• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallabies v Wales Game 2 Sat 13 July Melbourne

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
Wonder what the crowd will be like? Most Wallabies fans in Melbourne will be Tahs, Reds or Brumbies fans anyhow

Tomthumb

Dick Tooth (41)
If we are going to drop a lock it should be LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto). Thought he was very untidy.
Really? I thought he was pretty good, was involved a lot and his weight in the scrum was certainly important

Derpus

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I honestly have no idea how to tell who's weight in the scrum was important so I will just concede that point. Was he not at fault for a couple of lineout infringements prior to the first Welsh try (maybe I am getting the player wrong).

Anyway, I didn't think he was terrible just not great either.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Someone on Twitter was praising his work behind Tupou helping to keep Tupou straighter in the scrum, where he had a tendency to bore in at times. Like 99% of us, scrums are some strange occult ritual to me, so it sounded credible! His work in the dark places was probably better than the obvious stuff in the open. I reckon he was pretty sound.

rugbyAU

Alan Cameron (40)
Ikitau is back this week:

"Outside-centre Len Ikitau is eligible for selection after overcoming a minor hamstring issue and could come into the starting XV for Josh Flook".

Last edited:

Tomikin

David Codey (61)
The guy threw 3 passes and made 4 tackles, and your thoughts are he'll be one of the best 5/8s in the world. No offence to Noah or Tom, they are both to slow and too small to be the best 5/8s in the world. They be as good as we can get at the moment..

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Back 3 played well (although Daagunu will need to work on his kicking).

The only issue is that apart from Wright there’s a real lack of speed there- I was astounded at how slow Filipino’s top gear was.
That’s why I would not mind Lancaster starting with Daugunu on the bench. If not Lancaster then Pietch. Daugunu was heavily involved and played well but he is a bit slow as an outright winger these days and does not have the best boot.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
I think the long term options are likely Marika K. and Corey Toole. I assume Lancaster will get a run in the next few weeks. I see him and Pietsch as being on a similar level. Lancaster may offer more?

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
You need a few blokes in the pack to just provide grunt and do the hard yakka. I think they were Williams, Wright, McReight and Valetini last week. Kailea and Cale were also very busy when they came on. Clean outs tackles ruck involvements etc.

PhilClinton

Tony Shaw (54)
How long term do you think Marika is? He is 32 this month and been playing in the Japanese retirement league.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
I hear he is still ripping it up. Hard worker, finds work off the ball etc etc. I think he will easily remain top notch through the next World Cup.
He will have competition, which is a very good thing.
Suali also joining next year To also push for a spot.

Wallabies

Chris McKivat (8)
My team:

1. Hodgman
2. Faessler
3. Tupou
4. Salakai-Loto
5. Frost
6. Wright
7. McReight
8. Valetini
9. Gordon
10. Lolesio
11. Daugunu
12. Paisami
13. Flook (Ikitau if available)
14. Kellaway
15. Wright

16. Pollard
17. Kailea
18. Ala'alatoa
19. Smith
20. Cale
21. McDermott
22. Lynagh
23. Pietsch

Give Slipper a rest, Hodgman to debut and keep the hitman Kailea on the bench to bring some spark.
Frost in for Williams, I thought Williams was a passenger on the field and really didn't offer much.
Keep Lolesio at 10 for another week, although he wasn't great, think we should give him a chance before ruining his confidence.
Smith for Blyth, want to see what Smith can do.

Don't want there to be too many changes, think it's important to build some cohesion and get some wins on the board.
This is pretty much the exact same squad i would pick too. I think Frost to come in, Ikitau and hodgman.

Yoda

Jim Clark (26)
He's also got the third Welsh game next weekend to play with. I reckon we will see a Queensland heavy team this week for the test...
I would suggest it may be the exact opposite. Resting some Queenslanders for Melbourne Test knowing they get to play in the Reds side v Wales? This gives others an opportunity. Joe is still working out his best 23 for the big guys. ABs and the Saffers.

Yoda

Jim Clark (26)
Yes. I suspect Donaldson will be at least on the bench this week. Joe’s on record as saying he doesn’t know all the players that well, so I suspect he will be using these 3 Tests to find his best 23. Can also understand him sticking with the same side. Who’d be a coach.