• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallabies versus Wales- SFS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Rees' throwing was so poor that it was impossible to judge if the locks would have had a good game in the lineout if he'd managed to fire a couple straight and at the correct height.

It serves Wales right for losing the 2nd test. Before the match yours truly questioned the omission of the starting hooker in the 1st test, Ken Owens. It didn't make sense because every one of his throws was spot on. Played OK otherwise too; yet he wasn't in the 22 in Melbourne.

There we saw that two of Rees' throws were stolen, one for being too high and not taken properly; a 3rd was not straight and a 4th was over-thrown and lost. Every one of of Australia's throws was on the money. One never knows with sliding doors, but the lineouts could have been the difference in the result.

At least Owens is on the bench this time in case Rees wavers again.

As for the Wallabies team: I realise now that Deans wants a 3-0 preview for the Lions test next year; so I can see the reason for Deans selecting most of the same players for the 3 tests. The choice of Timani is odd though.

In the past we have been plagued by erratic performances from our forwards and the backs have suffered, but the forwards are on a roll now - of two test matches. They are going well at the breakdowns, playing with high tempo, and their lineouts are sound. The scrums when the bench front rowers come on, and the restarts, need improvement, but by and large our forwards don't play a lot better.

But since JOC (James O'Connor), Quade, Kurtley and Drew have been missing from the backline it has lacked sizzle against resolute Wales defence. The return of Beale will help the X-factor efforts of Genia and Ioane, but will he be up to speed?

His return also means that AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) replaces Vuna, a potential weakness, though he will probably prefer the 11 jersey to use his right arm fend.

Not really to the point: but how well is Sharpie going? His running of the lineouts and participating in them is a bonus. It's also a drawback because he won't be playing against the Lions next year and others should get up to speed.

He's irreplaceable right now? I take the point, but just saying ....

Dai bando

Charlie Fox (21)
Just read the team sheet, no surprises, might be a good thing, happy Owens is on the bench, didn't do a lot wrong on his last outing, I was a little surprised to see him omitted from the team completely,
I only hope the Welsh team turns up to play after two very close games it would be a tragedy to turn up to watch the clock down, Personally I think they will come to fight, Some of the team have'nt been playing well so this will be an oportunity to put that right and show the management they were right to stay with them.

Cardiffblue

Jim Lenehan (48)
It serves Wales right for losing the 2nd test. Before the match yours truly questioned the omission of the starting hooker in the 1st test, Ken Owens. It didn't make sense because every one of his throws was spot on. Played OK otherwise too; yet he wasn't in the 22 in Melbourne.

There we saw that two of Rees' throws were stolen, one for being too high and not taken properly; a 3rd was not straight and a 4th was over-thrown and lost. Every one of of Australia's throws was on the money. One never knows with sliding doors, but the lineouts could have been the difference in the result.

At least Owens is on the bench this time in case Rees wavers again.

Serves wales right they lost cos they didn't listen to you? Lee this site it is ok, but personally i d hate to think rob howley was using my ramblings on Gagr to decide the team!

Wales Fan

Alfred Walker (16)
True but you'd expect Howley to have enough nous to realise how solid a game Owens had in the 1st test and leave him in situ. But no bring in another injury ravaged player who's hardly played any rugby in months - sound familiar ?? It seems like a reoccurring theme with this current side unfortunately.

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Tapatalk 2

Cardiffblue

Jim Lenehan (48)
True but you'd expect Howley to have enough nous to realise how solid a game Owens had in the 1st test and leave him in situ. But no bring in another injury ravaged player who's hardly played any rugby in months - sound familiar ?? It seems like a reoccurring theme with this current side unfortunately.
Trouble was when Hibbard came on against the ACT and looked as if he added something. Only when he came on last weekend was he exposed as a lump of lard

Joe Mac

Arch Winning (36)
I'm hoping to see both teams play an exapansive and exciting game of rugby this weekend now that the series has been wrapped up. A dry pitch and a sunny day should bode well for great footy!

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Not really to the point: but how well is Sharpie going? His running of the lineouts and participating in them is a bonus. It's also a drawback because he won't be playing against the Lions next year and others should get up to speed.

He's irreplaceable right now? I take the point, but just saying ...

I liked Adam Ashley-Cooper's comment on The Rugby Club last night. It was something like "he's been playing professional rugby for about 16 years. It's about time he found some form."

Athilnaur

Arch Winning (36)
As for the Wallabies team: I realise now that Deans wants a 3-0 preview for the Lions test next year; so I can see the reason for Deans selecting most of the same players for the 3 tests. The choice of Timani is odd though...

... (Sharpie's) irreplaceable right now? I take the point, but just saying...

Hit the nail on the head as usual LG. Just hope Deans gut call is right and Timani is our man. Would have gone Pyle myself. Maybe Timani is a bigger boost in scrums.

Ath.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Hit the nail on the head as usual LG. Just hope Deans gut call is right and Timani is our man. Would have gone Pyle myself. Maybe Timani is a bigger boost in scrums.

Ath.

I was thinking about this, if Timani wasn't injured in the Scotland game, he may have been used in the two earlier tests.

Is it the right call? dunno

Looking at the team, the lock to pack with Sharpe is the biggest question looking towards the "Rugby Championship" to me, the front row and backrow appear pretty settled.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I hope Nic White finally gets his debut tomorrow. He must be getting pretty frustrated waiting for his opportunity after two games on the bench for 80 minutes.

Hopefully it also isn't a less than five minute token appearance. That would kind of cheapen the moment.

Reactions: BDA

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
25 years ago to the week since the third place playoff at inaugural RWC. It's an omen!

The signs are all coming together for you C/B or are they?

25 years since the Rotorua RWC87 victory. You are predicting a win by 6. The 6N video finally shows up. You have found your lucky beanie, et al. The Coaches and Selectors are still not listening to you. The Breadman is overdue some form. etc.

Omens can be manipulated and are sometimes deceptive. Beware the power of the Gnome. Unlike the Breadman, he has been in form and his magic has been strong.

The Men from the Valleys are shoe in to flog the Colonials by a country mile. Fact.

Or is it?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I think it's going to be a game of two halves and rugby will be the winner on the day.

The team that done good will come out on top.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
I've said it once, and I'll say it again! May the Rugby be fast, the ref insignificant and may the best team win!

Loving this series! We've been blessed with some fantastic Rugby of late! :D Happy camper!

Joe Mac

Arch Winning (36)
I was thinking about this, if Timani wasn't injured in the Scotland game, he may have been used in the two earlier tests.

Is it the right call? dunno

Looking at the team, the lock to pack with Sharpe is the biggest question looking towards the "Rugby Championship" to me, the front row and backrow appear pretty settled.

Out of interest FatProp, do you know about whether Timani is a good scrummager?

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)

Ath.

I'm sure Timani is being developed. Deans obviously thinks he can exploit the man's athletic gifts, although the many coaches on here will scoff!

JJJ

Vay Wilson (31)
I'd be interested to know how many times we've won 3 matches in a row in the last 5 years or so. Anyone know where I could look that up? I did a bit of an internet trawl but came up blank.

Also, does Timani play tighthead lock for the tahs? Is that where he played against Scotland? Apologies if this has been covered earlier in the thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.