour opener in Perth.

Qantas Wallabies coach Robbie Deans says the choices made today were all form related, rewarding players who had excelled.

“The tour match midweek helped us a lot to that end,” Deans says, “in terms of finalising the combination. The quality shown by James [O’Connor] was simply impossible to ignore, Berrick showed the leadership and direction we were looking for, while James [Slipper] made an impact when he came off the bench.

“Importantly, he [Slipper] offers us cover on both sides of the scrum, which is something that we lost to some extent with the injury that was sustained last week by Ben Alexander.”

Fainga'a has similarly been rewarded, after making a strong impact during his Test debut last week against Fiji where he played the final 25 minutes of the game.

His selection had been hinted at when he was omitted from the midweek Tour match squad.

Such has been the level of the turnover in the Australian side: just four players remain in the run on XV from the starting combination when the two sides met last November.

While skipper Rocky Elsom is the only survivor from Australia’s starting pack during the 18-9 win over England at Twickenham, flanker David Pocock and lock Dean Mumm both later featured from the bench.

Among the backs, Mitchell, flyhalf Quade Cooper and inside centre Matt Giteau are the only returnees, although halfback Luke Burgess and fullback O’Connor were un-used substitutes last time. Cooper and Giteau have swapped backline numbers in the time since.

Deans says the turnover in playing resources reflects Australia’s current circumstance with relation to injuries, but also highlights the country’s developing depth, and the greater competition for places within his squad.

“We’ve broadened the playing base a fair bit, and Saturday is a great opportunity for the newer players,” Deans says.

“We’ve already seen a few guys put their hands up in the first two outings that we’ve had as a squad. We will be looking for more of the same on the weekend coming!”

England will field a vastly experienced side, and Deans says his men have no illusions as to the size of the challenge that lies ahead.

“They’ve got a group of great experience in all types of circumstance that is looking to impress,” Deans says.

“We saw many of the traits we will see again this weekend during the Tour match on Tuesday night – most notably the composure England showed after falling behind in the game, and also the direct nature of their play.

“Martin [Johnson] and his team will be determined to deliver a statement of intent, both looking ahead to the rest of this tour but also on to next year and the Rugby World Cup, there’s no doubt about that.”

Australia has won its last two meetings with England, 28-14 two years ago, and by nine points last November. Both games were played in London.

Australia v England – Historical Notes

This is the 38th Test match between Australia and England. Australia has won 22 and England 14 while the 1997 contest in London resulted in a 15-15 draw.
Australia has won 13 of the 15 matches played between the two countries on Australian soil.

Both of England’s wins in Australia occurred in the same year – 2003, firstly 25-14 at Melbourne in the Cook Cup Test, and then 20-17 (after extra time) in the Rugby World Cup final at Sydney, five months later. Current England manager, Martin Johnson, was captain in both of those games.

On Saturday night, Australia is bidding for three consecutive wins over England, which it has achieved just twice previously – between 1984 and 1988 (when Australia won a record four consecutive games) and between 1998 and 1999 (when it won three straight).

The two teams compete for the Cook Cup, which was established in 1997. The Cup is named after Captain James Cook and is currently held by Australia.

Although the links between the countries are undoubtedly close, the intensity of the rivalry between the two is a relatively modern phenomenon. This is evidenced by the fact that only six Tests had been played prior to the 1970s. Australia and England have twice met in Rugby World Cup finals, sharing the spoils one apiece, each having prevailed on the other’s home turf.

Saturday night is the 11th Test to be played by Australia in Perth since 1998. Australia has won six, lost three and drawn one from previous Test outings in the city. All three previous defeats, and the draw, were Tests played against South Africa.

England has never played Australia in Perth, but did beat both Georgia (84-6) and South Africa (25-6) at Subiaco Oval in 2003 during the run to that year’s Rugby World Cup title.
Subiaco Oval is the home ground for the Western Australian-based Australian Rules football teams – the West Coast Eagles and the Freemantle Dockers. The ground dates back to 1896 when the first recorded game of Australian Rules football was played on the site.

D

daz

The engine room and the backrow better come onto the pitch fucking pumped up, ready to kill someone (except Brown- bring that level head with you).

If we lose, I'm going to be bloody ropable. I HATE losing, especially to the fucking Pomies and the goddamn Kiwi's.

Seconded. Well spoken, that man.

HG

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Where the frig is Hynes. Not happy. Should at least be on the bench ahead of Barnes.

Can't put him in the side because he does not cover enough positions.
Barns can play 5/8 and centre, Beal can cover fullback, center, 5/8 and wing if needed.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
First major mistake in this selection: Barnes off the bench and not Hynes. And I agree with other posts noting the probable wisdom of keeping the Reds front row intact in the difficult circumstances we face in this match vs this patch-work quilt that has barely played together, ever.

Btw, the whole forwards debacle shows the strategic error in the ARU not learning the painful lessons of RWC 2007 (and a few years of forwards agony prior to that actually) and beginning a big program to radically improve the _true_ depth of Australia forwards, that's depth in all of numbers, capability, fitness and speed-to-ball, size, and technical skills (especially at breakdown play). This mini-nightmare re injuries for Saturday must be seen in a longer-term context.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Barns can play 5/8 and centre, Beal can cover fullback, center, 5/8 and wing if needed.

Giteau covers 10. Beale covers 10, 12 and 15. JOC (James O'Connor) covers 12 and 10. Horne covers 12. Ioane covers 13.

Do you really think that we need more cover for the inside backs? IMO Hynes deserves to be there, even in front of Beale if not Barnes. I mean, who would you feel more comfortable in coming on to finish off a game at fullback - Hynes or Beale?

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
It really is a meteroic rise for those players in the front row. 12 months ago these 3 names wouldn't have been on anyones squad let alone starting XV. Circumstances, injuries etc, and they are there starting a test match on home soil against England. They'll pinch themselves no doubt between now and Saturday, probably a few times.

It will be a tough day out and could be "one of those nights" where future avatars are created, but a small inkling of me says good on Jim Williams and Deans for not going back to Dunning and Baxter. The ABs are starting two brothers on Saturday night, one with 9 tests (mainly off the pine) and the other on debut. But it's good to see new faces in the set up that at least played well in the S14*

* Disclaimer: this does not include Slipper :)

HG

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Scotty I have never been a fan of Hynes over the years. However this last super season I have been turned around.
However Beale has been playing well and seems to be linking with Cooper well.
I don't think that Deans will use Barns or Beale if not forced to.

T

TOCC

Ioane can 13, JOC (James O'Connor) can play 10 and 12, giteau can play 10 and 12

I dont think that Barnes is absolutely necessary, the only reason i can see Barnes in the squad is so he can sub on for Cooper and then go for a 10 Giteau - 12 Barnes combo later in the game if Quade is out of form...

I think someone like Hynes who can cover the back 3 is more essential over Beal who isnt exactly a good winger.

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
Giteau covers 10. Beale covers 10, 12 and 15. JOC (James O'Connor) covers 12 and 10. Horne covers 12. Ioane covers 13.

Do you really think that we need more cover for the inside backs? IMO Hynes deserves to be there, even in front of Beale if not Barnes. I mean, who would you feel more comfortable in coming on to finish off a game at fullback - Hynes or Beale?

I somehow doubt that Deans wants Rabbit or Beale anywhere near the 10 jersey at this point, so I do not think they "cover 10" at all.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
damm straight Scotty. You said exactly what I think.

Who is going to stiffen our defense if we get exposed out wide? Hynes was the man.

Status
Not open for further replies.