• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallabies versus Wales- SFS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Your comparison only focuses on points scored.

Based on your "value to the team" analysis, if you don't score any points you are worthless!

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Yes, Harris kicks goals but he doesn't offer much else.

He's only there due to injuries to several other players.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Come on guys, Dougy is clearly pulling our legs with all this.

Good on you Doug, well played mate. You really had me for a moment there, claiming that Harris was a better player than Beale, you old dog you...

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I just dislike the centers. Both Horne and mcabe are to similar. If JOC (James O'Connor)
Was in there with one of them I think the bl would be so much more potent.

I suppose you want us to go back to 2010 where we conceded a shitload of points?

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Are you saying that Horne and McCabe are the only ones that can defend?

Dominant tacklers that aren't passive their tackling - Barnes, JOC (James O'Connor), Giteau are all capable defenders but they don't put the attacker on their arse or hit them hard, they tackle low around the legs and don't make a good hit; the attackers gets over the ad. line easily and get quick ball..Basically you don't let the attackers fall on their own terms.

Let's not forget Tom Carter and McCabe ran right through O'Connor several times this year.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Part of that issue is that JOC (James O'Connor) had Cipriani at 10 who he didn't trust.

It's a bit different when the whole defensive line trusts the players inside and outside them.

I think McCabe and Horne have been really good against Wales. McCabe scored a strong try in the first test and Horne nabbed one in the second. If they have another strong test together they will make quite a case to be the centre pairing when the Rugby Championship starts regardless of who comes back from injury.

We have tried so many centre pairings over the last few years that I expect Deans will be keen to persist with one providing they are working on the field and remain healthy (a big if for McCabe and Horne).

It is what it is

John Solomon (38)
Part of that issue is that JOC (James O'Connor) had Cipriani at 10 who he didn't trust.

It's a bit different when the whole defensive line trusts the players inside and outside them.

I think McCabe and Horne have been really good against Wales. McCabe scored a strong try in the first test and Horne nabbed one in the second. If they have another strong test together they will make quite a case to be the centre pairing when the Rugby Championship starts regardless of who comes back from injury.

We have tried so many centre pairings over the last few years that I expect Deans will be keen to persist with one providing they are working on the field and remain healthy (a big if for McCabe and Horne).
Agree that they both defend well and as long as we have Genia, Ioane, Beale and/or O'Connor to drive the attack it's a well balanced backline.
Barnes is just keeping the 10 spot warm for someone else, but will be OK against Wales.

J

Jiggles

Throughout the Deans tenure our defense against the All Blacks has been pretty good. Apart from the odd blow out the scores have been relatively tight. In the 2010 season I remember thinking the same thing with Giteau-Barnes-Horne and Giteau-Fainga'a-Ashley-Cooper for the first two bledisloe games, and I think we have come full circle with Barnes-McCabe-Horne in the centres. Line breaks just didn't happen in those tests, and it wasn't until Cooper shuffled in that we actually looked like scoring points.

We need centres that can crack the All Blacks line, and I just don't think a McCabe-Horne combination does this at all. I trust McCabe in defense far more than Horne too. A JOC (James O'Connor)-McCabe pairing would be a bit more dynamic and resemble one of our best, if not the best centre pairing we have ever had in Horan and Herbert.

Lee Enfield

Jimmy Flynn (14)
If Cooper is th future at 10 for the Wallabies, then Harris and Barnes are the two best options for 12 and personally, I wouldn't mind seeing Tapuai at 13 when fit. Shift AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) to the bench and carry either lucas or white as the other reserve back.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Throughout the Deans tenure our defense against the All Blacks has been pretty good. Apart from the odd blow out the scores have been relatively tight. In the 2010 season I remember thinking the same thing with Giteau-Barnes-Horne and Giteau-Fainga'a-Ashley-Cooper for the first two bledisloe games, and I think we have come full circle with Barnes-McCabe-Horne in the centres. Line breaks just didn't happen in those tests, and it wasn't until Cooper shuffled in that we actually looked like scoring points.

We need centres that can crack the All Blacks line, and I just don't think a McCabe-Horne combination does this at all. I trust McCabe in defense far more than Horne too. A JOC (James O'Connor)-McCabe pairing would be a bit more dynamic and resemble one of our best, if not the best centre pairing we have ever had in Horan and Herbert.

I wouldn't trust JOC (James O'Connor) to hold out Sonny Bill or Nonu though.......

J

Jiggles

If Cooper is th future at 10 for the Wallabies, then Harris and Barnes are the two best options for 12 and personally, I wouldn't mind seeing Tapuai at 13 when fit. Shift AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) to the bench and carry either lucas or white as the other reserve back.

Harris isn't a test option, really.

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
Mike Harris: 9 points from 2 tests (one lasting 6 minutes) = 4.5 average.
Kurtley Beale: 51 points from 22 tests = 2.31 average.

Perhaps you're the one with the health problem dear chap!
Baxter was lucky to get a game then , didn't he only score 2 tries in about 150 games for NSW/Wallabies?

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
JOC (James O'Connor) smashed victor last year. He is one of our best defenders and still getting better. Besides if defense is what we want then ant should be picked over both Horne or mcabe.

Http://www.youtube.com/shiggins316

How so?

McCabe's defensive stats would suggest otherwise.......

JOC (James O'Connor) has also been run over multiple times this year. Maybe that's just the Rebels culture?

J

Jiggles

Horne has missed a large number of tackles this year, I think the most of any Australian Back, and it hasn't dented his Wallaby credentials, so I don't think it should stop JOC (James O'Connor).

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
TBH that stat has come right back Jiggles, think Horne was leading after two rounds but has tightened significantly since then. Will check it when I have a second.

<edit> It's still not great. 26 tackles missed, second worts Aussie back (behind Phipps) and 9th worst in the comp.

Status
Not open for further replies.