• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallabies v Wales Game 2 Sat 13 July Melbourne

Tomikin

David Codey (61)
I don't think it's an issue of size, just an issue if you are comparing to the best in the world. Some things you can't coach are size and speed, I don't think Noah or Tom will ever be a Richie Mo'unga, or an even closer example is Damian McKenzie; both are probably the same size but much slower.

We don't need them to be that though we need them to be themselves and the best as they can.

Froggy

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
I think a great 10, in addition to a kicking game, a play-maker and an organisier, has to be an attacking threat. If he's not eg Noah or Edmed, it allows the defence to concentrate on the 12. McKenzie and Mounga are both attacking threats, and our greatest 10s like Ella and Larkham certainly were.

Joe Blow

John Hipwell (52)
Noah has had some good games this year finding space through the middle and backing up. Lynagh too. They both play much closer to the line than Donaldson. He has a bit more speed and vision with space.
I thought Wales were offside quite a lot on the weekend and really cramped up our play one off the ruck. Hopefully JS and co will find a way to counter it if the ref doesn’t pull them up this week.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
This is where I think Donaldson has it over both Noah and Lynagh. Would like to see him get a run in Joe's team against Wales and/or Georgia.
Whereas I think we need to stick and just have less changes without injury for these key roles for a while. I want to see some trust and comfort built that they know where the links are

We aren't good enough to have regular changes unless injury or pure fatigue require them

Derpus

Nathan Sharpe (72)
At the very least Petaia is a great bench option. But IMO he's also a better winger than Daugunu. He also has some experience at FB now and could probably play the quasi-FB role on the right wing.

Tomthumb

Desmond Connor (43)
At the very least Petaia is a great bench option. But IMO he's also a better winger than Daugunu. He also has some experience at FB now and could probably play the quasi-FB role on the right wing.
He's injured so much that you just cant ever rely on him to be available at this point

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Personally I thought Donaldson was the best Aussie 10 in Super Rugby this year
And if the wallaby structure suited him he would be there and starting, it appears the two chosen kind of play the same

Donaldson is best when he plays flat at the advantage line, the other two don't

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
I'm confused, Donaldson plays flat at the advantage line while also playing deeper than the other two. Which is it? Or is it both? Does he vary his game more than the other two perhaps playing what's in front of him? One thing I'm confident of is that he breaks the defensive line more frequently than both of the other two.

Maulalltheway

Tom Lawton (22)
this is proof that the general public have sweet FA idea. None of us have any idea of what Joe and co want from our players and if im honest every one of us needs to take our Super rugby jerseys off and park the partisan BS. its all a guess

House is on Fire

Frank Nicholson (4)
I think the difference is Donaldson likes to start deep and attack the line at pace, cause the defence to move and react, and look to create opportunities to run or hit a target close to or even past the defensive line. Lolesio is less likely to do this but instead he acts as the link player by steering the team around the park and getting the ball into the right areas when an opportunity presents. He can sit deep, sit shallow, or anything in between depending on the team structure and shape. Lolesio's less likely to create something out of nothing, but he's very good at controlling the play, organising the shape, picking his moments and getting the ball into the hands of an attacking player when they spot an opportunity.

Hogan

Herbert Moran (7)
Donaldson is at his best when he gets his running game going like he did at the Force this year. Their attacking game plan suited him much more than the structured and conservative one at the Waratahs. He was a threat to opposition defences often.

I think Schmidt will use all 10’s initially before deciding on his chosen one for the Tests against NZ, South Africa and Argentina.

Tomthumb

Desmond Connor (43)
this is proof that the general public have sweet FA idea. None of us have any idea of what Joe and co want from our players and if im honest every one of us needs to take our Super rugby jerseys off and park the partisan BS. its all a guess
Yes but coaching and selecting are different skills, and not all great coaches are great selectors. This is different for Joe than Ireland because he doesn't really know the players like he knew the Irish guys so acting as if he's even 100% sure of selections yet seems presumptive

Also, this notion that a coach is some infallible being that's knowledge could not possibly be comprehended by mere idiots like you and I always seems overstated. They're human, they make bad and ill-advised decisions just like professionals in every other job